Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier
Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2020, 10:51 PM   #151
BuzzerBro is offline BuzzerBro  United States
diyAudio Member

Just ordered the STARVING STUDENT II kit. I happen to have a spare ALPS RK27 100K pot for volume. Would I need to change any components on the board to accommodate the 100K pot for volume control?
Old 4th May 2020, 10:54 PM   #152
pmillett is offline pmillett  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzerBro View Post
Just ordered the STARVING STUDENT II kit. I happen to have a spare ALPS RK27 100K pot for volume. Would I need to change any components on the board to accommodate the 100K pot for volume control?
No component changes needed. But the RK27 is much larger than the on board pot, so you may have some mechanical challenges.

Pete
Old 4th May 2020, 11:20 PM   #153
BuzzerBro is offline BuzzerBro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillett View Post
No component changes needed. But the RK27 is much larger than the on board pot, so you may have some mechanical challenges.

Pete
Thanks Pete. I will be using my own large enclosure so I have lots of room.

What are some mods or upgrades builders have performed?

Thanks!
Old 8th May 2020, 09:00 PM   #154
Jdoiv is offline Jdoiv
diyAudio Member

Default Help please

Hi,
This is my first real project this size and I have hit a problem. I got everything built and preformed the smoke test. Have almost 19v on both sockets. However, I only have sound in the left channel. I've swapped tubes, tested the headphones and the source. I traced as much of the right channel as I could (what to do at the socket?) and reflowed a few questionable joints. Still no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Old 9th May 2020, 06:13 PM   #155
NoMethod is offline NoMethod  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoiv View Post
Hi,
This is my first real project this size and I have hit a problem. I got everything built and preformed the smoke test. Have almost 19v on both sockets. However, I only have sound in the left channel. I've swapped tubes, tested the headphones and the source. I traced as much of the right channel as I could (what to do at the socket?) and reflowed a few questionable joints. Still no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
As much as I hesitate to suggest, I listened when Pete recommended that I re-solder the diodes. And it worked! The only difference was that I had both channels out. But like you, I had proper voltages.

Donít give up! In a couple of days youíll be ordering another kit!
Old 9th May 2020, 06:58 PM   #156
Jdoiv is offline Jdoiv
diyAudio Member

thanks NoMethod. I'll give that a go next and report back.
Old 11th May 2020, 01:01 PM   #157
kpsthakur is offline kpsthakur  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Pete, I have been browsing your earlier material on SS HPA's, and bit tempted on the 12AU7 version (normally preamps come loaded with them). Since the initial version used 19J6, the availability of tubes probably made you chose 18FX6(A). the SS II board seems not to be suitable for 12AU7 straightaway since pin outs are different...do we have a work around or Point-Point soldering to the Tube holders is the only way out...thats more of mechanical solution.
Old 20th May 2020, 06:24 AM   #158
shoo is offline shoo
diyAudio Member

Just finished the SSII and it was a really enjoyable project. Thank you Pete. As this is my first experience with tubes, I've been having a great time testing it with various headphones. I've been running it in the resistor plate load, and plan to switch to CSS in a couple weeks and try that out.

I notice a barely audible hum on my sennheiser 558, and a very pronounced background hum with the campfire audio nova (22 Ohms, 114 dB SPL/mW Sensitivity). Whereas the background is dead silent on the LCD-2. I'm wondering if I have a ground issue, or if the IEMs are simply a poor pairing for this amp.
Old 25th May 2020, 05:18 PM   #159
Texas58 is offline Texas58
diyAudio Member

Quick question - I am not getting the right measurement range when I test voltage between pins 3 and 4 on tube sockets- barely get anything. Does this mean the tube sockets should be extracted and re-soldered first, or should I look back to something earlier in the circuit as possible problem? The tube LEDs do light up. Thanks - determined not to give up!

Starving Student II Headphone AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!