Korg B1 completion kit pioneer batch feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Finished Project

To deal with the microphonic ringing here is my final solution - I tried many others with little to no affect. I lined the chassis box with Noico 80 mil Butyl Automotive Sound Deadening mat from Amazon, closing the top and bottom vents, and 1" Platinum Silicone Hemisphere Isolation Feet. That fixed the ringing and made the box solid with no microphonics. I wanted to see the tube so I sourced a piece of 1/8" acrylic plastic and replaced the top of the box. It's more dense than the original metal piece. No ringing.
I've build two boards and sourced the parts from DigiKey. They both sound fantastic and both have very different microphonic characteristics.
I enjoy the clean, clear sound of the this preamp over many high priced preamps.
Thanks to all who have shared various ideas and insights.

Attachments

• B1 Korg Preamp.jpg
    B1 Korg Preamp.jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 587
I had problem with left channel going out. It worked fine for a while but then started having issues so I reflowed the left side of the board and everything started working fine again. As I was probing around looking for things before and after, I realized channel matching is pretty far off. Any suggestions on how I might improve this? See attached picture. Note that YES, I did try swapping scope probes between channels as well as test signal source but the results indicate the left channel (blue trace) is lower in output then right (yellow trace). Also confirmed this with Fluke 87V. Also note that DC offset is very very close to zero and matches almost perfect between channels. The voltage difference between L and R output increases as a function of input voltage.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Attachments

• DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png
    DS1Z_QuickPrint1.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 513
White (latex, not pink) pencil eraser taped to the top of the NuTube seems to be the best single thing to do to help the microphonics. Also taping the vent holes closed.

The NuTube seem to be wildly inconsistent in their propensity for ringing, some are pretty good, some are insanely bad. They all ring when you tap on the chassis though...

Hadn't realised other people were witnessing the same degree of ringing as me. Both my NuTubes ring like an orchestral triangle in a cave. The idea one is supposed to work in a portable headphone amp with a plastic case is just not realistic. Maybe ok in a HiFi unit with a heavy casing.
Interesting to learn of wild inconsistencies. I was told it rarely causes anyone any problems.
The ring decay time is way too long. I wonder if it is part electrical oscillation like electric guitar feedback rather than just a pinging filament wire.

I haven't bothered using it since I got a little Mojo.

Want to try the tube in the B1 circuit in a sturdy case and see how that works.

Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Alanhuth- the microphony of the NuTube is extremely variable, ranging from “some” to “wow, that’s a whole lot.” I have one so bad that it is absolutely unusable without treatment, and the eraser is the best single thing I’ve found, and works very well with that super microphonic one. The new chassis will have no vent holes and that will help, and many people Have reported that softer PCB mounting can also be very beneficial.

I also have one that works beautifully with no treatment, so your mileage may vary. Hopefully in the future Korg will be able to address this, but in the meantime a little extra work is necessary for some builders. It’s worth it though, this circuit is very well loved for a reason. :D :yes:

Build guide?

Hi,

I'm a little late to the party having recently received my completion parts. Got everything but the chassis because I want to build mine with 3 input pairs.

Is there an official build guide for the kit somewhere? I've looked to no avail and there are many many forum postings.

Has anyone done a version with > 2 inputs? Am interested in CAD files for the chassis as well as wiring diagrams for an input switcher. I will be glad to share mine if I am on untrod path here.

Thanks!

-- chanthing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.