And what did we buy today?

Corelle is great, we've nothing else for years, and I don't see any reason to change now. 10 years later the dishes all look like new and none are broken, chipped, etc.

Anyway, attached something fun that came in the mail today :)

Attachments

• 20201020_123630.jpg
    20201020_123630.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 142
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Our "daily driver" dishes are Corelle. Love 'em.

My mother has a set of bone china that gets used twice a year. They are beautiful, but I don't see the practicality.

The stuff we just ordered will get used any time we have company. There are 12 sets, so if a few get broken over the years we won't be heartbroken. We might just put 4 sets away as "spares". And they were free, so... why not?

They do have a platinum edge so no microwave for them, but we don't own a microwave and never will again, so no loss there. Also, they are dishwasher safe and I won't hesitate to stick them in there.

Today was new dishwasher day. Went with a Bosch. The Samsung bit the dust after only 2.5 years. Had a look at it, looked like the problem was inside the main sump assembly, which is only sold complete for almost $400, for a $500 dishwasher. I tend to look for deals on ebay for appliance parts, but no luck.

Only interesting things about the Bosch is that it's a hybrid tub, part plastic, part SS, and it's plugin, so I had to add a duplex outlet to the circuit.

IMO, it's hard to justify having costly dishes taking up space if the aren't getting used.

Furthermore, I get less pleasure out of my meals if I'm concerned about scratching the plate I'm eating off of, and even less pleasure if I know that I have to hand-wash the china because it can't go in the dishwasher.

We no longer care about breakage etc., BTW these are fine in the dishwasher.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Sadly, I am not enjoying my new Internet connection this evening. There is no connection at the pole and the tech didn't bring a lift truck. Glad I didn't go ahead and cancel my existing service yet.

It was a bit of a let-down. I had even prepared my config changes for my Cisco ASA. Oh well, a few more days.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
80Mbps down and 16Mbps up, via my new provider....

What tester??

Since The Dawn, I have used Ookla, which recently reports my cable-net as 110Mb/s. (Paying for 100Mb/s; the tachometer looks "governed".)

A local group wants better innernet in town and directed me to
Speed Test by Measurement Lab

This is reporting 32Mb/s (afternoon) or 42Mb/s (midnight)
Test Server New York, US
Download 42.99 Mb/s
Upload 10.93 Mb/s
Latency 47 ms
Retransmission 0.00%

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I usually use Ookla, which is where my stated speeds came from.

I get close to the same results through that one you posted a link to (thanks for that):

Test Server Calgary, CA
Download 82.61 Mb/s
Upload 13.77 Mb/s
Latency 29 ms
Retransmission 0.04%

I am paying for "up to" 75Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up.

Last edited: