Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier
Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier
Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2019, 03:30 PM   #121
Logic800 is offline Logic800  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Will this amp work OK with 250 ohm headphones?

Hi, thinking of buying the complete kit - can anyone confirm that the amp is OK powering 250 ohm headphones? Thanks.
Old 30th October 2019, 03:54 PM   #122
aljordan is offline aljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic800 View Post
Hi, thinking of buying the complete kit - can anyone confirm that the amp is OK powering 250 ohm headphones? Thanks.
I am using it on a set of 300 ohm Sennheiser HD 650 without any problems. I wish I had a little less sensitivity at the low end of the volume control, but my DAC has a rather high output level.
Old 30th October 2019, 03:58 PM   #123
aljordan is offline aljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgny View Post
I recently received the tube set for the Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier. All were received promptly and in good shape. I have switched out the original Ratheon tubes for the Sylvania, RCA, GE and Standard Brand tubes. All work flawlessly. Unfortunately, I can not hear any difference in sound quality among the lot. I am using Sennheiser HD565 headphones and an Apple iPod for input (FLAC files). Is this just because I'm an old guy with bad hearing or am I missing something?
When I first built the kit, I picked up a few pairs of different tubes. I agree that their was very little difference between the sound of the different tubes. I heard far greater differences when running different source DACs into the unit.
Old 30th October 2019, 08:34 PM   #124
Logic800 is offline Logic800  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljordan View Post
I am using it on a set of 300 ohm Sennheiser HD 650 without any problems. I wish I had a little less sensitivity at the low end of the volume control, but my DAC has a rather high output level.
Thanks, that is useful feedback.

Starving Student II Headphone AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!