The unexplained pneumonia is here!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to recent news about UP from my friends and classmates of hospitals in GZ, the situation is not so good as it was reported in papers and magazines. Now, there still have some new cases everyday, but many cases of them were not so confirmed. Each hospital has set up a new deptartment or a special place to treat these patients.

The situation in the second affiliated hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, I think, is the worst of all. There about 85 case are found in the staff. Most of them are nurses and doctors, and as one of my classmates in department of emergency evidented, an ambulance driver died in this disaster two days ago. The deptartment of medicine were nearly close, about one third of doctors are sick.
five of my classmates are in hospital now. My the god bless them!

Also situation in the third affiliated hospital of Sun Yat-sen University is the same. After the news about UP reported in papers and TV since Feb 9th, less patients came to this hospital for treatment and the total number of outdoor patients dropped to only 200 per day in the worst day. This numbers is less than one fiften of it in recent days. It really damaged its finance. At the same time, as my classmate told me, nineteen people, including doctors, nurse, ambulance driversa and engineers were infected when they tried to help a dieing paitent. I wish the disaster would end righ now and every patient would be healthy immediately.

Just a week before, patients, more of them nurses, with UP were transfered to the first municipal hosptial of GZ. A specially department was built to collect these specail patients and doctors are trying to find a good way to treat them. Now there are 35 patients in this department, but unfortunatedly, 2 nurses died of this terrible disease days ago. It was really a tragedy. As a doctor said, a patient was mad when she was going to leave the hospital. Both these two nurse are from small hospital in GZ, and most patients are very young nurses and from the eighth municipal hosptial of GZ.

As to the eighth municipal, they treated most patients with UP in this accident. But with less doctors and most patients, their work became harder and harder with the number of cases rising rapidly. Many are going to sick because of overwork although other hospitals having sent many doctors and nurses to help them. These angels, facing to the strong devil that we haven't seen before, devoted themselves to help many dying people. We all must appreicate for their great work!

Patients in the first affiliated hosptial of Guangzhou medical College are recovering now. Leading by Academician Zhong Nanshan, patients were well treated. About over 10 people working there were infetive, but the infection is not so worse and they are recovering now. I really wish one day, doctors there can find out the origin of this disaster.

In the following days, we all, doctors and nurses, fighting against this terrible disease, will keep an eye on it.

if it's viral, antibiotics have nothing to do with it, but scarier things are already running around in the US food supply (e. coli O157:h7 will give you bloody diahrrea until you have kidney failure) or in the hospital setting (there is a multi-antibiotic resistant strain of pseudomonas and staphilococcus running around). anyways, be careful what you eat or who's coughing around you. makes perfect sense to have a home theather right now, eh? specially around cold season (right now).

WHO issues a global alert about cases of atypical pneumonia

WHO issues a global alert about cases of atypical pneumonia
Cases Of Severe Respiratory Illness May Spread To Hospital Staff

12 March 2003 | GENEVA -- Since mid February, WHO has been actively working to confirm reports of outbreaks of a severe form of pneumonia in Viet Nam, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), China, and Guangdong province in China.

In Viet Nam the outbreak began with a single initial case who was hospitalized for treatment of severe, acute respiratory syndrome of unknown origin. He felt unwell during his journey and fell ill shortly after arrival in Hanoi from Shanghai and Hong Kong SAR, China. Following his admission to the hospital, approximately 20 hospital staff became sick with similar symptoms.

The signs and symptoms of the disease in Hanoi include initial flu-like illness (rapid onset of high fever followed by muscle aches, headache and sore throat). These are the most common symptoms. Early laboratory findings may include thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) and leucopenia (low white blood cell count). In some, but not all cases, this is followed by bilateral pneumonia, in some cases progressing to acute respiratory distress requiring assisted breathing on a respirator. Some patients are recovering but some patients remain critically ill.

Today, the Department of Health Hong Kong SAR has reported on an outbreak of respiratory illness in one of its public hospitals. As of midnight 11 March, 50 health care workers had been screened and 23 of them were found to have febrile illness. They were admitted to the hospital for observation as a precautionary measure. In this group, eight have developed early chest x-ray signs of pneumonia. Their conditions are stable. Three other health care workers self-presented to hospitals with febrile illness and two of them have chest x-ray signs of pneumonia.

Investigation by Hong Kong SAR public health authorities is on-going. The Hospital Authority has increased infection control measures to prevent the spread of the disease in the hospital. So far, no link has been found between these cases and the outbreak in Hanoi.

In mid February, the Government of China reported that 305 cases of atypical pneumonia, with five deaths, had occurred in Guangdong province. In two cases that died, chlamydia infection was found. Further investigations of the cause of the outbreak is ongoing. Overall the outbreaks in Hanoi and Hong Kong SAR appear to be confined to the hospital environment. Those at highest risk appear to be staff caring for the patients.

No link has so far been made between these outbreaks of acute respiratory illness in Hanoi and Hong Kong and the outbreak of `bird flu,` A(H5N1) in Hong Kong SAR reported on 19 February. Further investigations continue and laboratory tests on specimens from Viet Nam and Hong Kong SAR are being studied by WHO collaborating centres in Japan and the United States.

Until more is known about the cause of these outbreaks, WHO recommends patients with atypical pneumonia who may be related to these outbreaks be isolated with barrier nursing techniques. At the same time, WHO recommends that any suspect cases be reported to national health authorities.

WHO is in close contact with relevant national authorities and has also offered epidemiological, laboratory and clinical support. WHO is working with national authorities to ensure appropriate investigation, reporting and containment of these outbreaks.

For more information contact:

If I were you I would be packing and getting the hell out of there, fast!...I mean, this is life or death we are talking about. Pack your bags and get the hell out of there and move to a place where there is no such virus. :(

And yes, I know what you are thinking "Easy for you to say", but come on! YOU may be the next victim and you don't want that to happen ...do you? :scratch:

And if you don't decide to move, do not worry. I will cross my fingers and even my toes and hope that you will live a good, clean, and healthy life.

//Taku

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Takusama

In the first post of this thread YWH proclaims that he is a doctor. This being the case I highly doubt that he will pack up and move, I think there is something about the "hippocratic oath" http://www.medhelpnet.com/oath.html that I'm sure YWH has chosen to commit to.
You wouldn't tell a squad of firemen that they should "leave the mother and baby..it's too dangerous to go back for them"

In a stress situation such as this our friend needs to hear our support, not alarmist cries to flee the country.

zardoz

So it's better to be a Hero and die then to be a Coward and live to see another day?

Well, in any case. Ywh, I hope you'll both be a hero and live to see another day then. ;)

You guys have to excuse my weird 17 year old mind. My philosophies usually get pretty outrages, sometimes they're good and sometimes they're not. :)

So I will end this post by quoting a very courages and cool made up characer who goes by the name of Vash the stampede...

"Love and piece!!!"

;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.