Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

And what did we buy today?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2020, 11:45 PM   #4731
cogitech is offline cogitech  Canada
diyAudio Member

Nice shots, mate!
Old 24th December 2020, 12:11 AM   #4732
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks!
Old 24th December 2020, 12:11 AM   #4733
wrenchone is offline wrenchone  United States
diyAudio Member

When I speak of doodads for my camera, I mean things like filters, flash bracket, synch cable, cable shutter release, etc.

I was trying to get some accessories for the Rollei off Ebay a few years ago, but at the time, we were plagued with a thief at the USPS distribution station that made off with a lot of packages destined for folks at my place of work. He was eventually nabbed, but none of us got any of our missing items back... Right now, my Rollei has a yellow filter - I would at least want red, yellow, orange, and UV filters, as well as a flash bracket/hand grip. Rollei also has a pistol grip for the TLR, but that's a little weird.

I did a rough count, and I own about 14 cameras of various sorts - 35mm, 6X6, 6X7, 2X3, 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10.
Old 24th December 2020, 12:40 AM   #4734
jjasniew is offline jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
looking through the TLR is definitely a different experience...
When I was a kid in the 60's, I used to pretend that type of camera was a miniature TV, or a cell phone... First time I saw a "Retina" resolution screen!
Old 24th December 2020, 01:15 AM   #4735
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Iím worried that Iíve started buying cameras like old triodes, itís becoming compulsive. I think I better stop now before I get my credit card bill. Which reminds me, Iíd better start building something with those triodes soon.
Back in my film and darkroom days I had a rather large collection of odd and somewhat old cameras. Some of them actually worked! Most were from hamfests, flea markets, and yard sales. My TLR was a Yashicamat 6X6 cm (120 roll film). It took excellent pictures, and was used most often with Ektachrome 64 which I developed (E6 process) and printed myself.

I had 6X9 cm and 4X5 inch view cameras. Both worked, but took sheet film. 4 X 5 sheets were not stocked at the local camera shop, but I did get them to order me some B&W sheets, Tri-X or Plus-x, don't remember which. I made a jig to cut 120 or 620 roll film into sheets for the 6X9 camera. I only had two or three sheet film cartridges, so I didn't take many pictures with it.

I gave all of it to a collector when the darkroom was dismantled. I also gave him my 1955 vintage Durst enlarger which took up to a 4 X 5 INCH negative, and filter packs for color printing, as the dichro head was not yet invented when it was made.

Fortunately I haven't had the urge to buy any film cameras in maybe 25 years......not the case with old triodes though.
Old 24th December 2020, 02:14 AM   #4736
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
When I speak of doodads for my camera, I mean things like filters, flash bracket, synch cable, cable shutter release, etc.
You can buy new filters, probably a good way to go unless you collect only authentic doodads.
Rolleiflex/Rolleicord Bay I,Bay II,Bay III Yellow, Green, Orange, Red ,Filter | eBay
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 24th December 2020, 02:20 AM   #4737
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubelab_com View Post
Fortunately I haven't had the urge to buy any film cameras in maybe 25 years......not the case with old triodes though.
We careful, these old cameras can have a similar appeal. With places to develop the film for you and a scanner of your own there’s no need for a darkroom at all. This approach is called hybrid photography. Many parallels to our audio hobby, analogue & digital, and film development = high gain low noise amplifier, endless debates about the subjective qualities of ‘old glass’ and film vs the objective performance of modern glass and digital. But old cameras can be fine pieces of engineering craftsmanship just like a golden era TT.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 24th December 2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 24th December 2020, 02:30 AM   #4738
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

looking through the TLR is definitely a different experience.
nice shots, would love to see a clearer image of the front of your TLR.

I used to like b&w when I previously owned a TLR, at least a decade ago and maybe longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D52A283A-16CA-4A88-8F9B-4BDB884E0DAE.jpg (987.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 24th December 2020, 02:43 AM   #4739
cogitech is offline cogitech  Canada
diyAudio Member

I should add one of those TLRs to my cabinet...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cams.jpg (170.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 24th December 2020, 03:12 AM   #4740
wintermute is offline wintermute  Australia
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Nice collection!

Here are a couple of pics of the Voightlander, It's in pretty bad shape. I guess I got it probably when I was 3 years old, so to be expected I think it is a "Brilliant". You can see from the controls that it was a cheap camera.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2322_00001.jpg (724.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_2323_00001.jpg (305.0 KB, 59 views)

And what did we buy today?Hide this!Advertise here!