And what did we buy today?

A pack of 100 pcs 3,5mm panel jacks.

When these NOS Switchcraft jacks appeared on the surplus market cheap, I bought 200.

For those who don't understand why someone would need 200 headphone jacks, these are also the standard interconnect for Eurorack modular music synthesizers. There is a module sitting on the bench in front of me that has 9 jacks on it, and it's a small module. It is not uncommon for all the jacks, knobs and pots to cost more than all the other parts in the module.

The older Moog stuff uses a 1/4 inch jack.....I bought a bunch of those too.

Attachments

• P2920720_x.jpg
    P2920720_x.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 148
A AD9800 A2D converter IC.
Its on 0.55mm pitch so not easiest of things to solder.
Managed to hold it down and solder each side.
Removed excess solder with copper braid.
Then checked for shorts between adjacent pins.
I couldn't get rid of a short between pins 13+14.
I must have been too rough removing excess solder and bent pin 14 against pin 13.
I couldn't work out how to move and heat the pin at the same time.
In the end I just did it the brute force way with a stitch cutter point.
It now works, I was quite shocked I managed to fix it.

For your shop at home? Do you need some special certification, like WHMIS?

For me, just some cheap fishing tackle and smores supplies from the dollar store, so I can fish with my girls while waiting for the cheap ebay tackle to arrive. The dollar store lures look not too bad, should become keepers with a "real" hook installed.

Is single barbless your secret fishing weapon

Hey Tony,

Not a weapon, a hinderance. But they are the only legal hooks in BC with the exception of some lakes. No trebles, no barbs. It's a real sport to maintain just enough tension so they don't spit the hook and not so much that you rip it through their gums. Not too tough if you are trolling but when casting or fly fishing it can present a challenge.
Anyway you look at it, I am happy you are taking the girls out and teaching them.
Remember the golden rule and pass it on to them.

You do not fish to catch, you go fishing to fish. Catching is the icing on an already delicious cake.

Jigging is fun. Does anyone still use Buzz Bombs? They were very good to me in my day. A prime jigging lure.

Cheers my friend.

Tried one of those rear-view mirrors to stick into the end of the bar on the old Varsity.

Went for a 50-mile ride today (the weather here is like heaven right now). The mirror is pretty useless; constantly getting knocked out of line. Plus, with the drop handlebars it doesn't really stick out far enough to be very useful. Oh well.

Hey Tony,

Not a weapon, a hinderance. But they are the only legal hooks in BC with the exception of some lakes. No trebles, no barbs. It's a real sport to maintain just enough tension so they don't spit the hook and not so much that you rip it through their gums. Not too tough if you are trolling but when casting or fly fishing it can present a challenge.
Anyway you look at it, I am happy you are taking the girls out and teaching them.
Remember the golden rule and pass it on to them.

You do not fish to catch, you go fishing to fish. Catching is the icing on an already delicious cake.

Jigging is fun. Does anyone still use Buzz Bombs? They were very good to me in my day. A prime jigging lure.

Cheers my friend.

I recall once guiding a young lady who was fly fishing for Atlantic salmon. As she was right handed I stood on her left to direct her where to cast. I guess there was a gust of wind or something, because her fly was suddenly embedded in my left earlobe. I was very happy that she was using a barbless fly.

Today I ordered 3 sets of two each low level line matching transformers from Edcor. I may see them in a month or two. I also ordered some super cheap 240 VCT to 240 VCT power transformers from Digikey.....I'll see them in 3 days. These will be used to dig myself further down the vacuum tube music synthesizer rabbit hole.

The Digikey order also includes some more resistors which will be offered up to the fire gods in order to see which one does not blow up! We have been told for years to add sufficient resistance between the HV winding and the rectifier tube to keep the peak currents below the tube maximum. The old TSE board has such a resistor on the solid state rectifier to reduce noise......the old resistor that I have been recommending for 14 years works fine, but has been discontinued. Most of those modern tiny resistors fry before the input filter cap can charge.....more smoke testing to come.

I’m thinking I still have a Sansa Clip somewhere but I cannot find it...

Today I purchased around $100 of 2-part spray paint to refinish my corroded aluminum Toyota rims. Epoxy primer, some silver urethane, and urethane clear as well.

10 year old car, no excuse for such a lousy oem finish...