And what did we buy today?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So I went ahead and ordered my new Internet service. I went with the "Business" class because that's the only way to get a static IP address and they are fine with me running web/mail/etc. servers. I only went with the 75Mbps service which is 3 times faster than what I have, and it is going to cost about $8 a month more than what I have.

@Nigelwright4557: The hybrid valve/TDA7294 sound like a cool project. If you have more info, let us know (saw you mention the amp in a thread but that was about all).
And can you share you gerber files?

Its simply a TDA7294 preceded by a cathode follower valve.
TDA7294.jpg

Mostly pandemic-lifestyle-change related stuff. A used PCIe wifi card for $10 for my desktop, required because the router was moved from basement to living room, in turn required because my 7 year old does online schooling from her 2nd floor bedroom. I'm thinking now that the desktop is up again it should have a role other than "emergency backup".

A used treadmill. Pretty happy with that one, I always trade sturdiness over newness and features, my wife is the opposite, so it was great to talk her into my choice.

A TV chip, some 0.6mm solder, and some SMD flux. A little googling showed that a Samsung TV I got for free to try to repair actually has a common failure point that is 1 specific IC that is failure prone, worth a shot.

Good luck with the TV :)

I dunno who your ISP is, but most of them toute "Whole home wi-fi" as a feature now using little pucks that plug into an outlet... Maybe they offer it. There's still no good wireless replacements for Ethernet IMHO but Wifi is getting progressively better. Gone are the days of stealing someones internet at 1 mbit on 11b - those were the days haha

Good luck with the TV :)

I dunno who your ISP is, but most of them toute "Whole home wi-fi" as a feature now using little pucks that plug into an outlet... Maybe they offer it. There's still no good wireless replacements for Ethernet IMHO but Wifi is getting progressively better. Gone are the days of stealing someones internet at 1 mbit on 11b - those were the days haha

There's no really any great ISP provider here. Telus is slowly running new fibre through our community but not gotten to our neighbourhood yet. AFAIK the little pucks don't work well, basically halving bandwidth to get distance. Mesh routers are the thing to get for a big house, but still pricey.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
^ Running CAT-6 to where you need it is a bit of work and can be frustrating, but well worth the effort IMO.

It can be easier than anticipated, actually. I ran it to 7 rooms in our house in one weekend, and only had one drywall repair to do.

1000 ft. reel of cable from Amazon and all the RJ-45 crystals, wall jacks and patch panel from monoprice. Overall pretty damned cheap, IMO.

The only things on WI-FI at our house are phones and tablets.

Last edited:
There's no really any great ISP provider here. Telus is slowly running new fibre through our community but not gotten to our neighbourhood yet. AFAIK the little pucks don't work well, basically halving bandwidth to get distance. Mesh routers are the thing to get for a big house, but still pricey.

Bell offers this: Whole Home Wi-Fi | Internet | Bell Canada

Since I only have a bachelor apartment (1 1/2 for those in Québec), I don't need it. The two computers are 2 feet from the router anyway so they use Ethernet. My laptop uses the wifi but that only because I'm too lazy to get a patch cable.

There's no Bell internet out here, and don't know why I would get it if I could, my brother curses his all the time.

Not running ethernet through finished walls again, been there, done that. Frankly I don't see the point with wifi now.

Yup, put up a couple of flickering orange bulbs in our carriage lights. Plus a plastic skull to decorate our candy chute, made with left over sub port stock (civilians call it ABS drain pipe).

I have Bell Home networking, (RF modem on my Tv tower) it works quiet well for my needs. Some crazy number like 350G/month download limit. The upload speed is nothing to boast about. Beats the hell out of Bell Mobility internet that was way more expensive. There is no Rogers in my locale, they drive their service truck by my home, all the time going to areas further out, with higher density, I would like to throw rocks at them if I could get away with it :)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Not running ethernet through finished walls again, been there, done that. Frankly I don't see the point with wifi now.

Ethernet is far faster, far more stable/reliable, and far more secure. Those are reasons enough for me. A side benefit; connecting as many devices as possible with ethernet frees up the wi-fi bandwidth for the devices that can only use wi-fi.