Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2019, 10:43 AM   #101
TYM is offline TYM  France
diyAudio Member

Good morning gentlemen,
I like the tube illumination design but not in blue colour and less bright... I would prefer it in a warm white glow (apparently, I am not the only one in this case) Therefor, I would like to order new diodes but I have seen, earlier, in this thread that we have to uses same diode specification to keep original voltage... please, could you advice me by telling me which diode is the best solution for this modification.
I thank you really much in advance.
Have a nice Sunday
Old 25th August 2019, 05:07 PM   #102
pmillett is offline pmillett  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA91 View Post
HEADPHONE JACK MIS-ALIGNED ?

I’ve read these interesting forums (thank you) for years and finally taken the steps of getting involved.

I couldn’t wait for the approved power switch to arrive; with all components populating the board I mounted the 3 rear connectors (perfect) then the front volume control + phone jack - seating firmly and soldering.

With the board mounted to the top panel + sides + rear, has anybody else had a problem with the front panel slanting up from the vol ctrl and being several mm higher on the power switch side when it is slipped over the volume control + phone jack? Both elements were right down onto the board.

I’m not having any luck removing the jack to loosen things up to re-visit the installation with un-soldered hardware.

My first three thoughts were an “oddball jack”, the fourth one was an “installation mess-up”.

If I can remove the jack, is it OK to RE-use it with the signal pin NOT protruding - are those holes plated-through?

Any helpful suggestions please?

Soldering iron goes nowhere near the new power switch yet : {
I have seen some misalignment like this when I assembled the prototype, but for me it was no problem to push the front panel into position to put the screws in. I have not heard issues from other builders. So I don't know exactly what your situation is. It is possible that tolerances somehow stacked up against you.

Skewing the jack might be a solution, or enlarging the hole in the panel. I think we should do that on the next run of chassis - loosen the holes up a bit to accommodate tolerances.

The holes are plated through, so it should be no issue if the pins don't stick through the PCB.

Pete
Old 25th August 2019, 05:23 PM   #103
pmillett is offline pmillett  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYM View Post
Good morning gentlemen,
I like the tube illumination design but not in blue colour and less bright... I would prefer it in a warm white glow (apparently, I am not the only one in this case) Therefor, I would like to order new diodes but I have seen, earlier, in this thread that we have to uses same diode specification to keep original voltage... please, could you advice me by telling me which diode is the best solution for this modification.
I thank you really much in advance.
Have a nice Sunday
I have not tried it, but going by the datasheets, this one seems close enough:

LTW-420D7 Lite-On Inc. | Optoelectronics | DigiKey

(Not much color temperature selection in white LEDs, I'm afraid, so this one is not exactly "warm"...)

Pete
Old 25th August 2019, 05:40 PM   #104
TYM is offline TYM  France
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much :-)
Old 6th September 2019, 04:17 PM   #105
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I experienced a "funny" issue. I have built two Starving Students so I have two 48 VDC PSU's. I was using one of the SS's as preamp for M2X amplifiers. Then after a while I could hear a weak "sizzling" sound (when no music was playing). I found out that the sound came from the two tubes. I let it cool down and started up again. During warm-up there was no sound but again after a while the sound was there. Then I switched PSU and problem gone. Next step would be to measure the 48 VDC ripple noise with oscilloscope but I think I will just go for another PSU. As I have no Earth (safety ground) in the outlets I can use a PSU without.

I am looking at this one in 48 VDC configuration:
https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webd...6b816793b7.pdf
It should work?

Is there a 48 VDC linear PSU alternative?
Old 7th September 2019, 10:19 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

By the way…..it plays very nice as preamp. Very listen friendly. I feel I have better/deeper bas as when I just used a passive preamp. Also have a feeling that the dynamics and 3D imaging is better.

I think this adapter (with P1J DC connector) could also be a good alternative as PSU. Mean Well seems to have a good reputation.
GST120A48-R7B | Netadapter, bordmodel, 1 Udgang 120 → 370 V dc, 85 → 264 V ac +-1% +-2.5% -30 → +70 degC P1J 2.5A 48V | RS Components
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4037_00001.jpg (389.1 KB, 133 views)
Old 10th September 2019, 08:26 PM   #107
chris0202 is offline chris0202
diyAudio Member

For desktop bricks, From my personal experience on nuhybrid, sl power psu are much quieter than meanwell. I assume tdk ones are even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post

I am looking at this one in 48 VDC configuration:
https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webd...6b816793b7.pdf
It should work?

Is there a 48 VDC linear PSU alternative?
Old 11th September 2019, 10:30 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Ok.....TDK has a Danish web-page.......I will look at it:
TDK-Lambda Denmark
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:01 PM   #109
SuppersReady is offline SuppersReady  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A nice little Sunday afternoon project and my first DIY valve kit. A well put together kit and everything fits nicely. It has a very pleasant and characterful sound too.

Has anyone tried this kit with a better quality volume control? Is it possible to get the pcb on its own? I'm asking this as my immediate feeling is that the existing volume pot may be limiting what the circuit may be capable of. Plus, I could try it with Dale resistors,etc.

Many thanks to Pete Millett and diyAudio store for providing us all with such good quality kits.
Old 24th September 2019, 12:37 AM   #110
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuppersReady View Post
Is it possible to get the pcb on its own?
I actually have one left in the warehouse from when we offered to send them to people who got batch 1 with the smaller pads. Please email contact@diyaudiostore.com to start a ticket and the helpdesk will get it to you.

Starving Student II Headphone AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!