Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

And what did we buy today?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2019, 02:49 AM   #2881
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

I saw that while scanning for something else. I figured I'd post it next time I saw someone raving about the sound of MV rectifiers. Beats "Kills kittens!!"

No worries about _you_ using it in instrumentation designed for MV. Still a hazard but, despite the bad judgement of having and losing a bottle of Merc in the house/shop, at least you understand the risks and have an actual "need".

I do think that 1N4007s and 14V 10W Zeners will be same-as for all practical purpose, when feeding tube-loads. But as you have no cross-check, I understand the concern.

My uncle was seriously poisoned by a Mercury spill in the carpet of his car, where the heater blew across it. Complete personality change and was sick too.

I have always wondered about a merc-spill in high school. I may have been smarter before that.
Old 17th November 2019, 04:16 AM   #2882
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi PRR,
Yes. Thanks.

Mercury is no joke. It is very dangerous stuff, but it does have applications where it is the only answer. I have some power relays that are Mercury whetted. They go in my speaker switching load box. Of course there is the Mercury tilt switch and those really nice signal relays. It's too bad they won't allow the sale of this stuff with appropriate warnings.

I bought the vial of Mercury as a teenager. At that time, the chemical supply house wanted to know what use I had in mind, and one ounce was the smallest size. I was going to etch aluminum panels for face plates. Someone said it can be used in explosives. I doubt that without a lot of processing. The fact that I still have over 90% of that batch tells you I was at least responsible with it, treating it with some respect. It's either with my ammunition, or in the chemical box for the lab here. That box is for overstock chemicals, so I'm not into it that often. The Mercury is somewhere safe and always has been. I've seen it from time to time and merely acknowledge that it exists.

-Chris
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #2883
soundbrigade is offline soundbrigade  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to soundbrigade
Wanted to test a pair of 2K5 SE-transformers from AliX. Got some 3KT and 5K trannies already but needed 2K5 for an unfinished 2A3 amp.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM   #2884
TheGimp is online now TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a pound of mercury in HS. I was wanting to build a Mercury Vapor Jet Diffusion pump.

I turned it in to a toxic waste recycling center years ago.

I believe Mercury Fulminate (A primary Explosive) is made with mercury and fuming nitric acid and ethanol.

Last edited by TheGimp; Yesterday at 01:45 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM   #2885
diyAudio Moderator

Hi TheGimp,
Quote:
I believe Mercury Fulminate (A primary Explosive) is made with mercury and fuming nitric acid and ethanol.
Let's just say, "yes, something like that". If I researched this enough, I bet I could make the stuff, but no thanks! I've made explosives before, and that teaches you to have a great deal of care and awareness of your surroundings. I also have the CRC book on chemistry, circa 1979. It isn't shy about these things. The best legal book was Van Nostrands Scientific Encyclopedia. That book got me into a lot of trouble. An acquaintance of mine from long ago has the Anarchists Cookbook. Those were some severely bent individuals who tabulated that information. It is illegal for very good reason.

Anyway, don't even consider making a tame black powder. That stuff isn't always perfectly predictable when you mix it yourself. Just don't, that's all. Do not play with this stuff that will make a Darwin award winner out of you.

-Chris
Old Yesterday, 03:02 AM   #2886
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

A a mentally and physically abusive relationship with an alcoholic father led me to attempt suicide when I was in the 4th grade (age 10). I had collected a good deal of mercury by smashing ordinary light switches. I knew it was poisonous, so I ate it all. It made me very sick, for a few days, but I'm still here.

At the time I was attending FAU for my masters degree there was a serious contamination panic. It seems that some mercury (several POUNDS) went missing from the chem lab, but it had been recovered......Then more mercury started turning up scattered, or spilled all over campus. The source was unknown. If the chem lab or physics lab was anything like the electronics lab......anything goes.

The 1994 newspaper article is linked here. The true source of the contamination that evacuated the dorms was not mentioned, but it was the dimwit that tried to suck up a spill in the house vacuum cleaner. That vacuum was used all over the women's dorm house, spewing mercury vapor everywhere it went......until the guys in the white bunny suits took it away in a hazmat bag.

4 POUNDS OF MERCURY FOUND AT FAU - Sun Sentinel

Quote:
I was wanting to build a Mercury Vapor Jet Diffusion pump.
All the diffusion pumps at Motorola ran on expensive oil. I have seen a diffusion pump run on Mobil 1 automotive motor oil. It took a long bake out period and didn't pull as low as it should, but it was headed for the dumpster anyway, so we tried it.

Quote:
Mercury Fulminate (A primary Explosive) is made with mercury and fuming nitric acid and ethanol.
Definitely not a DIY project, nor is DIY nitroglycerin. Either will blow up for no good reason, especially if cooked up a little wrong. One of my friends found this out the hard way, but he is still alive too.
Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM   #2887
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
...the Anarchists Cookbook. Those were some severely bent individuals who tabulated that information. It is illegal for very good reason...
It was deeply investigated but never illegal in the US. Someone was charged with possession and found not guilty. Canada allowed it in 2002. It does not preach hate or violence (only tools). It has twice been denied 'classification' in Australia and is apparently not allowed there.

Its author now calls for it to be "quickly and quietly taken out of print".

A 2016 edition is readily available on Amazon US. One reviewer claims it is 1/3rd the size of the original and he-heard the present publisher "sanitized it".

One PDF I found is clearly a modern re-take: no bombs, good recipes for food and social organization and action.

The book will never become unavailable. And the recipes are quite clear and mostly complete (even our FBI noted that). Which is why it is found after many incidents. Here's a snip from an old copy:
Attached Images
File Type: gif TearGas-Anarchist.gif (17.8 KB, 49 views)
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM   #2888
diyAudio Moderator

Hi George,
Sorry to hear. I'm very glad you are still with us as you make the world a richer place.

Hi PRR,
Gee, I didn't know we allowed it again. Of course you're right, it didn't push hate or anything like that. It did talk about civil disobedience, then on to tools for disruption. It was, however, packed full of recipes that could easily ease you out of this mortal coil. Like we need help! A great section on traps ... and I could go on. Those are memories from 1978. I have never had the urge to reacquaint myself with this book.

-Chris
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #2889
auplater is offline auplater  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mr. Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi TheGimp,

Anyway, don't even consider making a tame black powder. That stuff isn't always perfectly predictable when you mix it yourself. Just don't, that's all. Do not play with this stuff that will make a Darwin award winner out of you.

-Chris
I made most of this stuff back as a kid. Used to make black powder with saltpeter purchased from the nearby pharmacist. he didn't have a clue. Rolled up the mix in wet newspaper into a big stogie, compressed in a vice, let dry, then... BOOM!!! Trees, old lawn mowers, etc. were no match (pun intended) for some of these bombs. Built an earth bunker for testing.

Also made some nitroglycerin, but managed to etch my kneecap with boiling nitric / sulfuric when a flask cracked and leaked. Not a good thing. But I was successful in producing enough to make a significant report.

Nitrogen tri-iodide was always fun to take to school and scatter wet on the floor.

Acetone peroxide is another quicky, but I don't recommend making any of these w/o a death wish. I was young and dumb wrt consequences of mis-handling, but managed not to die.

Stayed away from fulminates, tho. Too unstable.

My goal (@14) was to somehow make something spectacular with my 4' Tesla coil and one (or more) of these concoctions, to see what happened. Didn't get a Nobel prize for anything spectacular, but it was fun when things didn't go wrong
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #2890
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
An acquaintance of mine from long ago has the Anarchists Cookbook.
I had one of those. I purchased it at a gun show in the 70's for cheap. I might have tried some of the "formulas." I gave the book to a coworker who often left in on his desk to intimidate people. He had a big attitude, but was basically harmless.

Quote:
Used to make black powder with saltpeter purchased from the nearby pharmacist.
I have made DIY fireworks from childhood up until the WTC attack in 2001. Every 4th of July and New Years Eve I would "test" my creations in the yard and street in front of my house while the neighbors and often the police watched. As with all avenues of display, the show got bigger and crazier every year, with several others joining in. New Years Eve 1999->2000 was the biggest, when we vowed to "blow up the new millennium."

After the 911-WTC act of terrorism a local police officer quietly informed me that they knew who I was, and what I did. They had been issued orders to no longer ignore those flagrant violations if the law.....no more DIY "firecrackers".

Quote:
Nitrogen tri-iodide was always fun to take to school and scatter wet on the floor.
We also made some purple stains on the floor at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0622.JPG (381.6 KB, 35 views)

And what did we buy today?Hide this!Advertise here!