And what did we buy today?

You got this, Nigel! I did one with 0.5mm pitch awhile back, and I'm old as hell. :)

Your absolutely right mine is 0.5mm pitch too !
I found the knack with soldering is to pin two corners then get it line up spot on. Start laying solder with the syringe but start a few mm before the pins this gives it enough weight to hold down the start lump while I stretch the solder out thinly along the pins.
I found if I don't put too much solder on to start with I don't spend half an hour wicking it off again.
I found its all about technique.

This James Levine Mozart CD. Bought for $1 at a local thrift shop.
When I saw the copyright date of 1982 it was a big surprise, since the Compact Disc debuted in October of 1982. That would make it a very early CD release.

But Some research seems to indicate that it might have been released in CD format in about 1985 and on LP before that. So not a super early CD. Still an early digital recording from July 1981 on the Soundstream 50kHz/16 bit recorder.

Thats cool. Its an antique. How do those early AD's sound?

Bought some emergency kit type stuff: a couple of different kinds of stubby ratchets and a lensatic compass. But the big score was going to an appliance parts store and getting help figuring out what service kit was needed for my old Kenmore fridge. Endless googling for the leaking problem yielded no satisfying solution, but getting the person at the counter to google the OEM Whirlpool number that they knew led to finding the service kit that robustly fixes the problem. Ah perserverance.

PCB and components for a model railway shuttle system.
Thought I would try something none audio for a change.

Previous project was a DC speaker protect system using solid state relay and that works great.

Oh, you're gonna have to say more about that. DC or DCC? And what does shuttle mean, that doesn't translate well to this side of the pond? Is that operation, staging, or some automated portion of a layout?

Oh, you're gonna have to say more about that. DC or DCC? And what does shuttle mean, that doesn't translate well to this side of the pond? Is that operation, staging, or some automated portion of a layout?

Its just a simple back and forth train controller.
You have two stations and the train goes between the two stations back and forth on a timer.
The time is programmable using a trimmer pot from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.
Its controlled by a relay to change direction.
Each end has a diode so the train stops at the correct place before voltage reverse and the diode becomes forward biased.

Power is supplied by a normal model railway controller which controls the speed, it needs 8 volts DC min to work.

Below is someone a schema of a similar system
shuttle9 | harrabylad | Flickr

A box of high intensity leds for repairing a disco light.

I also bought some 6S6B-V tubes -- must be from the same guy on Fleabay.

Lot of 20?

I've tried a couple out and they're better matched than I expected - dropped in circuit build for another brand of 6S6BV and at equal grid bias, anode voltage is within 5% of the 1st tube.

Having fun making with these tubes, they aren't half bad!

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Kill A Watt on Amazon, $21 bucks and shipped free by adding a vent screen I needed otherwise.

I've had one for years, for curiosity and occasional serious measurement. That one just died (loose LCD contacts). Looking around, there are off-brand monitors a few bucks cheaper but many "DOA" comments. I note that this product has many comments about melting or breaking even below its rated limit. We'll see....

Box of 10 4-foot fluorescent tubes, plus a couple of ballasts, to restore the ancient lighting installed in the drop ceiling of the showroom at our business. Man, it's a PCB wonderland up in there... :eek:/

I replaced the fluoro tubes in our new garage with LED ones. Straightforward drop-in replacement with new starters. They work amazingly well. Instant bright high quality light.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Agree. The LED troffers whup the fluorescents for energy efficiency and flicker and buzz.

You can get "LED tubes" which require bypassing the fluoro ballasts, which it seems was due anyway. (There are LED tubes which "may" work on stock wiring but that is iffy.)

They are now selling whole drop-in troffers for suspended grid ceilings. I got to try this product and I really like it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...-Panel-Troffer-2-Pack-PN324A50A1-40/305543510
Note this is two panels for a hundred bucks. Light is better, and better maintained, than fluorescents. Panels are very slim and easy to work overhead. They are in-stock at my store so should be widely available.

And no mercury or glass!!