John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try to darken the inside ?
Works like a treat.
I have one like that, don't know why it does-not enter my CD player.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Are you open minded, Joachim, or are you with Esperado?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWa7V17n2no

9k=

Last edited:
Well, green and red give grey. Actually Allen Perkins marketed a CD mat many years ago that had being designed by a photographer friend of his. You know how good Allen is as a black and white Leica artist.
The claim was that the specially chosen green of that mat diffused the red light laser stray optimally.
Anyway, your "small" Constalation phono stage came out as best phono product of the year in Absolute Sound. Valin even said the " This John Curls Masterpiece".
How much better must be the big one ? You take me too serious, i am just a poor guy....

Joachim, you don't need to be a 'poor guy'. You have real talent, I saw your loudspeaker prototypes at Allen's place. Just remember, know and acknowledge when you are compromising, and pick the best of your ideas to run with, at ANY given price point. I have "$1" power amps that I am proud of. You have yours, also. Don't give up, or get too discouraged. '-)

Hang in there, fas42. I'm with you on this. Bybee? Who cares? Colored pens, why not?
'-)
Thanks for the encouragement, John. All this fiddling with CDs, coloured pens, treatments, stickers on top, are roundabout ways of creating a more benign electrical environment inside the CD player: reduce the electronic hash generated by the transport mechanism doing its job of reading the bits off correctly, and the analogue side is then in better shape.

Frank

Insisting so much on this point, it seems that you really have a problem. Apart electronic slight differences due to temperature stabilization, and acoustic ones due to humidity, air pressure changes, or people in the room, i can't imagine my system to sound different one day from an other. And all those effects does-not deeply affect the body of the reproduced music.
Christophe, you create a good balance here in the forum! I've already explained the circumstances of my system, and what I'm after; as John has just mentioned, at times a system can sound shockingly good, and the big challenge is to capture the essence of that ... what is making that happen? Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet; one has to grind away, grind away at all the little niggling factors that degrade sound, in myriads of ways. And this is a frustrating, irksome, tiring journey ...

Frank

I have one like that, don't know why it does-not enter my CD player.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

First you need to get one of these to trim it down to the proper diameter:

Next you need to get one of these to make the hole smaller:

Then you're all set to pop it in and enjoy!

:p

se

Steve Eddy,
I just needed something like that years ago when my kids decided that you could play a cd on my turntable. Just cut some grooves and you got it right! Didn't do the stylus much good though. I finally got around to replacing it after all these years of just sitting there. At least they won't do that again!

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.