Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier

It seems 18FX6(A) tubes are a bit more hard to find than 1-2 years back. Prices also seems to have raised a bit.
But there are probably several thusands of these tubes out there.....somewhere?
Sylvania, General Electric, RCA are also very nice tubes. I have only one Tung-Sol tube so far....
I think the amp used as pre is at a very high level on an absolute scale (and not only relative to price).

Question about the chassis front and back panels:
Suppose I wanted to build my own chassis using a Galaxy 1U and use Front Panel Express to order my own front and back panels.. what's the best source of truth for laying out the necessary holes?
From some threads I understand that HiFi 2000 also uses Front Panel Designer files. So maybe there's already a file I could port for that layout?

Love this little SS pre/HP amp. Currently using it with the Icepower module class D kit amp. Was kind of designing the chassis on the fly, and wasn't sure how I was going to lay it out for welding. Found the extrusion for the side panel after the fact so, I need to remake the front panel a bit longer for the welding scheme I want to use, and how the chassis comes apart. Still can see what I am aiming to do with it. I am using it as is, just stacked together for the time being.

NW0ecao.jpg

Elsewhere on this site, Mark Johnson describes an inline filter for switching supplies, as used here. It's a tiny board with only a few parts. I have quite a few boards here, ready to send out. If you want one or two and are in the US, then they are free. If you want more than two or are not in the US, then I'll ask you to toss me a couple bucks to cover the costs (60 cents per board) and shipping (usually just a first class letter, though more than three boards takes it over an ounce). PM me if you want some.

Note also: Mouser BOM here for one click ordering. This does not include DC jacks, etc, as on the original BOM.

I'm thinking of removing the front panel switch and putting a rocker on the back since I'm modding a Galaxy 1u case anyway.
Is there anything I should worry about here? Should I just solder a 4 wires directly from the relay to the new switch? Looking at this part

Maybe a dumb question.. but I'm a total newbie to anything "off script" with these projects.

Last edited:
I'd probably do it differently: Wire the power supply through the switch, and just solder 'jumpers' across the connection for the old one. But that will depend, obviously, upon how you set the whole thing up.

Personally, I'd take the opportunity to upgrade the RCA connectors as well. PartsConnexion (in Canada, but with reasonable shipping to the US) has these wonderful KLE connectors now: KLE Innovations RCA Connectors. (KLE is Keith Louis Eichmann, he of the old Eichmann connectors.)

Loving my amp so far, but it's started to develop more hum. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more!

I'm wondering if it's related to the difficulty I've had seating the tubes in their sockets. See pic.
As you can see, I haven't installed the chassis yet. It's out at Front Panel Express.

The hum is kind of two "layers": a persistent hiss that's always there (maybe just the standard noisefloor for this amp?) and a louder hum that gets louder as I move my hand closer to the tubes.
If I touch the 1/4" headphone adapter the hum reduces slightly.

Any tips?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.17.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.17.12 PM.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 225
Should I be worried about 19.8 volts on pin 3?

Noob here, I just completed my build and the voltage on pin 3 of the sockets was 19.8 +/- .04. The fact they measure so close to each other seems good, but the documentation says the range should be 18.5 to 19.5 so I'm slightly over that. Should I be concerned? If it's a result of my error, where should I look for the error? I've gone ahead and listened to it for a number of hours, it all seems good to me and nothing has blown up so far. But ignorance is bliss only until it isn't so I thought I'd better ask if there is something here I need to rectify. Thanks.

I built two SSMH years ago, a point-to-point (modified for 12SR7 tubes) and PCB (19J6). Is it possible to incorporate the delay circuit from the SSMHII into these? Is it it a simple "cut & paste" of the circuit?

Likely would use the SSMHII walwart, instead of the original cisco since it may not have enough power.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SSMH_delay mod.jpg
    SSMH_delay mod.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 709
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A new starving born yesterday

Just finished... No hum and no issues with the need to ground the pot. Just the kit with attentive to follow the easy instructions of the usual great diyaudio fellow(thanx) Maybe was lucky but build was really easy and first time right. Curious to see how the sounds develop after some play time. Yesterday in the first hour seemed a bit dark for my taste. Subjectively today seems to open up? Maybe i get my ears trained to it.. Thanxs to Mr Millet and this community that continue to offer great kits for the unexperienced like me.

@johnbode:had voltage variations as well. If nobody commenta it is probably ok as the instructions seem to suggest

Attachments

• IMG_20210812_075057.jpg
    IMG_20210812_075057.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20210812_102037.jpg
    IMG_20210812_102037.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20210812_075105.jpg
    IMG_20210812_075105.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Having successfully built a SSMH, I would bow like to build this new version.
I want to use it as a pre amp for my Nad power amp.

I’m wondering if I can buy the PCB on its own?
I enjoy sourcing all the components myself and making my own case as I did for the last one.

Cheers.
Andy in NZ

Joined 2003
Paid Member
How much critical is 47.5k value of R13 and r21? Found in house 2 charcroft 47k and wonder if can use them in spite of the value difference. Stock yageo are 1%tolerance so they will never reach 47k as lowest value while charcroft tolerance are non existent so they will be probably really at 47k sharp. Thanx

No sound from new build.

I bought this kit for my son and he built it without any real problems. But, once plugged in it did not produce any sound.

The blue LEDs light up.
The two white LEDs on the inside light up when I max the volume.
But there is not sound.

Does anyone see an obvious problem with the build?

Attachments

• 20211206_133449.jpg
    20211206_133449.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 20211206_133537.jpg
    20211206_133537.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 154