Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

And what did we buy today?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2019, 11:52 AM   #2421
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Those old 'bar bottle' cases were from the time of reusing the bottles. they would wash and refill them. Some places even had a deposit on the bottles to insure they were returned.

I had several of those cases full of bottles at one time that I used for homebrewing.
Old 17th July 2019, 12:38 PM   #2422
mountainman bob is offline mountainman bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Yah, I think it was two or three dollars more a case but it was just so ‘cool’ and the bottles were differently shaped and heavier......just like ‘home’
Old 17th July 2019, 01:59 PM   #2423
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
cases were from the time of reusing the bottles. they would wash and refill them. Some places even had a deposit on the bottles to insure they were returned.
Glass milk, Coke, and beer bottles all had a 2 to 5 cent deposit in Florida during my pre-teen years. I could hop on my bicycle at home, head north to the 4 lane main road, then turn east. I would hit the restaurants, bars, and apartment house dumpsters on the way to the 7-11 store where I would trade them for cash, a full bicycle basket would usually get me $1 to $2 which was often spent at the TV repair shop for parts or the corner drug store for the latest issue of an electronics magazine (25 to 35 cents).

When the Lum's restaurant opened on my path I got a big pay raise. There were so many beer bottles in their dumpster that I had to carry a burlap bag to hold them all. Lum's was a local Miami chain of 4 or 5 restaurants in the 60's....grew to hundreds, dead now.

Lum's - Wikipedia
Old 17th July 2019, 03:02 PM   #2424
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Lum's had great Hotdogs! There was one in Columbia SC right across either the Gervais street bridge or the Knox Abbot Dr bridge from W. Cola.
Old 17th July 2019, 11:40 PM   #2425
diyAudio Member

The ‘bar bottles’ were actually returned to the brewery for refilling, they were twice as heavy as the regular bottles. It’s different than the recyclables deposit.
I don’t know if they do it anymore?
Old 18th July 2019, 12:04 AM   #2426
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I was raised in good old England and buying beer in bottles was reserved for those who don’t have a clue about beer

The proper thing to do was to go down the pub on the weekend and drink yourself stupid on some hand drawn bitter from a properly stored keg until about 1030pm which is when the pub closed in those days, then after a couple of punch ups you head off to a curry house and eat the hottest damn curry you can find. by the time you were sober the consequences of the curry would’ve worn off too

according to my sister things haven’t changed much since then
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 18th July 2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 18th July 2019, 12:50 AM   #2427
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The ‘bar bottles’ were actually returned to the brewery for refilling
This was the case for milk, beer, and soda products in the 50's and early 60's, at least in Miami where I grew up.....but then the milkman actually brought fresh milk to your door in a delivery truck until Farm Stores squashed that. They used a refillable glass bottle during the early years before plastic took over. They were good for 10 cents off your next gallon when milk was well under a buck.

7-11 stores would pay cash for the refillable glass beer and soda bottles.

I made good money dumpster diving all through my younger years. As a young kid it was bottles, in my teens we hit the electronics importers notably Pearce Simpson and Juliette/Topp. They were next to each other and it didn't take a lot of smarts to make one good CB radio or cheap stereo set out of two dead ones. The Coulter Diagnostics (medical electronics) plant was always good for some scrap circuit boards from which I mined parts.

The coin mining computer case that I mentioned in post #2404 showed up late yesterday. It is large enough, and built sturdy enough to handle the collection of heavy iron needed for a 1 kilowatt tube amp.....I guess I'm running out of excuses not to build it.

Last edited by Tubelab_com; 18th July 2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 18th July 2019, 01:29 AM   #2428
diyAudio Member

Ahh yes.....the days of getting fresh milk from the ‘milk box’ off the porch! Our dairy was only 5 miles up the road, no telling where milk comes from anymore.....is it cows?
Old 18th July 2019, 01:36 AM   #2429
Jim the Oldbie is offline Jim the Oldbie  United States
diyAudio Member

When we were kids, a couple of buddies & I had adjacent paper routes. This is bringing back fond memories of getting together at around 4:30 AM or so, then doing all 3 routes together. We'd buy quarts of chocolate milk (in cartons) right from the guy driving the truck around the neighborhood. He was a grouchy old bastard, but he always did the deal, heh.
Old 18th July 2019, 01:40 AM   #2430
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Parts came in for valve/mosfet head phone amplifier.
Uses 12ax7 and irfp510 mosfet. Very detailed sound as has very wide bandwidth.

Also got parts for 100 watt retro bi polar amplifier.
Based on 1980's Maplin disco amp but only two output transistors.
Just to keep things fun I kept the TO3 type transistors, the heatsink bracket drilling is fun and has to be spot on. Sounds great.

And what did we buy today?Hide this!Advertise here!