More snake oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,
the conducter inside seems to have the size of a phone lead. In case of a short in the associate equipment it will be end up in a nice firework.
Here in Germany the ordinary domestic mains socket are fused with an 16Amp circuit breaker and we have 230Volts mains voltage.

I would never trust such kind of mains leads. I make my own one´s with , a 3 core 1,5mm² flex bought from the local diy store an fit it with qulity plugs and receptacles.

I tell you to take the safety rules always serious. Keep the the parameters always in their limits.
Electricity is a reliable servant, but never challenge it as it could turn into a worstful demon.

regards from Hamburg
Wolfgang

Not from museum, but scrap yard.

Gabdx1 said:
The 40’s wire must be from the western electric company museum of honk-Kong.

Cheers

Back in the eightes and ninties, there had been lots of junk including WE transformers, telephone switches and other stuffs shipped from US to Hong Kong and nearby Southern China as scrap. This was when US changed from analog telephone to now fiberoptic communications.

Those poor scrap yard folks used to get the copper from the cables and irons from the transformer cores and sold them as scrap metal for a few cents a pound. The working codition was very poor and there were lots of toxic wastes generated during these process. The US government would not allow such practice in US soils.

Somehow some scrapyard folks found that they could make more money byactually selling the wires as Western Electric wires off eBay.

Whether these Western Electric old wires sound better than new ones are a matter of debate but the quality of the wires are pretty good as they can stand the abuse of several decades of usage, left in the scrapyard for months to years before someone salvaged them and now still in good shape.

Steve Eddy said:
Seriously, Mapleshade should be put out of business for selling power cords like this.

As long as you hang them in these
cable_lift.jpg

They should hopefully not set your house on fire ;)

p.s. Out of business? Out of their misery strangled slowly using
a pair of “outrigger” ground wires
from the MKII version :D

A bit of old fabric cable and toaster plug/skt to remember: An early German 1940's analogue power meter with well exposed rear connections often used in installation work. Still accurate, but dangerous in un-experienced hands. These types of metal cased power sockets have been banned for some time are still rel. common in workshops in both the UK and continent.

richy

Attachments

• wattm.jpg
    wattm.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 465
I've never seen old fashioned 'hot equipment' plugs made out of metal. Usually those were made out of porcelain and bakelite.
The metal cased equipment socket is, imho, no safety problem as it is part of the class I metalcase anyway.
What puzzled me, were there metal cased mains plugs shown by the threadstarter.
Plugs are directly touched and usually object of severe mechanical forces and abuse.
Regards

I can't find a picture at the moment but someone makes AC plugs for military equipment with two prongs. The outer case is metal and theres a screw to attach a 3rd ground prong if needed.

Now the plugs in that auction are probably plastic with a fancy sticker or fake metal design printed on them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.