And what did we buy today?

Just placed an order with Mouser when I noticed they had only 13 LT1084-12 left and nobody else had any. I don't need any for the time being, but I didn't want to need one in March and still not have availability :)

Of course then you have to pad the order with other stuff you don't need yet to get free shipping :(

So I also got some resistors, diodes, depletion MOSFETs, a couple of small transformers, and a couple of L7805ACP LDO regulators (I plan to include a digital out on my new preamp design, but the ADC uses 5V, not 12V).

They begin by acknowledging that our ear canals resonate in the ~2K-4KHz region (mine are right at 2.5K).
More than just the ear canal factors. The entire auditory system - head, shoulders, outer and inner ear - contribute. Music and (most) recordings don't attempt to capture this frequency boost because speaker listening, being completely outside the head, doesn't bypass the natural boost mechanism. IEMs do bypass it. Your head shape and outer ear can't contribute to sounds directly generated in your ear canal.
Etymotic tailors their IEM response to approximate the response changes caused by shoulders/head/outer ear that deep in-ear insertion bypasses. The effect should sound balanced more like speakers or the live event. They chose diffuse field frequency tailoring which work by Olive and others suggest isn't optimum, at least from a preference perspective.

Finally got the rest of the kick bin drivers - after a year of waiting for enough stock. Something went right for a change - in stock at the same time as the cyber week sitewide sale at PE. Probably be after the holidays before I get the drivers and hardware installed, but while counting days anymore?

Attachments

• 13FEB133-799B-4F6D-8F2F-05748C4D556B.jpeg
    13FEB133-799B-4F6D-8F2F-05748C4D556B.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 08FD57B1-09BE-4B50-9061-E3CB116F3F41.jpeg
    08FD57B1-09BE-4B50-9061-E3CB116F3F41.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 147
Ordered a set of motor mounts for the car, hopefully it tames the clutch chatter enough to put off a clutch replacement for a while at least.

Also picked up a pair of Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers, with dead tweeters. Luckily I had some other surplus Harmon products around that used similar drivers and provided replacements. Great little speakers I will say.
Found also that the electrolytic capacitors in the crossovers had doubled in value for the tweeters…

I got a Behringer Xenyx QX1202USB Mixer delivered today, for my son's xmas present. Especially wanted the individual compression controls on 4 channels, the 3 bands of EQ per channel, the built in reverb effects and of course the USB interface so he can record via his PC.

More story? It's the second one I ordered, the first got lost by the USPS, as the guy packaged it wrapping paper style and that came off along with the shipping label on its way. Hopefully they find it and deliver, so I can sell it w/o losing too much $. Otherwise...

More story? When I was in my 20's, would have died for such a board. My roommate at the time wirewrapped up a device using a/d's, s-rams and d/a's so we could have digital reverb on my old Peavey 16 ch board - appx 40 years ago. I used a DBX 118 box for compression of the whole mix output - no way on individual channels - which saved our ears monitoring with headphones during our band practice sessions.

Last edited:
I got a Behringer Xenyx QX1202USB Mixer delivered today, for my son's xmas present. Especially wanted the individual compression controls on 4 channels, the 3 bands of EQ per channel, the built in reverb effects and of course the USB interface so he can record via his PC.

More story? It's the second one I ordered, the first got lost by the USPS, as the guy packaged it wrapping paper style and that came off along with the shipping label on its way. Hopefully they find it and deliver, so I can sell it w/o losing too much $. Otherwise...

More story? When I was in my 20's, would have died for such a board. My roommate at the time wirewrapped up a device using a/d's, s-rams and d/a's so we could have digital reverb on my old Peavey 16 ch board - appx 40 years ago. I used a DBX 118 box for compression of the whole mix output - no way on individual channels - which saved our ears monitoring with headphones during our band practice sessions.

I think those Xenyx are almost carbon copy of Alesis Multimix 8 which I use at home. (Except no USB)

Good little mixers, as far as I know the EFX and compression is summed, with only send and return levels however.

Mines over 10 years old and going strong

Despite my efforts NOT to buy anything from the numerous sales and "bait" associated with Black Friday, I bought some small stuff for my modular synthesizer, mostly lots of knobs. Hey, it was a 21% off sale, and I took the bait.

Also, ordered last week, delivered Saturday, a 16 GB set of DDR4 RAM.

I have been spending too much time keeping my 7 year old PC running lately. It works perfectly fine despite it's 4th gen Core i7 CPU chip, and still measures in the 51st percentile on Passmark's your PC VS the world benchmark. It seems that every time Microsoft sends out new updates for W10 something breaks.

This has been going on for about 6 months, but after removing all unnecessary programs and apps I got it pretty stable. The only hassle was the need to use two different browsers since Edge kept giving page errors on "malformed" web sites like the USPS, Ebay, and YouTube.

Last week they sent out the 21H2 feature set version of W10 which replaced all of the USB drivers with ones that don't work with my old motherboard's USB chip.

As of yesterday, I am now running a 4 year old motherboard that I repurposed from a dead project with a 7th generation Core i7 CPU. So far everything works OK. It scores in the 60th percentile on Passmark.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
New Cellphone. Charging / Data connector failed on my 1 1/2 year old Samsung Galaxy A-20. No complaint with the phone other than that. New one is 5G (like I care), a Galaxy A-53 or something like that. As long as it works the enhancements really don't matter to me.

Now I'm wasting a day setting the darned thing up. Dex isn't connecting - never did and the software is up to date. Figures.

-Chris

Purchased a ceramic GU10 socket for a light bulb protection mains tester.

Put in a light bulb and I can test a suspected amplifier or whatever without damaging too much. And of course: safety first!

Regards, Gerrit

Attachments

• F85D3DB9-6AD9-4231-AF94-AD6702E0932B.jpeg
    F85D3DB9-6AD9-4231-AF94-AD6702E0932B.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 9DFE1353-9372-4B24-8AAF-0A11B7A2A830.jpeg
    9DFE1353-9372-4B24-8AAF-0A11B7A2A830.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 85