Back panel kit (Schurter IEC with two fuse holders)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have purchased this kit and it is very nice but I have a question regarding the two fuse holders in the IEC connector. What is the reason to have to active fuses? ….one is at the Neutral line and the other is on the Live line. They will be in series with each other. How can I avoid one of them?
Install a 10A in one holder and a 2A in the other (if 2A is the max. rating)?

I also would like to know what 2 fuses are appropriate for an F5 build. Please provide a link to digikey or mouser if possible.
Thanks

Here's what you're looking for:

021802.5HXP Littelfuse Inc. | Circuit Protection | DigiKey

Digi-Key Part Number F2427-ND
Manufacturer Littelfuse Inc.
Manufacturer Part Number 021802.5HXP
Description FUSE GLASS 2.5A 250VAC 5X20MM
Detailed Description 2.5A 250V AC DC Fuse Cartridge, Glass Holder 5mm x 20mm

My question was why these IEC connectors in DiyAudio store kit need two fuses to work. The two fuses will be serial connected and the extra fuse does not add more protection as a single fuse would do. Two e.g. 3.15A fuses in serie does not add more protection than a single 3.15A fuse. It is a double contact version and it may add some kind of symmetry.

This article may be helpful:

Double Fusing or Fusing Both Sides of the Line | In Compliance Magazine

"The only condition where fusing both phase and neutral conductors yields non-redundant protection against both faults is where polarity reversal is possible. That is, where the phase and neutral conductors could be interchanged on the supply side of the fuse. If polarity reversal is possible, then double-fusing guarantees that the phase conductor will always be provided with a fuse."

Ok.....that is the explanation…..to ensure the phase always has a fuse. The Danish 230 VAC connects we insert in the wall outlet can be put in both ways so we normally don't have any control what is phase and what is neutral.

Thank you for that explanation!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.