Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2019, 01:41 AM   #111
GraphicCanuk is offline GraphicCanuk  Canada
diyAudio Member

I am interested in building this amp for mostly headphone use. My question to anyone in the know is if this amp can nicely drive 32ohm Master and Dynamic MH40 headphones?
Old 4th October 2019, 03:35 AM   #112
aspringv is offline aspringv  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'd say yes, drives my 32 ohm headphones just fine (ath-msr7).

I've built one and I thought it pretty great
Old 4th October 2019, 03:50 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Question - the chassis - where is it from? I'm thinking a linear, regulated power supply might be a fun/easy 'upgrade' and lord knows I have the transformers to suit. Ideally I'd like a matching case though, so can anyone tell me the model/maker?

Edit - silly question - it'll be hi fi 2000 I assume!

Last edited by aspringv; 4th October 2019 at 03:54 AM. Reason: muppet!
Old 4th October 2019, 02:11 PM   #114
GraphicCanuk is offline GraphicCanuk  Canada
diyAudio Member

Aspringv thanks, I was pretty sure this amp would drive low impedance cans, due to specs but some assurance is always good. Yes the case is a nice one. It looks like a small Galaxy 1 case to me, but that is just a guess. Milling the front would be an issue for me as I have no quick access to a milling machine.

Edit.I see your assumption is like mine a hifi 2000 case....

Last edited by GraphicCanuk; 4th October 2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Read the question again
Old 10th October 2019, 03:20 AM   #115
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Pre-orders for a SSII tube rolling kit are now open...

Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier – diyAudio Store

Thanks to Pete for opening up his stash of tubes for us
Old 10th October 2019, 03:32 AM   #116
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringv View Post
Question - the chassis - where is it from? I'm thinking a linear, regulated power supply might be a fun/easy 'upgrade' and lord knows I have the transformers to suit. Ideally I'd like a matching case though, so can anyone tell me the model/maker?

Edit - silly question - it'll be hi fi 2000 I assume!
Correct. The base is a Galaxy 1U 124x170mm Aluminum chassis ($59). You could reproduce the SSII chassis or make your own total customized with these services: Front 10mm panel CNC both sides ($70), Re-anodize 10mm panel after working ($25), Printing front and back ($70), rear CNC ($30), top cover CNC ($30), total $284. For a matching linear regulated power brick, you might not need any services at all - just DIY and drill some holes in the rear panel of a stock chassis. Maybe and add matching text on front (we could get you the same font and size so it matched).
Old 10th October 2019, 04:47 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

That was the thought. Lovely wee case, but I would imagine the shipping is going to be the tricky bit in the end. I'm actually considering if I can generate something the same shape and size and making it out of timber; could be a fun contrast.
Old 10th October 2019, 05:15 AM   #118
diyAudio Administrator

I adore wooden chassis. I still have a pre-amp from Peter Daniels from a decade ago which has pride of place in my collection. It's a work of art. Don't let me persuade you from getting a chainsaw out and finding some red gum, would love to see the end result. I should probably do the same.

Last edited by Jason; 10th October 2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10th October 2019, 02:54 PM   #119
sixfellas is offline sixfellas
diyAudio Member

Default Blue LEDs are burning though my eyes and etching my soul.

Hello everyone, quick question on the blue LEDs under the tubes. If I had to do it again I would have put the LEDs on the bottom of the board (obviously I did not). I'm looking at desoldering the tube sockets and LEDs to get them under the board and I'm pretty sure I will trash the socket, the LED or the board trying to do so at this point so I'm looking for some other option to get the LEDs to not show through the tubes. Does anyone think painting on black fingernail polish would be a viable option for blacking these things out or would that generate too much heat even with an LED? Thanks for any input.
Old 28th October 2019, 04:15 PM   #120
srgny is offline srgny  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently received the tube set for the Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier. All were received promptly and in good shape. I have switched out the original Ratheon tubes for the Sylvania, RCA, GE and Standard Brand tubes. All work flawlessly. Unfortunately, I can not hear any difference in sound quality among the lot. I am using Sennheiser HD565 headphones and an Apple iPod for input (FLAC files). Is this just because I'm an old guy with bad hearing or am I missing something?

Starving Student II Headphone AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!