What part of DIY do you HATE?

Getting started..

I cant seem to get going until I am able to see a clear path toward a *perfect* end product. Most people just start and change tack as new things pop up.. but I'm too concerned about the frustration of projects stalling and the space needed to store them half-built, so I stall right at the beginning.

Doesn't stop me from accumulating parts of the non-started projects though!

Getting thru the dip of a project. That mid point where you want it to just be finished but you have lots of time still to go. In other words finishing.

Also, how one thing leads to another and so on... start with wanting to upgrade a dac and you run dedicated electrical build new speakers buy new amps treat the room... on and on. When it all gets finished one day I’ll upgrade the dac. It’s a little bit of a mental disorder that can, at times, make you hate the hobby.

Oh, where do I start?

- Having your flatmate's ba5tard cat decide that your 15" Altecs make a great scratching post.
- Tossing out that turntable you made lovingly by hand 20 years ago because the crappy motor in the obsolete Silcron turntable had failed. Then telling a friend about it, who says "Oh yeah, I have one of those I'm not using - BRAND NEW - and you can have it."
- Several years later realizing that you also threw out the irreplaceable hand-tweaked-by-Rowan-McCombe Decca London Mk VI elliptical cartridge at the same time.
- Giving all your records to your daughter (because hey, you no longer have a turntable, right?) and then finding out that most of those records are never going to be available on CD. Ever.
- Checking if your iron is hot enough by sniffing the resin on the tip and burning your nose in the process.

I love my hobby, really.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Spending a bunch of money to build something that works perfectly, then making a small change that breaks the project - even after reverting back to the default configuration - and having no idea how (and not enough free time) to make it work again.

That's the only time I have hated this hobby, and it has left a lasting impression because the bloody thing still doesn't work.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Ordering parts at the shops who focus on audiophiles.
They offer covid-19 discount but when you try to order there are to many hurdles. Put a part on a wishlist asked for a quote because i needed it. It took to much time to get them answer they had them in stock. Wanted to pay with paypal could not finalize my order. Then they send a paypal invoice for just one part while i had more on my last. Send them a print screen so they could send me a new a new paypal invoice. Made the payment right away. Still cannot find it in my order history.
Why these companies cannot work like Mouser?
Greetings, Eduard

Finding that your favourite drawing program (Claris Draw, a PC descendant of MacDraw) won't work on Windows 10 (whereas it was fine on Win7 and before) and all the contemporary drawing programs all have a learning curve steeper than NASA's astronaut programme, so I revert to graph paper only to find graph paper is unobtanium, drawing blank stares from stationery shop assistants. How the hell can I lay out a front panel now.

Last edited:
How the hell can I lay out a front panel now.

I learned the Adobe suit 20+ years ago and do my designs in Illustrator 10, but I guess use just some 2-3% of the program's capabilities. I draw boxes, circles, write texts and can even use the layers. Then I line up the boxes and cirles and texts up and print it all out.

Ordered som components from a guy in England 1 1/2 month ago and yesterday he decided that the package was lost and refunded the money ... and today the package arrived.
Paid the guy once again, have to be fair.
But just a few years ago I ordered the stuff from a German company.
OK, good to have a supply of 2K Tempco 3300ppm/K resistors.:rolleyes:

So many different applications or tools that only work on certain systems.

I use an older version of Mathcad, and LspCad that work on W2K, so I have a dedicated workstation for those.

But then there are Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.) and the handy little DATS measurement system that run on my laptop with W10.

Often, data files or picture files need to be transferred from one computer to the other. That can be time-consuming and tedious.

Of course, there is probably a collection of current applications and tools that can be used on a single computer. Maybe I'm resistant to change . . . but if something I have already works . . .
:)