And what did we buy today?

It does seem like the training/ability of some of these appliance techs is lagging behind the technology they're dealing with.

A few years ago, my sister & her husband were having all sorts of intermittent troubles with their hot-water home heat system. She was explaining that after a few lengthy & expensive service calls, they were talking about replacing a group of even-more-expensive circuit boards. "Circuit boards?" I perked up. "Mind if I have a look?"

Sure enough, there were several old-school, single-sided boards with plenty of plainly-visible cracked solder joints, especially at the Molex headers where they connected to the harness. Took them out, resoldered everything, put it together, and it's been fine ever since. She was happy; my brother-in-law was pretty upset with the furnace company. :mad:

Painkillers!*

Recovering from yesterday's hernia procedure, I've acquired:

1. Hydrocodone (WAY too strong, made me hork up dinner, also constipation + belly surgery seems a bit of a contraindication, eh?)

2. Ibuprofen (which after getting it home & reading the label, remembered that this is an NSAID, so would probably start up my esophagitis again, hard pass on that, so...

3. Tylenol it is. (Fortunately I respond pretty well to plain ol' acetaminophen.)

I wanna ride my bike! <sniffle>

*Actually purchased all this stuff yesterday, but was a bit preoccupied at the time, heh.

My worst was a navel hernia, it has come back and I'm ignoring it.

Best wishes to you, and prayers for a speedy recovery.

I got hydrocodone when I had rotator cuff surgery last year and went with Advil the second day. Diverticulosis does not go well with constipation.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A bit late, because it finally arrived last Monday. My HP 34401A meter has a fault, and the repair is an exchange program for $770.00 CAN. So this pushed me into buying a new one. I had to sell some stuff, but here it is, my new Keysight 34465A!

The next picture is it installed with my new amplifier load panel (upper right). Jeff made the panel for me which is the only reason it looks good. He did everything except the lettering. I have a long way to go in order to complete all it's features. Already it is making bench life much, much easier by connecting the test equipment to the dummy load resistors.

I'm really happy with the new meter so far, except that the dB function is now in a menu instead of a couple keypresses away on the front panel. Not a deal breaker, but still annoying. Additionally there is a promotion on now for a free memory upgrade license - which I took advantage of. Anyway, here they are ...

Attachments

• 34465A.JPG
    34465A.JPG
    291.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 34465A at home.JPG
    34465A at home.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 130
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks. You can tell it's a bench in use - all the time.

Here is the complete setup earlier in time. The silver panel on the top, right is the embryonic dummy load panel, and you can see the pair of HP 34401A meters I was working with. For a working meter used in service and certainly some research, its hard to beat the 34401A. I miss many aspects of the pair and would prefer to be working now with a pair of 34465A meters. I use the pair at the same time most often and having different meters is a little "clunky".

I don't know if you an see it, but the RTX 6001 is hiding on the bottom right beside the black Simpson 260 6P. I use that quite a lot. The one thing I miss over other distortion test sets is a knob to adjust the output level. If there was one thing they could change about the software (M.I. or ARTA) would be a software "knob" you could operate with the mouse wheel. That, would be awesome!

On the bottom right of the shot that shows the right side instruments you can see a pair of old HP power supplies. If any of you can get the old HP 6236A or 6237A (or B or C versions), grab them. These are so useful on the bench. I have a few. The other supply on the left is an HP6209B, 0 ~ 300 VDC for light tube work. Great for preamps, the 400 volt supplies are large hulking things that only come out to play when absolutely needed. They take up a lot of space. Those are Heathkit PS-3's, one needs to be rebuilt.

Anyway, that's my mess. The bane of my existence is paper on the bench. Hate the stuff.

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCN4676 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4676 (Large).JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN4677 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4677 (Large).JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 130