And what did we buy today?

Strange behavior, as in not working properly? And here I was thinking of replacing our Kenmore dishwasher with a Bosch.

jeff

The dishwasher I'm talking about is a Kenmore badged Bosch. Yeah, it's been tough to troubleshoot, because most symptoms appear to be about not draining properly. But now I realize the problem is that the input solenoid valve leaks and lets in more water after the wash water has properly discharged. It's a common failure with Bosch.

leadbelly, I'll have to remember that. I have a Bosch.

Today's purchase - Danco 17150B 11Z-9D Diverter Stem for Kohler Faucets - $28.45 on amazon.

The diverter stems in my shower/baths have been leaking for years. I tried rebuilding them, but can't get the proper parts. The plumbing store I used to get parts from (which looked like it had been in business for over 50 years) went under after a fire several years ago. I tried ordering them from Kohler through the local commercial distributor, but they told me they were discontinued. The salesperson was nice enough to look up the cross reference to Danco (whom they did not distribute for) and gave me the number. I bought one that arrived today, installed it and took a shower. No drips or leaks from the diverter, so I ordered one for the other shower/bath today.

:D

Last edited:
A very efficient food-to-waste converter arrived from Tennessee yesterday:

Attachments

• Jed.jpg
    Jed.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 131
God knows. Before retirement I biked to and fro work 4 times a day (lunch break included). That was a 2,5 km ride. I think we used to calculate an average of 220 working days a year. That gives us 2200 km/year (1375 miles). The ride was on "normal" tarmac.
I estimate that I used to change tyres every 2nd or 3rd year, but by then the inner tube was almost visible ...

Not something I bought today but that arrived today. I asked the seller (eljaybe2005 på eBay) to pop in an unexposed film and got a whole bunch. One is a b/W positive film.

Also ordered some components from Reichelt for an EL34-PP that will be housed in the remnants of the old Priboi.

Attachments

• IMG_7039.jpg
    IMG_7039.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 134
Nice looking pup PH104. Gona be a big one based on his paws. Golden Retriever?

Hee! I see a "can do" attitude on that little face!

Thanks guys. He's a Yellow Lab, #7 for me. Guessing he'll be 80-90 lbs. and he's pretty fearless already. He's named "Tennessee Jed" after one of the most beautiful states in the country and from the title of a tune by the Grateful Dead.

Last edited:
Painkillers!*

Recovering from yesterday's hernia procedure, I've acquired:

1. Hydrocodone (WAY too strong, made me hork up dinner, also constipation + belly surgery seems a bit of a contraindication, eh?)

2. Ibuprofen (which after getting it home & reading the label, remembered that this is an NSAID, so would probably start up my esophagitis again, hard pass on that, so...

3. Tylenol it is. (Fortunately I respond pretty well to plain ol' acetaminophen.)

I wanna ride my bike! <sniffle>

*Actually purchased all this stuff yesterday, but was a bit preoccupied at the time, heh.

Recovering from yesterday's hernia procedure
Hopefully you are not in too much pain.
Since Dec 18 (dislocated shoulder) I have been on Tramadol 50mg x 4/day. I have found them very effective. I don't even notice them until...

...they wear off.

And then I start doing the sniffle thing. Perhaps inquire about it.

We have a Bosch. What 'truly strange behaviour' should I be aware of?

(The old mechanical-timer HotPoint would just "wash" dry. I suppose it is not that simple on the smart Bosch?)

Oh, sorry, missed this question. As I already posted, the problem is a solenoid leak that keeps filling the dishwasher after the cycle is over, so it appears to be a drainage issue rather than what really is a fill issue. The truly strange part is that sometimes the leakage would fill the basin, lift the float switch, and the discharge pump start pumping all on its own, even in the middle of the night!

Looks like breakfast for the two in your avatar. Are they showing signs of jealousy?

I should update that avatar Cal -- they were dogs 3 & 4 and here no longer. I have a 8 yr old female Lab who somewhat tolerates him right now but slowly coming around. Coyotes are the threat to small animals around here so keeping an eye on him 'til he's a bit bigger.

Phil

Tony, thanks for pointing this out. How old was your machine when it started? Mine's 3 years and good so far.

Don't really remember, in the 3-4 year range. Doesn't mean it's a bad machine. The input valve is $50 at a parts house and can be changed without pulling it out.

I try to fix appliances myself after a nightmare furnace repair call a few years back. I don't see why I should be paying $100 an hour for some fool to replace everything in sight and call the manufacturer tech support line.