And what did we buy today?

Cal Weldon said:
I bought another shop-vac to clean up the flood from a blown hot water tank. Too bad the silt trap on the floor drain was semi-plugged 'cause now the bottoms of a half dozen pairs of speakers are 1/4" thicker than they used to be.

:bawling:

Dontcha just hate that -
I have a JBL L300 Summit with a honking great lump in the side
caused when the dishwasher on the floor above decided to
flood my basement. *&^%^&%$ing particle board.
M

I just came home with a Parts Express subwoofer plate amp for $50. 150w into 8 ohms, 250w into 4 ohms.
Also scored a Sony TC-630 open reel for $10. Appears to be at least somewhat functional, will have to test it. Bought it from the original owner who purchased it in 1969. The cool part about it is that it has some rather nice appearing ~5" alnico magnet drivers in the cabs that came with it. Not sure who made them. No pic right now but here's the info on the magnet:

Sony
1-502-211-21
5W 16 ohm
Japan

Suspect either Fosters or Corals.:cool:

Cal, sorry about the water damage. That's never a fun thing to clean up after. And possibly losing a couple speakers, OUCH!:eek: :mad: :bawling:

mass media marketing

What I didn't buy today.

Features

Sound beyond words
Suitable for iPod, PSP, MP3, MP4, NB and CD
Revolutionary design, thrills your feeling and drives your passion.

Specifications

Output power(R.M.S.): Subwoofer:8W L/R: 3W X 2
Rated Input Sensitivity: Subwoofer: <300mV
Signal to Noise Ratio: Subwoofer:> 71Db L/R: > 71dB
Total Harmonice Distortion: Subwoofer: <2% L/R: <2%
Frequency response: Subwoofer: 40- 100 Hz(+3.5dB - - 2dB) L/R: 100 - 16000 Hz(-2dB- + 2dB)
Main Power: 220v - 50 Hz
Dimensions:L 218mm x W: 125MM x H:78mm

For the masochists who require further details:
http://www.saverstore.com/product/2...bwoofer-Suitable-for-iPod-PSP-MP3-MP4-NB---CD

My eyes poped out when I saw this HP 339a recently from a flea market. It had a few bloken / missing buttons but otherwise clean. The guy asked for $40 and I just couldn't resist.

The signal from the generator looked like crap at initial power up but it cleaned up up after some contact cleaning.

Loop back measurement shows around 95db THD for the singnal generator.

I also measured THDs for sine and triangle waves form HP 3311a against hand calculated results from output of a spectrum analyzer and they are closed enough (like within 0.5 db)

The only issue now is that the frequency scaling on the generator side is off by up to 15% in some ranges, but at least the signal is stable.

Needness to say I really happy with this new addition to my rack. Will clean-up/fix more when I have more time.

Attachments

• img_4098.jpg
    img_4098.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 462
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have been listening to the small 760i's for a bit now. These are a great little speaker. The mids and highs are striking. Open and natural, barely a colouration to be heard. No farting in the low end but they do need a little help. Now onto the mid sized 762i's

Happy, happy, joy, joy :D

I also have these speakers and found that they have very flat freq response apart from a massive suckout @ 3Khz which I presume is caused by lack of phase coherance between drivers at the crossover point. Also nothing much <80Hz. Also they are a pretty nasty load for an amp with 4ohm nominal impedance. Apart from that they are quite nice by the side of my monitor.

well i didn't buy it, but picked this up for the cost of carrying it to my car.:D
don't know if it works yet.

Hi Jim;

I made a nice hybrid amp from a similar thingy. I used MOSFET source followers to drive an output transformer, and a tube preamp/phase splitter. A nice bass guitar amp, as the result.

What I bought today:
16 bags of a concrete mix. No, not for speaker boxes. For my garden. I plan to build concrete boxes on top of a concrete floor on my backyard, and plant flowers and some vegetables there.

Last edited: