Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 17th February 2018, 07:10 PM   #99991
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
You asked about non-linear resistors, well I think guitar effects pedal guys love 'em the more obscure NOS ones the better. Same goes for many pathologically flawed components, the things they do are hard to duplicate by linear reasoning. They can also find use in stabilizing oscillators or in making oscillators if the non-linearity goes negative.

It’s also an “all original” resale issue, and of course the fetish of it.

I think the carbon comp hiss is really just embedded in the guitar players psyche as to being “right”.

I also think that if you looked at the science underneath it, its due to the ways in which certain vintage parts “don’t work properly in interesting ways under interesting conditions” rather than in more predictable ways, which I think is part of the guitarists creative process. I think the moisture issues and value fluctuation with carbon comps may play a big roll.

This process probably began by non-EE minded guitarists simply screwing around. Borbely had a nice quote which I’ll butcher- don’t disregard their experience, just reconsider their explanation.

I’d like to point you all to a fascinating article / podcast regarding “working properly”.

The best selling solo piano record of all time was recorded using a badly broken and out of tune piano, partly to appease the very upset and begging young German girl who had booked the show and also partly with the intention to use the recording as a illustration of “what can go wrong” when organizers are ill equipped.

You 2.0: Embrace the Chaos | Hidden Brain : NPR

Tim Harford: How frustration can make us more creative | TED Talk

Last edited by spaceistheplace; 17th February 2018 at 07:24 PM.

Old 17th February 2018, 07:22 PM   #99992
Tournesol is offline Tournesol  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
My money is on Mark to open page 10000
Lost.
Came from the space ;-)

Old 17th February 2018, 07:27 PM   #99993
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

My money is on Mark to post #100000 Double or quits

Old 17th February 2018, 07:28 PM   #99994
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

To whom do I send my address for the free blowtorch? ;-)

Old 17th February 2018, 07:30 PM   #99995
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
My money is on Mark to post #10000 Double or quits
That honor went to Mr: JC ###

Old 17th February 2018, 07:35 PM   #99996
DPH is online now DPH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Hi Daniel,
Thank you for your considered tone. I do appreciate it.

Once carefully demonstrating what is possible with a small group, we would need to study a more representative sample of the general population so see what the probability of certain listening ability is in untrained persons. That is something probably more applicable to cases where an untrained person makes claims arising from casual listening (at least a start in that direction, but not the end).
A lot gets lost in the mix, for sure, and we all shorthand longer thoughts. Clearly I've gotten frustrated with you a few times before, and pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

I think you sell yourself short; obviously you have trained yourself quite carefully, which appears a big component of hearing test sensitivity, and the amount of energy above even 2-4 kHz drops pretty quick. We obviously don't have an idea how you "stack up" against the population. Again, we're going to interpret things differently here; I see it as further validation of the bulk range of capability, you see it as an opening for further discernment. Agree to disagree?

I have also not proffered my own test results because I think a bad data point would be a disservice, so be it far from me disrespecting those who gave it a good shot.

And, yes, testing the population that has the best chance of hearing subtleties is probably as good as it gets, which is probably musically talented youth who have been given substantial training. A good troupe of mastering engineers would be excellent for sure, but they are also invested in the idea of their capability, so that's an uphill battle. Lots can be said about test conditions and experimental criteria, which would launch us into a different great debate.

Daniel

P.S. Won't be me, as I'm off to work. Woohoo!

Old 17th February 2018, 07:38 PM   #99997
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

@ TNT, Ha, Cheat!

Old 17th February 2018, 07:39 PM   #99998
diyAudio Member

Old 17th February 2018, 07:40 PM   #99999
diyAudio Member

But how about 5 nines copper cables

//

Old 18th February 2018, 02:33 AM   #100000
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

See new thread, "John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III"

Closed Thread

John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part IIHide this!Advertise here!