Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Korg B1 completion kit pioneer batch feedback
Korg B1 completion kit pioneer batch feedback Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2019, 03:34 PM   #21
Steve Kalkwarf is offline Steve Kalkwarf  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
That was the point of the photo - the blocks fit. Use them if you want.
Makes sense. Since I'm working from a photo pool with no captions, I had no reference. Thanks for the photos. They have been very helpful.
Old 30th September 2019, 04:27 PM   #22
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

The RK27 has been around a long time (and arguably stood the test of time).
I have a preamp that's almost 30 years old with one (or at least it looks the same)
and the volume control is still smooth and quiet.

It looks to be used in at least one current production high-end headphone amp.
Old 30th September 2019, 04:34 PM   #23
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseq View Post
So when the switch is on the OFF position, the top connectors will actually be powered? I don't think you want this, I'd rather make the bottom connectors go to the socket power and the middle pair go the board, so that in the off position the top pair is actually off.

Thats not a bad suggestion - and if it were an AC switch I'd never have it wired with the top terminals hot. But it is low voltage DC, and there's a LOT of photos that would have to be re-shot because the resistor would have to change position... as well as the drawings. It's not an insignificant amount of work to change it
Old 30th September 2019, 05:36 PM   #24
caseq is offline caseq  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Thats not a bad suggestion - and if it were an AC switch I'd never have it wired with the top terminals hot. But it is low voltage DC, and there's a LOT of photos that would have to be re-shot because the resistor would have to change position... as well as the drawings. It's not an insignificant amount of work to change it
Well, it actually works with the LED and resistor soldered as on your existent photos -- that's the way I did it. In the off position, the anode end of the LED is floating and the cathode is connected to the "ground" via the resistor. One may argue it still leaves a path from the power socket to the circuit in the OFF state, but so is the case with power wired to the middle pair.
Old 30th September 2019, 07:25 PM   #25
pfarrell is offline pfarrell  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there a "best practice" aspect to this? Is one way "preferred" over the other? I feel like I understand how it works in the original wiring that 6L6 did... I'm less sure of why it works in the way caseq did it....Seems like something has power in both scenarios...?
Old 30th September 2019, 07:49 PM   #26
caseq is offline caseq  United States
diyAudio Member

I feel it's probably worth spelling out what happens with the switch in OFF position in both cases (the ON position should be equivalent from what I understand). I'm using this photo B1 with Korg Triode as a reference of what 6L6 suggests, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In 6L6's wiring:
PS "+" comes to the the middle post and is connected to the top contact of the switch, and therefore to both LED anode and cathode and (via the resistor) to the PCB "GND" (PCB "+" is not connected).
PS "-" comes to the middle post and is connected to the top contact that is not connected.

In my wiring:
PS "+" comes to the bottom post and is not connected.
PS "-" comes to the the bottom post and is connected via the resistor to the cathode of the LED (and then via LED to the "+" of the PCB; PCB "GND" is not connected).

Now that I think of it, the ideal way to connect the ground end of the resistor would perhaps be the middle post, as it would leave the circuit entirely disconnected with the switch in the OFF position. Considering PCB ground may actually be grounded somewhere (e.g. through in/out grounds) this leaves the possibility of small (2.4mA) current going through the resistor in the off state.
Old 1st October 2019, 09:31 AM   #27
Gidu is offline Gidu  France
diyAudio Member

Good morning all !

My package has arrived in France and I look forward to receiving it to go to the assembly of the kit ! In the meantime, I heat my soldering iron ...

I think I read somewhere post about the size of the case used in the kit, but I can not find it anymore ! What are the external ratings ???

PS: sorry for the rough English, but the years of high school are only a distant memory ...
Old 1st October 2019, 10:00 AM   #28
Gianluca is online now Gianluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidu View Post
Good morning all !

My package has arrived in France and I look forward to receiving it to go to the assembly of the kit ! In the meantime, I heat my soldering iron ...

I think I read somewhere post about the size of the case used in the kit, but I can not find it anymore ! What are the external ratings ???

PS: sorry for the rough English, but the years of high school are only a distant memory ...
This is the chassis we have used for the Korg B1 project

Galaxy GX247 230 x 170 x 40 mm 10mm BLACK front panel
Old 1st October 2019, 10:18 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianluca View Post
This is the chassis we have used for the Korg B1 project

Galaxy GX247 230 x 170 x 40 mm 10mm BLACK front panel
Ok, thank's a lot Gianluca ! Grazie mille !!! It's perfect, I still have a 240mm wide space on my DiY support to fit the KORG B1 preamp ...

Last edited by Gidu; 1st October 2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:31 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I can not wait to start working on this kit which will complete my current audio installation (Player Jriver + NAS Netgear + PC Win 10 dedicated - audio CD DiY - DAC Matrix Mini Pro i - Aleph mini clone power amp - SUPRAVOX Sheridane high sensitivity speaker).

I have been building and modifying since many years various Hifi equiments: audio CD player, tube and transistor amplifiers, radio receivers, etc ...

I intend to publish here a report on the construction of this preamplifier based Korg Nutube kit, as well as many photos of the various stages of the assembly of it.

Thanks to Mr. Nelson Pass and to all the other members of this forum (6L6 ...) to make available to the community of DiY these highly musical electronic shematics, as well as the associated know-how !

Last edited by Gidu; 1st October 2019 at 11:34 AM.

Korg B1 completion kit pioneer batch feedbackHide this!Advertise here!