What part of DIY do you HATE?

Hello,

The struggle with two nearly-born amps (if I'm lucky:) lead me to this question: What part of diy-ing do you dislike? If you love it all, feel free to build me a few amps, it's your pleasure!

Here's some of the things that annoy me:

- sanding the chassis untill it's showable (I use wooden chassisses)

- forgetting to order an essential component = wait another three weeks

- searching ad infinitum for a little spot in the too tiny chassis to mount a certain component (e.g. resistors to reduce heater voltage; heater trafo's)

- Getting the heater supply at the right voltage (this actually took me two afternoons with some additional problems....)

- The fear that one of the power trafo's will be badly connected and burnt to oblivion (I used to test old trafo's without using a fuse, hence my experience with and paranoia for smoking trafo's....)

- The fear that the amp will sound much worse than it did in the breadboarded version......

- The fear that things will fall apart....

But ofcourse that's all forgotten afterwards.... :eek:

Thank you dear diy-shrink, I feel better now. Let's sling some solder!

:D

Simon

I hate modding stuff and then doubting my own ears. Do I really have to undo my mods again to check that they made a positive difference?

Enjoying building low voltage valve circuits (12 - 24) but being too fearful/inexperienced to try the HT stuff? :rolleyes:

Using silver wire in my projects 'just in case' it actually is the best!

Actually, I feel better now :)

Thank you Dr. DIY

Right now, I'm interested in more projects, but I keep getting outbid!

I'd also like to sell a few of my amps to fund other projects, but am worried that they won't bring in enough to pay for the parts.

The latest idea was to sell my Sleeper Amp on Ebay to see if people are interested in low-watt amps that look like radios.
But, I can't possibly part with it, especially now that I've got it sounding so good!

1- Clean up,...I make seriouse mess when DIYing.
2- Trying to figure a good part lay out in my tube projects..This is allways difficult for me, because I have messed it up big time, & bieng new doesn't help, but I am catching on.!!!!!!!!!
I use hardwood chassis & build them with great care, so If I srew a layout up, it is dissapointing, chassis building is hard work , even with wood..

The mechanical work, especially metalwork. I don't know how to do it, and I don't have the tools. Wood is a little easier.

Finding a vendor that has ALL the parts so I can get it all with one order. And the other side, having to order parts you forget. That's why every one of my projects has Radio Shack parts in it somewhere.