And what did we buy today?

Depends on your skill set and what tools you have.

I made a 2 gallon pot still by hand beating copper sheet and soldering it with lead free solder. I don't recommend that. 2 gallons is too small for a stripper any way.

The biggest issue I see is coupling the pot to the chapiteau if you are doing whiskey, bourbon or brandy. I don't know how well a packed column works for that.

A brass threaded coupling with a rubber gasket would be nice.

Attachments

• Running.JPG
    Running.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 201
You can get by with a SS pot, but you need plenty of copper to clean up the vapour.

All copper Alembics with a chapiteau seem to have been standard in the past, however modern boutique stills are different. They seem to be based on the coufe column still.

135 Gallon Copper 6 Inch Diameter Mile Hi Flute 6 Sections | Mile Hi Distilling

The pot is ss, but the column is copper with copper plates for fractional separation with the copper interacting with sulfur compounds.

Whiskey and bourbon stills are basically the same. Vodka is different.

large device in the background, left of the tank with an analog meter?......HP 6448B HV power supply.

I recognized it since I have the same one on my bench.....650 volts at 1.7 amps, 1000uF internally across its output. It can, and has blown parts into nonexistence. Just last week an arc burned a hole in a PC board before I could hit the kill switch.

I notice that yours doesn't have the same death warning above the output terminals that mine has......someone must have gotten zapped, then the "idiot beware" lawyer speak got attached.

Attachments

• P1000734_x.jpg
    P1000734_x.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 162
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That's a strange position for Sweden to take. Is there a rise in populism there as we are seeing elsewhere politically? It makes sense that the fee will rise to $15, that is probably only break even for the cost it will take to process every package.

Over here our VAT is 5%, and there is a handling charge of $5 or so ...

Here VAT is 19% and in my country the Netherlands is it even 21%. It makes no sense at all to charge the people even more as we already pay most taxes in the world (more or less on par with Sweden). There are countless tax variants but believe me that you will loose between 60 and 70% of what you earn to taxes one way or another. We even have a tax variant that is charged over the possible value of the house you bought with a mortgage/loan ! This is a debt IMO. You then pay 30 years (!) taxes over a possible value that that house might have IF you would sell it (which you don't as you bought it with a reason)....

So it is a sport to evade these ridiculous import taxes/fees as much as you can. If that is called populism well then I am proud to be a populist. Also here the low value goods that slipped through till now will be charged with taxes within some time. Just like in Sweden. No more 2 $ USB 3.0 cables shipping included from China....

Last edited: