And what did we buy today?

You have to bring them to diyFEST?

dave

Will do.

I'm also adding a pair of 15" U-frame bass units, as these coax drivers only reach down to 90~100 Hz by themselves. The bass units will be included for the PNWAS speaker contest, but may not have room for the carpool to diyFEST. I'll see if I can make them more portable (maybe screwed together flat pack?). hmmm . . . :scratch2:

Best circle cutters made for 8'' holes and smaller.
70 years old - hard to believe.

Made in Beverly Hills California (and I was just there btw).

cutter.jpg

Ordered a pcb for my own design digital PC USB scope today from PCBWAY.
Ordered the parts for the pcb from Farnell and RS Components.
I am using a PIC32 that runs very fast and has a fast a2d converter.
I am using Microchip Harmony for the basic software so will be interesting to see if I can get it to work.
I am more used to 8 bit processors and the PIC32 is full of 32 bits registers with special function registers that need every bit set correct to work properly.
Keeps me out of mischief.

I've owned a couple of hole cutters like that - but more recently made. Never had good luck with them. Yours work well?

Can't speak for ODougbo, but I've personally had excellent results with both wood and aluminum using flycutters (as they're usually called). They can be extremely dangerous if used improperly, however.

The keys to success - and safety - are to:

1. Only use these in a drill press, and make certain the blade is sharp.
  2. Clamp the workpiece securely to the press table, using a sacrificial surface underneath.
  3. Make certain that all adjustment screws are secure before tightening the chuck.
  4. Use a press speed (rpm) appropriate to the material you're cutting.
  5. Feed the cutting blade slooooooowly into the workpiece. Let the blade do all the cutting.
It does take skill, but with a little practice you can achieve excellent results - and without sawing your arm off (it happens)....

I've owned a couple of hole cutters like that - but more recently made. Never had good luck with them. Yours work well?

I have been using them and they requires some work to work perfectly. I always drill/cut from both sides.

On one occasion, I left the drill unattended for a few minutes and when I came back, someone had changed the speed of the machine. I was EXTREMELY lucky that the cutter hit the wall behind the machine.:eek:

I did buy myself a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine (Italian) and a french soda (pamplemousse).

I have been using them and they requires some work to work perfectly. I always drill/cut from both sides.

I use a piece of wood with two screws in to mark out my speaker holes.
One screw is driven into the centre of the baffle and the other left loose to score a circle. I then get my trusty jigsaw and carefully cut out the circle.
Only got caught out once when a Fane speaker spec gave the wrong baffle hole size ! so now I always measure the actual speaker.

Went down to our "upper" Chinatown trying to get a ready-made Chinese birthday cake for my wife, but failed. Lots of cheap meat at the butcher though, my mother-in-law bought things like pigs feet and pork spine for the bargain sum of $71.

Then scored an old copy of The Calgary Gardener, Vol 2 to give her. Yes, we have our own book, you would not believe how hard our climate is on green things, despite being the sunniest city in Canada.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
An AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor 16MB Cache 3.2 GHz AM4 8 Core 16 Thread CPU for $369 AUD

The most interesting part would have to be the fact that it has 8 cores, that should provide seamless and silky smooth multitasking performance no matter what you are doing, that 20MB of cache should also never be filled.

PassMark - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 - Price performance comparison

With a score of 15,330 :cool:

my current CPU scores 3220 points....

Next pay I'll pick up an Asrock X370 Taichi Motherboard. 12 phase power regulation + good heatsinking = great Liquid Nitrogen performance (if I ever wanted to go that route, which will never happen, just going for that motherboard for reliability/build quality reasons) :D

I intend on having this computer build for the next 6 years at least before I upgrade again.

The reality is that I'm waiting on graphics card performance to dramatically increase so that I can dedicate the pc to crunching the SETI@HOME project and to doing occasional altcoin crunching. Hence the need for a high end CPU and motherboard so that I can have those additional ports for additional gfx cards later on.

Doing the daily video encode of VHS + Betamax tapes into H.265 also comes to mind:
Benchmarking Performance: CPU Encoding Tests - The AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen Deep Dive: The 2700X, 2700, 2600X, and 2600 Tested

I also want to fervently get off of team blue aka Intel chips. I've always been a red team member at heart.

Attachments

• 133-diyaudio.jpg
    133-diyaudio.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 134-diyaudio.jpg
    134-diyaudio.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 135-diyaudio.jpg
    135-diyaudio.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 145
An AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Processor 16MB Cache 3.2 GHz AM4 8 Core 16 Thread CPU for $369 AUD

I used to be an AMD man.
Then I saw a good review on an Intel processor.
So I bought it and found with single threads it was twice as fast as the AMD processor.

I later bought a Skylake system and was happy with that.

Just recently I bought a coffeelake processor and that was 40% quicker than the Skylake.

AMD seem to have upped their game recently with the Ryzen processors so maybe next time I will take at look at one of those.

I happen to have three 4K TVs in the house at the moment (one is waiting to be installed down at work). The video card in my PC has only 1 HDMI 2.0 port; the rest are DisplayPort.

Awhile back I was able to get 4K/60 res on 2 monitors with a proper DP-to-HDMI cable adapter (not all of them can do this - many are only rated to 1080p). So just for giggles, I ordered another adapter with some other stuff from Monoprice, and hooked up the third TV.

After some screwing around with the Screen Resolution thing in Control Panel while watching the screens dramatically flashing on & off, by god the little GTX 960 card does 4K/60 into all 3 of them at once, whee! The only casualty is the Windows desktop - it's disappeared. Just black backgrounds on all 3 screens, no icons or wallpaper. But the Start menu and everything else still works just fine. Maybe if I have time I'll see if there's an update for my video drivers or something else that will get the desktop back, I dunno.

I have absolutely no use for this particular setup, but it's kinda cool to look at, heh. Nice for wasting some time on a Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Celestion 6.5" coax
Celestion FTX0617 - Coaxial Loudspeaker

A friend gave me one to tinker with. :smirk: At first, I thought it might work nicely as a center channel. After I worked up a crossover and hooked it up that way, of course I had to get a second one to make a stereo pair.

Care to share details about the box design? I'm thinking desktop relatively nearfield monitor? Or am I nuts? :D

Care to share details about the box design? I'm thinking desktop relatively nearfield monitor? Or am I nuts? :D

The Qts is fairly high (~ 0.7) on the Celestion FTX0617 6.5", so I am mounting them on an open baffle. Just for the sake of checking them out, I've been listening to one as a center channel, and mated up with a pair of Vifa NE123W-04 4-inchers for the past week or so. The detail is good, and fairly easy to listen to.

However, there is virtually no low end (90~100 Hz Fs) on the Celestion 6.5". I've got a pair of no-name 15" woofers that someone gave me awhile back. These are also high Qts, so they are being mounted in U-frame open baffles. My plan is to put a low-pass filter on these to blend in with the Celestions. Now that I have a second Celestion, the plan is to make a stereo pair.

I'm hoping the wife lets up on the honey-do list so I can spend some quality time with this OB project. ;)