Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

And what did we buy today?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2021, 04:08 PM   #5601
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi George,
Yes, all my machines had valid W7 Pro stickers. They were initially loaded fresh with W7 Pro without any problems, and all was happiness until this latest project. It was possible to download the W10 free upgrade from Microsoft and it went in without any warnings or problems (that I knew of). Now, if all I wanted to do was browse the internet and print, life would go on as it was. But unfortunately I actually use my PCs for doing things. The first hint of trouble was that it was impossible to access the NAS from all but the first PC I "upgraded" (I don't think this was an upgrade, more like a lock down on control). After a lot of looking, poking and prodding I saw that my static IPs were all converted to DHCP (they had no business doing that at all!), and each machine now had a different "workgroup" name that was greyed out and cannot be changed. That kills all attempts to browse the network (my network, not theirs). Further digging revealed that Microsoft views peer to peer networking to be a security risk (it isn't) and actively took measures to prevent that from working. No clear warnings were given, and have fun contacting Microsoft for help on this matter. The obvious answer that Microsoft desires is that anyone having multiple computers that need to interact do so in a server - requester (client) environment.

Okay, annoying, but no problem. I got a Lenovo machine (i5) with a W7 license. The license doesn't matter because I am installing Fedora Server 34 on it. Zero issues with CPU or other upgrades. This is a Microsoft thing to leverage more money from you, and to know exactly what everyone is doing. I'm not playing that game any more.

I might convert my other machines to Fedora workstation 34 depending on how this goes. I have no desire to learn a new OS, but an upgrade from Microsoft amounts to the same thing. From past experience, upgrades on Linux are in fact upgrades, tend to be solid (unlike Windows) and don't change a great deal from release to release. That means whatever I learn on Linux is banked and remains useful.

Right now I am just having trouble remembering how the server installation and configuration goes. Once I have passed this hurdle (it would be the same or worse with a Windows Server). I am not an IT guy and my expertise lies elsewhere. Steps will be taken to ensure this doesn't happen again as it is a total waste of my time and money to jump through hoops for decisions Microsoft makes that do not have a good technical reason. W7 would have been secure and fine no matter what Microsoft says. Killing the network browser does no in any way enhance security when you have someone who does know what they are doing trying to steal your data. Just a casual user who wants to copy your data - and that is if he knows what machine and directory (sorry, folder) the data is in. There is security in that, because certain files are stored on various machines and have fun figuring out how I arranged my directory names and contents out.

-Chris
Old 2nd August 2021, 07:38 PM   #5602
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Chris, do you have significant passwords on all your users and machines?

Windows networks different if I set no password, a 2-char password, or a real password. It's been a decade since I knew how/why.
Old 2nd August 2021, 07:45 PM   #5603
diyAudio Moderator

Hi PRR,
Yes, and thank you. Every machine has real usernames and passwords. Old habits die hard.

Fedora Server 34 is up and running. Now installing a GUI and some server apps.

Windows machines are about to join a real network. I'm starting to remember how to work with Linux machines again, and it makes so much more sense than Windows.

-Chris
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:05 PM   #5604
kodabmx is online now kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

I have user names and passwords but I still use "share level security" - Anyone on my network can access my "C" drive and have full read/write access (that is when I boot Windows, otherwise when I'm in Manjaro, OpenSSH shared my files with SFTP.). I Hit it with \\192.168.2.12\data because you can't browse shares that use the old obsolete system anymore.

Same with my NAS - By IP address.

You can also try turning SMB 1.0 back on: Can't access shared folders from File Explorer - Windows Client | Microsoft Docs

Last edited by kodabmx; 2nd August 2021 at 09:08 PM.
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:12 PM   #5605
diyAudio Moderator

Hi kodabmx,
That stuff might help. I'll give it a shot.
Right now the server is updating software. Web console works perfectly, but I am trying to set it to runlevel 5 (graphical user interface). I'm pretty rusty at this stuff, but I am recognizing things more and more.

Thank you
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:32 PM   #5606
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

New table for the small barbecue.
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:42 PM   #5607
diyAudio Moderator

Hi kodabmx,
Some of that stuff was on. Boy, a lot of silly settings to turn on when it should have been simple to do.

I have to run around to other computers to turn these things on now. What a bother!

Thanks, Chris
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:41 PM   #5608
kodabmx is online now kodabmx  Canada
Spreading triode love.
diyAudio Member

Glad to help, Chris.

And what did we buy today?Hide this!Advertise here!