Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2019, 06:21 AM   #61
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillett View Post
Those units are incorect. 111 dBV is something like 350kV, and 1uBar is ~73dBSPL. Perhaps it should be 111 dBSPL/V.
Pete
Yes, from another manual 111 dB/V is mentioned:
Specifications; Reboot - Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless User Manual [Page 6]

I think the other wrong specification was from B&W official homepage.
Thank you very much for the extra sets of tubes you provided. I made a quick test yesterday and the General Electric 18FX6 are almost silent. And they also sounds very very good. When I come close with my hands to these tubes they a less sensitive to pickup noise/hum. The RCA tubes picks up hum so with them I would need an extra shield. It is probably because I have no "earth ground" and maybe also because the headphones are very sensitive. 9-10 o'clock at volumen is loud. But with all tubes I can make it completely silent by shielding the tubes with my hands (if my hands has connection to chassis top). General Electric are nice tubes. When I get some shielding around the tubes I will listen more carefully to each set of tubes. I have also a couple of other brands on the way from ebay……..
Old 12th April 2019, 06:41 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

I just ordered one more. Then it may be easier to compare two sets of tubes. Hopefully the cut outs in the front panel is not "black" but pure aluminium so no need to remove black layer to get chassis connection to vol. pot.
Old 12th April 2019, 06:48 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ALSR View Post
For those of us who haven't started construction yet on our 'first batch' kits, could we purchase one of the 'second batch' PC boards?

If you know of front that the small pads can be a little tricky then I see no problems using the old PCBs…...it just takes a bit more patience. A fine tip at 400 C and 60/40 solder then it goes quite smooth.
Old 12th April 2019, 03:10 PM   #64
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ALSR View Post
For those of us who haven't started construction yet on our 'first batch' kits, could we purchase one of the 'second batch' PC boards?
Sure, that's a fine idea. We're happy to offer the updated PCB at cost to anyone from the first batch. Please note there are no changes at all other than larger solder pads. Please give me a day or two to organize the mechanics of it and I'll send an email out with the details.
Old 15th April 2019, 04:24 AM   #65
diyAudio Administrator

An email has just gone out to batch 1 purchasers with a link to let them obtain a batch 2 PCB at cost. If you didn't get the email, please check your promo/spam folders first, then contact the helpdesk. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 15th April 2019, 12:59 PM   #66
nuryev is offline nuryev  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi, today I placed my order for an SSII as part of the second batch.

When I ordered my ACA, I ordered two - in case the first build ended in disaster! It did not! Now I have two ACA's with rca or XLR balanced option!

My silly question relates to the feasibility of buying two SSII kits and connecting them in a single case for use with ACA's accepting a balanced input.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:34 PM   #67
Centurion53 is offline Centurion53  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
An email has just gone out to batch 1 purchasers with a link to let them obtain a batch 2 PCB at cost. If you didn't get the email, please check your promo/spam folders first, then contact the helpdesk. Thanks for the suggestion!
Jason
I tried to order my board today but when I went to check out the payment block appears to be broken, will not allow me to input card info. Is there a problem with the store?
Old 15th April 2019, 11:03 PM   #68
diyAudio Administrator

Should be fine, no issues have been reported. if problems persist please email contact@diyaudiostore.com.
Old 15th April 2019, 11:37 PM   #69
John ALSR is offline John ALSR  United States
diyAudio Member

I was able to order a v.2 board today at ~9AM local. I received an email confirmation.

Starving Student II Headphone AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!