And what did we buy today?

I bought a Crest Pro 3301 for $200 shipped. I only bought it because cosmetically, it's in fantastic shape. Turns out it works, and I don't see any evidence of it ever being opened before.

What's amazing to me is that despite being from 1994 (best I can tell), the inside is almost clean enough to eat off of. There's also no evidence that it's ever been rack-mounted before. Makes me suspect that it was either a spare that saw little use, or was used only occasionally in a studio.

Planning to do a couple of modifications to the peak limiter circuit, maybe a quieter fan (though it really isn't all that loud) and some bias adjustments. THD is pretty much pinned at 0.02% regardless of load- that makes me wonder if maybe the THD is dominated by the NE5517-based peak limiter circuit. I'll have to do some more digging to know for sure.

Should make a nice little amp for driving studio monitors / home stereo. It's the smallest amplifier from that series, rated at about 230W into 8 ohms- so it isn't ridiculous. Compared to most pro amps, I think the cosmetic design is rather tasteful.

Pro amps are hit and miss, IMO, but I generally like the design of this one. It looks like Crest did their homework and designed a good amplifier.

Attachments

• 20210211_190109.jpg
    20210211_190109.jpg
    900.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210211_190117.jpg
    20210211_190117.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 124
I got a pair of Tectonic 3.5" BMR drivers - more my speed price wise. Supposedly has wide dispersion. Want to try those Japanese pipes having the driver facing straight up, using these. Unsure how it's supposed to work, when I'm used to an "on-axis" speaker, but it'll be entertaining to see. Yah - more speakers and the paint isnt even dry on my new TABAQs with the W5-2143s.

I also got a Dayton DAEFX25FHE exciter, to see if it can be used as a contact microphone to measure cabinet wall resonance. What's $13 against curiosity?

This weekend is amp component procurement day :)

Yesterday and today have been parts procurement days for a sequencer project for my Eurorack music synthesizer. Orders to Mouser and Digikey went in this morning. I ordered the board set directly from the designer yesterday.

Super Sixteen PCB and Panel set w/ microcontroller
– Extralife Instruments

I almost bit on some surplus Exar XR2206 chips, but decided that I have too many half finished projects already. These are hard to find. Good for making a function generator....or a VCO for your synth.

G25507 - EXAR XR-2206CP Monolithic Function Generator

The Jordan drivers were pretty popular maybe 12 or 13 years ago, then they seemed to vanish. Google found their current web site with a pair of 600 GBP drivers.

welcome - E J Jordan Designs

I bought a Crest Pro 3301 for $200 shipped. ...

Pro amps are hit and miss, IMO, but I generally like the design of this one. It looks like Crest did their homework and designed a good amplifier.
that’s cool!

I went to eBay and typed in Crest Pro. I got toothpaste. I added power amplifier and got ‘Moviola’. WTF is this? sounds like something off of Seinfeld.

Attachments

• 8AC7B9E2-E08F-4346-98AB-F157C5D18841.jpeg
    8AC7B9E2-E08F-4346-98AB-F157C5D18841.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 97