Testing for SuperReg-2020

:cop: This thread is split from:
Super Regulator

My read for the ad825 ds is 76dB for Av(ol), for +/-15 rails. Were you using the part 5v data?

If the reg Z(ol) is 1 ohm, the closed loop Z(o) will be around 150uohms (1/6500). This seems to be about what a good current day SR can do. Why do I say that? I just recently measured Z(o) to be roughly that, but limited by the noise of the test setup, as working with a dynamic load of 100mA. More on this shortly.

It is worthy of note that a SR running with a dh44 pass device may need some additional loading to get the open loop Z down. I am running my preamp at more than 100mA total (each rail) for that reason (even though the active stages are lower drain).

All that being said, I am one observer that feels the regulator Z is a very important spec.

Walt Jung

I am uploading my preview document for a tester useful towards exercising SR circuits. It offers useful info on cap ESR and regulator Zout, using the AD825 in a SR2020 circuit.

It will also be available from my website via this link.

Walt Jung

Attachments

• SR2020_Dynamic_Tester_Preview.pdf
    394.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited by a moderator:
Tester schematic

Walt,

Thank you for the article.
Would you also be published the tester schematics some time ?

Best regards,
Patrick

Patrick, the short answer is NO, for a couple of reasons. One is the basic reason that a high degree of technical skill is necessary to make the output useful. As so stated in the Tester Docs. Plus the data obtained is highly specialized.

You can build your own of course, along these lines: A CMOS 555 configured for a low duty cycle, followed by an RC filter to define risetime, and a high current linear switch stage that dumps current into the reg-under-test output. A low noise gain of 100x preamp that reads the AC error from the reg output. You will need to calibrate it all of course, and this is very difficult considering the burden of low-level signals.

I have been informed that you got a tester schematic via a back door, so this was without my permission. The tester schematic was shared with only a few people, and in confidence. Sorry that this kind of thing happens here. But, it is also ironic that the sch you did get is obsolete. I have upgraded the circuit with some refinements since the published photos were taken.

I think it best for me to take leave of this thread, with all such nonsense going on. I am asking the DIYaudio people to remove my name from any and all stuff they are marketing. I do not endorse this regulator PCB as being offered here. They never asked me to begin with, they just used my name. But let's hope they can now find religion and do the right thing.

I can be reached for questions via my website, index.html.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks Walt! I've measured a couple of the big (18mm x 11mm) box enclosed polypropylene film capacitors, typically used for AC coupling at the input of an amp, and found their ESR to be less than 5 milliohms. I recommend NOT using them to bypass the output of SR2020!

I think it best for me to take leave of this thread, with all such nonsense going on. I am asking the DIYaudio people to remove my name from any and all stuff they are marketing. I do not endorse this regulator PCB as being offered here. They never asked me to begin with, they just used my name. But let's hope they can now find religion and do the right thing.

I can be reached for questions via my website, index.html.

This means you do not approve or endorse the pcb sold by DIYaudio for building your regulator?

Any specific details or parts or design you do not approve and go against your original design published in The Audio Amateur and other Old Colony magazines?

An_Improved_Reference_Filter_for_Audio_Regulators. pdf

Here is a very simple technique for improving the reference noise rejection in a SR (or similar) audio regulator.

I was testing some Nichicon audio caps for leakage, and found that they were excellent. Well below 1uA in fact. This allows the filter input resistor to be increased, to 5k from 500 ohms, and voila! Better noise rejection. Read about it in the PDF.

Link to same file on my website: https://refsnregs.waltjung.org/An_Improved_Reference_Filter_for_Audio_Regulators.pdf

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I might be tempted to connect a 100 Kohm resistor in parallel with the low leakage capacitor. In that case, the current in the 100K resistor is (7 / 1E5) = 70 microamps ... so the capacitor's leakage is a small to negligible fraction of the total.

With this new 100K resistor, it's just a plain ordinary resistive voltage divider, and plain ordinary DC analysis applies
  • Vref_out = (Rpar / (Rser+Rpar)) * Vref_in
Capacitor leakage has been rendered ~ insignificant and you can choose a series resistor "Rser" even larger than 5K if it pleases you. Certainly it will improve the rejection of Vref noise compared to 5K.

Just use "Vref_out" instead of "7V" when calculating the values of the resistors in the regulator's feedback network, to get the desired output voltage. Or, as DIYers often do, include a multi-turn trimmer pot.

An_Improved_Reference_Filter_for_Audio_Regulators. pdf

Here is a very simple technique for improving the reference noise rejection in a SR (or similar) audio regulator.

I was testing some Nichicon audio caps for leakage, and found that they were excellent. Well below 1uA in fact. This allows the filter input resistor to be increased, to 5k from 500 ohms, and voila! Better noise rejection. Read about it in the PDF.

Link to same file on my website: https://refsnregs.waltjung.org/An_Improved_Reference_Filter_for_Audio_Regulators.pdf
^^^^ Thanks for this Walt !

Is there anything we can do with our 5 Volt SR's using the AD817 ?