And what did we buy today?

Just ordered a Bluetooth amp module (board) and associated components to make a small portable boombox. There is such a variety of possible configurations, and it took a bit of time to determine which add-ons I wanted/needed.

This project will use a pair of Vifa NE123W-04 full rangers that I've had for a few years now. Got them sounding decent with a contour circuit and a PR. Anxious to get it all hooked up and playing -- probably completed later this spring. ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... Vifa NE123W-04 full rangers...Got them sounding decent with a contour circuit and a PR

Indeed you did.

701559d1536077156-15th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2018-a-img_20180826_092703339_hdr-jpg

15th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST-2018 (post #97)

BlueTooth won’t do them any favours thou.

dave

Indeed you did.

BlueTooth won’t do them any favours thou.

dave

Hi Dave,
I'm putting the boombox together for wife's cousin's husband, who does renovation and building construction work. The Bluetooth capability will be handy for him at the jobsites.
I tweaked the contour circuit since last August, and added a 6.5" PR on the rear. Sound is somewhat more detailed now, and the low end is down around 62-65 Hz, and added a bit more high freq extension. I'll post pictures when project progresses.

...The DQ here in small town West Virginia has decent food for a reasonable price...
George, if you're ever find yourself in Grafton, WV there's a Dairy Queen with the "Eskimo Girl" sign still cranking out good eats. Heck, the sign was one of the reasons I first stopped over 30 years ago (has it really been that long?).

Picked up a 10-outlet power strip for the audio rack, two expensive pendant lamp globes, and two large plastic tubs. But the big find was two new LP's: Atomic Basie and one with Michael Legrand and Miles Davis.

OK, that was yesterday...

Not too much. Bought a boxed assortment of cotter pins from M1 through M3, primarily for dirt bike. Bought a used vent fan for the Amana Radar Range, yes it is really is still made TPIR/Bob Barker fans. Bought a plugin car seat heater, because the one in the Flex is broken and I'm not fixing it out in the cold. Let's hope the claimed Air China airmail gets it here before spring.

I can't say being a big fan of the non stick pans, sooner than later they all fail no matter it's Teflon, ceramic or some other exotics, that's why I make sure it's a stainless steel pan to begin with so when the layer goes I will polish up then pan, see picture of my old Teflon pan, will never again shy away from scratchy forks and knifes, and frying every day it becomes a tool that must work so no pussy footing around. :cool:
Interesting that you found a way to remove Teflon/ceramic coatings.
My preference is plain steel pans that with initial conditioning and usage develop an easily restored oil/carbon layer that is relatively non stick, in the manner of an authentic wok.
With the right technique these work well I find and if you do cause a stick or burn 30 mins soaking a scrub and it's as good as new again.....ie idiot proof lol.
Same goes for cast iron pans, I have a thick based one on the bbq grill section and it cooks onions and other stuff magnifico and burning doesn't matter.

Dan.

Max, why not just buy a good spun steel wok?

This one is 40+ years old and still going strong.
My steel iron pans are spun, I don't have a wok...I should get one.
One of my steel pans has a silicon coating which has so far survived mistreatment/inattention perfectly well.

I use my bbq quite often, the cast iron pan works well on the griller side while the steaks are cooking.
I don't/won't use aluminium cookware and I am wary of stainless cookware, I find clear glass saucepans work very well for boiling/sauces etc.

Dan.

Ooh, almost forgot: Snagged a third miniDSP nanoAVR-DL unit, this one has the Dirac Live software built in. So now it's in the HDMI audio chain, feeding a splitter which goes into the 2 standard IIR-style nanoAVR-HDA units (see avatar) which are currently doing room & driver corrections + crossover etc. for a 5.1 setup w/ 2 subs. So far it's working in bypass mode until I have time to invoke its automagical measurement procedure.

Gonna see what the fuss is about with Dirac. If unimpressed, I'll either resell it, or I'm told I can always flash the firmware back to the basic DIY-style unit like the other 2, maybe put it in the car or something.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
This James Levine Mozart CD. Bought for $1 at a local thrift shop.
When I saw the copyright date of 1982 it was a big surprise, since the Compact Disc debuted in October of 1982. That would make it a very early CD release.

But Some research seems to indicate that it might have been released in CD format in about 1985 and on LP before that. So not a super early CD. Still an early digital recording from July 1981 on the Soundstream 50kHz/16 bit recorder.

Attachments

• Lavine Mozart.jpg
    Lavine Mozart.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 132