Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

And what did we buy today?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2021, 07:33 PM   #4801
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
1 kg of SnPb 0,8mm solder. Guess much of the world has banned leaded solder but I simply cannot make a decent solder joint with the leadfree stuff.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:02 PM   #4802
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Time. I bought time today.
A report I'm supposed to have out cannot be delivered as I've not received all the info I need to complete it. Good thing because I don't think I could have completed it to my standards by the end of the day anyway.

Last edited by Cal Weldon; 14th January 2021 at 09:39 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 14th January 2021, 08:32 PM   #4803
H713 is offline H713  United States
diyAudio Member

Just bought some MPQ6700s to repair a Crest CA9. I had it working, then I inserted the driver board in backwards. For those who aren't aware, a CA9 has +/- 120V rails. It vaporized the feedback trace (fixable, but time consuming since all the output devices have to get re-mounted on the heatsink), but miraculously the output module tested good once the trace was repaired. Destroyed almost every transistor on the driver board though.

This is one of those mistakes you only make once, then you label your extender cable.
Old 15th January 2021, 12:26 AM   #4804
Jim the Oldbie is offline Jim the Oldbie  United States
diyAudio Member

Bought a couple of knickknacks for this ridiculous car audio project, which has taken a couple of sharp left turns since its inception - each more expensive of course.

Since the new system will be mostly autonomous from the original head unit, and since I still want to listen to NPR from time to time, I needed a way to inject the factory radio audio back into the Big Amplifier I've chosen, which has only digital inputs! (How very 21st-century.) So ordered a little $13 stereo-RCA-to-S/PDIF ADC box for that, along with a couple of sundries like a dashboard CD-slot-mount tablet holder bracket thingy and a "Flirc" USB IR receiver.

This is gonna be pretty cool if it all works, heh.
Old 15th January 2021, 04:00 AM   #4805
leadbelly is offline leadbelly  Canada
diyAudio Member

Took a bit of a risk, looking for a used laptop for either myself or my daughter to use. I bought a non-working one for $60. I was prepared for some hard work, found some YT videos on checking and replacing PS MOSFET's in it. Did a quick check tonight just so I could order parts ASAP for it, and it looks like just a bad brick! Fingers crossed...
Old 15th January 2021, 04:41 PM   #4806
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

A lens hood.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you leadbelly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6F902EDA-5E2F-4CD7-AC75-762ED6855228.jpg (432.3 KB, 138 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 15th January 2021, 05:53 PM   #4807
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

That`s always painful and annoying George. Just when you were ready to sit down and build the project!
Old 15th January 2021, 05:55 PM   #4808
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

That ought to keep you out of trouble for a while Gareth! Maybe.
Old 15th January 2021, 07:40 PM   #4809
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
That`s always painful and annoying George. Just when you were ready to sit down and build the project!
This one has been a bit of frustration. It took over 8 months, countless emails, threats to start a claim with Paypal, and a few other tactics to get my order shipped.

These synthesizer modules are notorious for poor documentation, but this one had an 8 page build manual which I downloaded when I placed the order. There was no BOM, just the typical list of reference designators and values. Assuming I would have my board in less than a week since it was "in stock" in Boston, I put together a build box with all the parts.

I knew as soon as i saw the board that all of my resistors and some of the caps would not fit, so I ordered the right stuff from Digikey, who offered "$10.95 2 day shipping" which I chose. I got my order in on time so it should have shipped yesterday morning, but as of 5 minutes ago Fedex doesn't have it yet.

I decided to sit down with the build box and sling some solder this morning. Unfortunately there were still a few surprises left. What happens to a box full of parts left unattended for 8 months? I don't know how, but it seems that some of the parts sneak out of the box and into something else. Complete inventory check is in progress.

I didn't realize it until today but the 15 mm pots that were still in the build box will not fit. The board is laid out for 12 mm pots which are not common, so the experiment that is currently underway is "make 9 mm pots fit." Its too soon to know how that will work out, but it does look like this will not be a quick build.
Old 16th January 2021, 12:44 AM   #4810
mountainman bob is online now mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Scored a pair of pristine NS-670 today for just a C-note! Only problem is one of the tweeters is dead.....anyone here have a good JA-0509 laying around?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BCC87DC1-6088-474A-A9A3-AB0E3A862709.jpg (559.5 KB, 116 views)

And what did we buy today?Hide this!Advertise here!