And what did we buy today?

I’m worried that I’ve started buying cameras like old triodes, it’s becoming compulsive. I think I better stop now before I get my credit card bill.

Which reminds me, I’d better start building something with those triodes soon.

Attachments

• C12BAE40-9DAE-468A-A88A-2E271D357AF5.jpeg
    C12BAE40-9DAE-468A-A88A-2E271D357AF5.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Collecting film cameras was my thing in the 80's and early 90's, everything from 35mm to 8X10. I was an active B&W photographer at the time.

Is that a Rollei 2.8F or a 3.5F? I have a nice 3.5F, but with not a lot of doodads. I also have a Yashica 12 with all the fixings - a nice workhorse camera, but without the snob appeal of the Rollei. The Rollei 35 is also a nice little compact workhorse - I have a couple...

Yes, a TLR and it’s the f3.5 Planar. You don’t need a lot of doodads if you ask me.

There’s something special about using a TLR that I like, and the big viewfinder really helps. I would love to see a path forward to a digital TLR with optical finder of course.

I owned one before, probably a decade ago. I bought and sold it for the same price. But medium format film is on a roll again (pun intended) and it’s costing me 3x to get back what I had, although it is in better cosmetic condition.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I used to love pretending to take photos with mine. I took it to a camera shop a few years back to see if it could be used, but they said it was bent and would never be able to get a light seal.

looking through the TLR is definitely a different experience.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I couldn't use it to take photos, but still managed to use it to make some photos ;)

Tony.

Attachments

• Through_the_TLR.jpg
    Through_the_TLR.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 239
  • The_alternate_view.jpg
    The_alternate_view.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 259
When I speak of doodads for my camera, I mean things like filters, flash bracket, synch cable, cable shutter release, etc.

I was trying to get some accessories for the Rollei off Ebay a few years ago, but at the time, we were plagued with a thief at the USPS distribution station that made off with a lot of packages destined for folks at my place of work. He was eventually nabbed, but none of us got any of our missing items back... Right now, my Rollei has a yellow filter - I would at least want red, yellow, orange, and UV filters, as well as a flash bracket/hand grip. Rollei also has a pistol grip for the TLR, but that's a little weird.

I did a rough count, and I own about 14 cameras of various sorts - 35mm, 6X6, 6X7, 2X3, 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10.

I’m worried that I’ve started buying cameras like old triodes, it’s becoming compulsive. I think I better stop now before I get my credit card bill. Which reminds me, I’d better start building something with those triodes soon.

Back in my film and darkroom days I had a rather large collection of odd and somewhat old cameras. Some of them actually worked! Most were from hamfests, flea markets, and yard sales. My TLR was a Yashicamat 6X6 cm (120 roll film). It took excellent pictures, and was used most often with Ektachrome 64 which I developed (E6 process) and printed myself.

I had 6X9 cm and 4X5 inch view cameras. Both worked, but took sheet film. 4 X 5 sheets were not stocked at the local camera shop, but I did get them to order me some B&W sheets, Tri-X or Plus-x, don't remember which. I made a jig to cut 120 or 620 roll film into sheets for the 6X9 camera. I only had two or three sheet film cartridges, so I didn't take many pictures with it.

I gave all of it to a collector when the darkroom was dismantled. I also gave him my 1955 vintage Durst enlarger which took up to a 4 X 5 INCH negative, and filter packs for color printing, as the dichro head was not yet invented when it was made.

Fortunately I haven't had the urge to buy any film cameras in maybe 25 years......not the case with old triodes though.

Fortunately I haven't had the urge to buy any film cameras in maybe 25 years......not the case with old triodes though.

We careful, these old cameras can have a similar appeal. With places to develop the film for you and a scanner of your own there’s no need for a darkroom at all. This approach is called hybrid photography. Many parallels to our audio hobby, analogue & digital, and film development = high gain low noise amplifier, endless debates about the subjective qualities of ‘old glass’ and film vs the objective performance of modern glass and digital. But old cameras can be fine pieces of engineering craftsmanship just like a golden era TT.

Last edited:
looking through the TLR is definitely a different experience.

nice shots, would love to see a clearer image of the front of your TLR.

I used to like b&w when I previously owned a TLR, at least a decade ago and maybe longer.

Attachments

• D52A283A-16CA-4A88-8F9B-4BDB884E0DAE.jpg
    D52A283A-16CA-4A88-8F9B-4BDB884E0DAE.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 84
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nice collection! :)

Here are a couple of pics of the Voightlander, It's in pretty bad shape. I guess I got it probably when I was 3 years old, so to be expected :D I think it is a "Brilliant". You can see from the controls that it was a cheap camera.

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_2322_00001.jpg
    DSC_2322_00001.jpg
    724.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_2323_00001.jpg
    DSC_2323_00001.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 75