John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you're expounding on something about which you have little knowledge?

I know enough philosophy to know that QM isn't the whole show - Joshua does too as he's pointed out one of its limitations. I freely admit zero knowledge in the area of, for example, Quantum Field Theory. I just don't see how its relevant when commenting on the practice of physics nowadays.

I know more about, say, genetics than the Average Joe, but there's no way on a forum devoted to garage bioscience where there are real experts that I'd try telling people about what genetics does and doesn't say, and quote-mining James Watson. But that's just me, feel free to expound, there's no rules against it.

Don't see how your analogy is relevant here to what I've been saying - if there are indeed real experts on the state of physics today lurking in the background, I'd like to hear from them. They'll need to address the points Smolin makes in his book with cogent rebuttals. I'm quite capable of holding my own against reasonable arguments. I'm only going to expound if there's any curiosity, otherwise I'll keep my enormous learning for another opportunity.:D

One doesn't need philosophy for that, since no-one has ever made that claim.

You're on record as claiming Joshua misunderstood basic physics for saying something similar to that - that QM is rather odd and obviously incomplete.

And the whole QM thing is irrelevant to designing a hifi preamp.

I've claimed that its not, since QM helps point the way towards resolving the subjective/objective dichotomy in audio. John appears to me to be leaning in that direction too with the book list he's given us.

But some people confuse religion and scamming with actual science, so that was the point I've addressed.

Where? Did I miss it?

I like complementary designs that tubes don't allow. I used tubes, exclusively, for the first 5 years of my getting into hi fi, and a Dyna Pas3 or a Mac C22 for the next 5 years, until Mark and I developed the JC-2 preamp. I hated early solid state, still do.
All else being equal, tubes are better. but solid state is a real intellectual challenge, and more practical too.

Status
Not open for further replies.