And what did we buy today?

Phase - I agree about the 40s and choke size. I already have a NOS set of 45s waiting to come to life after sitting on my shelf for years, and the intake manifolds are ported for 45s. Since the head is off a race car, my buddy thought we'd start with these, but if I can't make the engine tractable on the street, I'll spring for 40s and new intakes. I like the idea of the conduit. I have another friend who machined his own 38mm chokes out of tube stock.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I went to the wreckers today to get some electrical plugs to replace some dodgy ones on my Peugeot. Got four injector plugs off a volvo S40 (not great but good for spares) and a couple of much nicer plugs off an audi (as well as a couple of three pin plugs that will hopefully fit my TPS).

It's a pick it yourself place, you pay $2 to get in. When I went to pay for my 8 plugs, the guys said "Is that all you've got" I said yes, and he said ok you can go. No charge! Was very happy :) I think a previous time it was $2.50 per plug :)

He asked my which car was mine, I pointed to the pugeout 306 S16 and he said "no wonder you need electrical connectors!!) ;)

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi phase,
Thank you! That worked just fine.

That is exactly the amplifier I want. $600 US is too high, but someone will buy it. I'm looking for something un-restored in good cosmetic condition.

I have a customer forced to sell an amp he just bought and hasn't even seen yet. It is a Marantz 300DC with the factory handles in very clean condition. He has $1,800 CAN invested in it, plus I checked it over. It still meets spec, and someone has replace some capacitors and the speaker relay. It had some really horrid LED lamps in it, I replaced them with a type that looks like the original lamps, so now it looks great. So this one is a safe unit to purchase. He expects to lose some money on it. I'm not making anything, it all goes to him.

-Chris

XP3 is still a good OS. I use it a lot. And as for dotnet support - well, dotnet is a truly awful thing. It should be banished....

That said, W10 is quite good - turn off the update services and expunge cortana though.

I develop software so an up to date OS is required to work with my fast PC (5GHZ). I had to upgrade to Windows 10 for my new motherboard as it wouldn't work with the old OS.
I agree Windows can be slow but a modern fast processor helps with plenty of RAM and a SSD.

So, what is th epart number of those J-Fets?.......Any jfet with three real legs at nine cents each is a stone bargain these days. Audio Research and Creek coined money with J113s

Both Mouser and Digikey have On Semi J113's in the 10 cent range in 1K quantity. Once you find that part on their web side, back up to jfets, then select through hole, then sort the results by ascending price.

I needed some cheap jfets for an experiment, so I got several different ones including J113's in qty 10. They were all 25 to 50 cents each in qty 10. All are 9 to 15 cents in qty 1000. The J111-D74Z works for me, and it's 9 cents in qty 1000.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi George,
I have a ton of J110 J-Fets, long story. I didn't select them. I also have some of various types, but nowhere near a hundred of each.

I was just curious what J-Fets wrenchone felt strongly enough about to buy 1,500 of them. I have to think long and hard about spending $100 on some parts (and those are Canadian dollars). So spending the amount that wrenchone did gets my attention.

I do have maybe 50 of J201 and J202.

-Chris

I deliberately stayed away from the raffle, as I didn't need another mess of stuff to haul home (already an acute disaster area). However, I did nab a nice little sample kit from Linear Systems and a copy of Bob Cordell's new book. Interesting times like ahead as I assimilate some new knowledge.

Neslon Pass said something to me a few Burning Amps ago that sank in. If you see a part that you like, buy into as best as you can, as it might not be around forever. To me there's no such thing as a bad jfet, just some are better than others. The place selling the jfets I nabbed was already selling them at a pretty low small-quantity price. The 9-cent 1k+ price just sweetened the deal. I similarly went in a couple of years ago for 5k pieces of the TIS75, an obsolete TI switching jfet that has a dual use as a low noise amplifier. When local surplus house Halted went out of business last year, I emptied out a lot of their drawers of jfets and small signal mosfets. I also nabbed a fair number of reels of useful surface mount jfets and mosfets. This war chest will be used for an eventual business venture.

Last edited: