Which Burson Audio OPAMP?

Hey everyone,

this is my first post here and i am seeking some help :)
I want to change the opamps of my DATEQ Dj mixer. It has
these JRC 072d opamps intalled. I head about Burson Audio

and that these can be changed to discrete ones....But i am lost

in technical details, i have a technician which will do the soldering
but i have to buy the components first. So which Burson Audio
product can i install? Is there a common one that works in here?

Thanks in advance
hannes

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The JRC072D (Japanese Radio Corporation) is similar to the well known industry standard TL072 dual FET opamp.

You would need the 'Dual' Burson opamps but it is up to you to ensure suitability of use. The Bursons are physically large (tall) and consume more current than the originals.

So will they fit? and can the power supply of the mixer supply the current needed. The current draw is given in the link here:

Supreme Sound Opamp V6 - Burson Audio

A TL072 by comparison is around 5 milliamps at most.

Thanks for your reply. So when you say there might not be enough power to power the new opamps, would it be sensible to increase the values of the power caps? There are 4x1000uf as i can see now. Would it make sense to put in 4x2000uf? Of course, this will be done by my technician.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It is more than just cap value, it all depends on the power supply configuration and how any voltage regulators are configured.

For example the standard opamps may be fed from a simple resistor and Zener diode stabiliser and if that were the case then there would definitely be problems with the higher current consumption Bursons.

The supply regulators may be small 78L and 79L series parts rather than Zeners stabilisers and these have a maximum current rating of just 0.1 amp (100 milliamps).

The Burson V4 dual opamp has a 40 milliamp current draw. Compare that to a TL072 at 5 milliamps or less.

A good technician should be able to advise once they have seen the unit for real and can see the power supply arrangements and how it is all configured. At the moment it is all an unknown.