What part of DIY do you HATE?

Buying parts and boards that just sit on the shelf.

Hacking pcb's that werent quite right.
1/ Forgot to name a net GND to connect to other GND nets. Had to add a wire link to connect them.
2/ Didn't read result of clearance check when there was an error. Ended up shorting b+ to USB bus d-. Pc went crazy telling me there was a short on the usb bus and it had to close down to protect my pc.
3/ Sent wrong drill file for a power amp and the output transistors had no holes when the pcb came back. So had to drill output transistor pcb holes myself. These had to be spot on for transistor legs to pass through.

For (3) I have always had problems getting pcb's for that amp. It needs two drill files, one with plated through holes and one without plated through holes. As there is a heatsink on top of the pcb if the holes were through plated they would short on heat sink.

Yes Nigel, we are aware of your feelings on the subject. In the meantime, let us luckier ones enjoy what we have.

If you have a good one then take great care of her. Give her the attention she needs and deserves.

If you do have to separate don't do what I did and offer to buy him a pint for taking her. She has never forgiven me for that.

My worst one is starting projects and not finishing them. Right now I can think of 5 or 6 (which means there's probably closer to 9 or 10). And these would be some pretty cool gadgets - 12-channel PGA2311-based level control, custom IR-remote power sequencer, SSR-based tweeter protection, etc, etc. - if only I could finish them!

It's really past the point of humorous quirk, and well into the realm of clinical dysfunction. Trouble is, I've pretty much been like this all my life. I have a terrible time staying focused, and it's only getting worse as I get older. Not sure what to do about it at this stage.

Meanwhile, I'll be starting one of the biggest kit projects I've ever tackled in about a month. I guess we'll see how that goes...

My worst one is starting projects and not finishing them. Right now I can think of 5 or 6 (which means there's probably closer to 9 or 10). And these would be some pretty cool gadgets - 12-channel PGA2311-based level control, custom IR-remote power sequencer, SSR-based tweeter protection, etc, etc. - if only I could finish them!

It's really past the point of humorous quirk, and well into the realm of clinical dysfunction. Trouble is, I've pretty much been like this all my life. I have a terrible time staying focused, and it's only getting worse as I get older. Not sure what to do about it at this stage.

Meanwhile, I'll be starting one of the biggest kit projects I've ever tackled in about a month. I guess we'll see how that goes...
I have the same problem [emoji23] so many projects, started on a whim, ordered parts etcetera, or taken apart and started on, then moved on and not needed / wanted anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I find unless something/someone external is pushing me to finish a thing, I rarely do

Im 63 yrs old now and STILL dont understand the problem women have with decent size speakers

Women usually can't see the point of owning larger speakers (all speakers play)
and secondly DIY-ed enclosures rarely fit aesthetically well in the rest of the living room.

I think the best compromise could be met by integrating drive units in the furniture (TV set cupboard) in such a way that you would not notice at first there is some at all.

Most of my DIY speakers did not meet the WAF requirement and were usually banished to a dark corner of the house. Granted, many were ugly.......

One day we were wandering a flea market when she pointed at an old console radio and said, "why can't you make speakers that look like that?"

This triggered the "light bulb moment." I bought that old radio, searched up another identical 1941 vintage Zenith, and bought it too. Out went the old speakers, and in went some modern coaxial drivers designed for Open Baffle applications. All old components were saved in case the radios ever get restored.....well almost all. The nice original 6V6G's that are seen in the picture wound up in one of my amps.

That was three residences and 13 yeas ago. These speakers still sit in the living room on either side of a fireplace and more modern TV.

Attachments

• Radio_Speakers.jpg
    Radio_Speakers.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 192
  • One_radio.jpg
    One_radio.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 193
  • Radio_back.jpg
    Radio_back.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 193