And what did we buy today?

Ultegra 6800 doesn't avoid it. This is second failure in the same area, both times saved by the same bike shop. Cable snapped in the shifter and after cutting through the outer sheath.

Every four months like clockwork, on either the 6700 or the same vintage of 105. I didn’t think 6800 or 7900 would be any better - everything “new” always has to be worse. I’m not even thinking about 11 speed. With the old 7800 shifters I had (10 years and 2 carbon bikes) the cables would just get grungy inside the housing and not move freely after a year prompting replacement, but never break off like that and make me finish in 2 gears. Eventually, the return springs rusted out on the shifters, and that was the end of that era. Tried SRAM for a while, but they start getting flaky in about a year, and it’s almost impossible to shift them in heavy winter gloves.

Bought a new saddle for the spinner bike at home, the same type as the one I've had on my road bike for a couple of years. It's a much better fit than the original on the exercycle. Ironically, since I got such a great deal on the spinner (Bladez OG) at the thrift store, the saddle actually cost more than the bike. :)

They weren’t supposed to be. But shimano has made changes over the years, and the new ones end up ripping the ends off the cables in short order. You *do* shift a lot more with those integrated shift/brake levers so they would wear cables more than the old down tube shifters do, but it’s just gotten ridiculous with the current generation. It’s just like switch mode power supplies that burn out in 2 years, replacing transformers that last forever. Progress.

Now that you mention it, I do notice others shifting quite a bit more with the new stuff out on the trails, even on short hills. I probably would too if I had them. As it is, I still try to reach for the levers often. I seem to have a knack for pulling tendons, so I don't try to grind up the slopes like I did when I was younger & more heroic. :eek:/

Eventually, the return springs rusted out on the shifters
Not a worry here since the original shifters shattered into a $500 repair bill after a low speed low side. The crash occured on heaved pavement metres from the open door of a bicycle shop. The employee witnessing it felt a carbon frame would have folded, elevating it into a complete write off.
Spurious 'progress' isn't just a hifi phenomenon.

Pair of midbass horns. Martin Audio SB115. Same model was used by Supertramp in 1977, albeit with Gauss drivers and not Celestion.

Attachments

• 115 3671228498_0ca98bd295_o.jpg
    115 3671228498_0ca98bd295_o.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 223
The latest tool acquisition. Went out to the place where the new compound is going, and found a big tree down completely blocking one of the smaller hay fields so it didn’t get harvested with the rest of it in July. Got an excuse to go out again in a couple weeks for a work day. My little electric won’t cut the mustard.

Need to look into a welding rig suitable for building pipe fence, trailer repair, and barn building next. Wondering about maybe combined generator/welder.

Attachments

• 8F639ACA-3268-4AAE-8D78-41F25368CA13.jpeg
    8F639ACA-3268-4AAE-8D78-41F25368CA13.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 205
I ordered some 6mm M3 standoffs...

I found a large bag of standoffs being trashed a couple of years ago, chromed brass, and polyethylene. (About 500 each)

I admit, I thought about selling some on eBay.

One length, 22mm, and through hole for M4.

Since then, all my Manhatten building have had additional ceiling height!

Back ON topic

Today I received my semi order....well I bought some ZTX450/550....

And I must have bought them twice...because I have two identical orders...

That would have gotten the second shipment held up and confirmed by my bank…. Happened TWICE ordering speakers from PE - when they had half on hand and the rest on back order shipped in a couple of days. Duplicate charges close together get flagged automatically.

So did you have the brain fart, or the supplier this time?