Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2020, 10:37 AM   #191
SuppersReady is offline SuppersReady  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Finally finished the exterior of my case with some Danish Oil on the oak front. The little black knob was the best of what I could find for a 6mm d shaft. I must make sure that I check the shaft size before ordering next time (no innuendo intended, honest).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201103_102859.jpg (637.8 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by SuppersReady; 3rd November 2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:45 PM   #192
rikiheck is offline rikiheck
diyAudio Member

Looks great! I built mine stock but into a custom case, as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

(Full size image: http://rkheck.frege.org/images/wood/SSII-03.jpg).
Pronouns: they, them, etc System: DIY Turntable, Graham 2.2, Grado Statement Master, XP17 & XP20, Schiit Yggdrasil, Logitech Transporter, Aleph 1.2s, Dynaudio Contour 60s, Gotham Audio Cables DIY Builds: Whammy, SS II, Balanced B1

Last edited by rikiheck; 3rd November 2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:58 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Very nice!

I'm just starting with woodworking, that is something to aspire to.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:48 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Thanks! It's been a merging of two hobbies. I've made two Whammy's as well for friends.
Pronouns: they, them, etc System: DIY Turntable, Graham 2.2, Grado Statement Master, XP17 & XP20, Schiit Yggdrasil, Logitech Transporter, Aleph 1.2s, Dynaudio Contour 60s, Gotham Audio Cables DIY Builds: Whammy, SS II, Balanced B1
Old 14th November 2020, 12:02 PM   #195
helpmeplz is offline helpmeplz
diyAudio Member

Hey, I assembled everything according to the guide. When I do a smoke test I get around 42V on both pin3 and only the LEDs inside the tube sockets are lighting up. When I plug it it I hear a lot of cracking. I re soldered everything but I still get the above voltage. What can I do to find the issue?
Old 19th November 2020, 04:28 AM   #196
diyAudio Member

Just FYI, I initially had very bad microphonic issues with the Raytheon tubes supplied with the kit. Ringing when turning the volume control, or tapping the case, or even when the cord would sway when I was listening.''

I tried a different pair of Raytheons from EBay. No difference. Then tired a pair of RCA tubes. Problem gone.

I don't (yet) have a view about other differences between these tubes. The RCAs are clearly better for me, so not much motivation...
Old 28th November 2020, 11:30 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

Default First experience of Tube/Valve rolling.

I've been using both iterations of my SSII with the Raytheon tubes for a while now. I hadn't got around to trying some of the other valves from the rolling kit that Peter Millett sent me last year.

I've only tried the Tung-Sol so far. What a difference! I was only expecting minor differences in character, so initially I was only intending to listen casually whilst doing some domestic admin. Six hours later and a lot less domestic admin than planned...

I only stopped because I suddenly realised what the time was and the battery on my AK70 was nearly empty. It is so much cleaner and exciting following the valve swap. Ridiculous amounts of low level detail from tracks I thought I knew well.

Goosebumps and foot-tapping, 'nuff said! Thanks again to Peter Millett and the DiyAudio store!
Old 28th November 2020, 04:43 PM   #198
helpmeplz is offline helpmeplz
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I have a problem. When I do a smoke test I get around 43V on both pin3. I checked all my connections for shorts and cold soldering. I re soldered everything and removed the capacitors and checked if they are ok.
Looking at the circuit plan I assume my mosfets are broken when the voltage is not right at pin3. I don't know how to check them, only guide I found says there has to be a high ohm resistor between the pins, which is the case.
I assume some parts are broken, if it is not the mosfets how can I find the broken parts? Thank you.
Old 12th December 2020, 08:09 AM   #199
dfreemansc is offline dfreemansc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I’ve been bothered by a slight ‘bathroom’ effect to the sound of mine - like listening in a tiled room rather than with soft surfaces, smearing detail, if that makes sense.
I initially thought it was my headphones (dt150), so did some work on those to good effect, but the big difference was changing the caps in the signal path.
I’ve swapped out the wimas to better films, and c1 & 2 to np muses.
What a difference!
All the reverberant effect has gone, the imaging is much more ‘planted’, everything is so much more real (imho).
If my experience is anything to go on, a change very well worth considering!
Dave
Old 12th December 2020, 12:12 PM   #200
dfreemansc is offline dfreemansc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuppersReady View Post
I've been using both iterations of my SSII with the Raytheon tubes for a while now. I hadn't got around to trying some of the other valves from the rolling kit that Peter Millett sent me last year.

I've only tried the Tung-Sol so far. What a difference! I was only expecting minor differences in character, so initially I was only intending to listen casually whilst doing some domestic admin. Six hours later and a lot less domestic admin than planned...

I only stopped because I suddenly realised what the time was and the battery on my AK70 was nearly empty. It is so much cleaner and exciting following the valve swap. Ridiculous amounts of low level detail from tracks I thought I knew well.

Goosebumps and foot-tapping, 'nuff said! Thanks again to Peter Millett and the DiyAudio store!
That sounds interesting!
Unfortunately the diyaudiostore is sold out - anyone know of a source, preferably uk?
Dave

Starving Student II Headphone AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!