Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2014, 06:14 AM   #1
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Default Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6

In an attempt to keep things on topic and not clutter up the general ACA thread with order questions or specific about the 1.6 kit, this is a thread dedicated to specific questions about the Amp Camp Amp V1.6 kit from the diyAudio store.

For general questions about the Amp Camp Amp, not specific to this particular version of the kit, please post here:

For questions specifically about the 1.5 kit, please post here:

Last edited by Jason; 14th May 2018 at 05:57 AM.
Old 9th May 2018, 04:32 AM   #2
jpechloe is offline jpechloe  Canada
diyAudio Member

Interested in the new ACA 1.6 kit, seeing that this is a stereo power amp only it requires a preamp.

Having a Compactron 8810 tube preamp which has low gain and I have no idea as to its output, it works fine to drive my 2 stage triode wired KT88 class (A) integrated SE amp
which has a 100k Alps blue pot using the amp as is or use it with the preamp.

Would this Preamp be ok to use.

Is the Kit available after the preorder?
Old 9th May 2018, 04:40 AM   #3
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:
ACA 1.6 kit,
ACA 1.1?

dave
Old 9th May 2018, 04:41 AM   #4
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
The most recent kit, currently for preorder, is the v1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpechloe View Post
Having a Compactron 8810 tube preamp which has low gain and I have no idea as to its output, it works fine to drive my 2 stage triode wired KT88 class

Would this Preamp be ok to use.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsilverballs View Post
Once you wire the XLR plugs in can you still use an ACA as a stereo amp or do you need to swap wires around?
You can still use the RCA inputs and run the amp as stereo. The XLR is mono as it uses both channels to run one speaker. The XLR does not interfere with the RCA inputs, use one or the others. Don't need to rewire anything to change it.

Last edited by 6L6; 9th May 2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 9th May 2018, 05:02 AM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I think he might have been referring to the speaker wire connections on the back panel, which IIRC, as with any bridged stereo amp will need to be swapped

p.s. - since your excellent construction page for this kit shows the necessary wiring of XLR to attain the bridged mode with balanced input signal, how about maybe a mock photo of the speaker connections when run in that mode. You know, something like “when XLR is wired as per the color code in previous photos, the speaker polarity would be ....”

Last edited by chrisb; 9th May 2018 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11th May 2018, 06:20 AM   #6
jklow888 is offline jklow888  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in a pre-release order of the ACA 1.6 but had some questions:

1. Will the suggested 24V power brick generate any hum ? I currently use a miniDSP HD 2x4 with an Emotiva XPA-5 and that appears to inject noise (DC ?) such that it is audible on my DIY OB's.

2. Given the need to bi-amp, is it possible to get a custom kit that could fit in one chassis to drive 4 channels and be powered from one power supply ?
Old 11th May 2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Zombie is offline Zombie  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Wanted to order a kit but the shipping to Europe for two boards and and an handful components will cost several hundred USD. Ridicolous, it will all fit into a small jiffy as a letter.
Is there anyway to get the boards only from Europe or do anyone offer boards manufactured in Europe?

Last edited by Zombie; 11th May 2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11th May 2018, 10:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Administrator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
Wanted to order a kit but the shipping to Europe for two boards and and an handful components will cost several hundred USD. Ridicolous, it will all fit into a small jiffy as a letter.
Is there anyway to get the boards only from Europe or do anyone offer boards manufactured in Europe?
Hi. We're aware that in particular recently, international shipping prices from our shipper have gone up. What I can tell you is that we don't make any money from shipping - we just charge what we are charged. What's included in the price you see is the carrier base rate, mailing materials, international processing administration fees, and for the cheaper services, we actually have to pay an extra fee for using a "non expensive" carrier. That's the price we pay for shipping, and the exact same price we charge customers. On top of that and not included in the price you pay (we pay the following), theree is storage, monthly dues, and of course a per item picking/pack/handling fee.

As I said, we're aware that non-domestic-US shipping is higher than we'd like and we're actively searching for a way to give better international shipping from our US warehouse, because we really do care about our international customers and we want your business. If shipping is high, people don't want to buy stuff, no fun gets had, and everyone loses!

That said, I just added the basic kit (not including PSU) to a shopping cart and entered a random address in Berlin (10785). The cheapest shipping method (USPS First class, which if it's > $100 in value, which this is, is tracked and insured) came to $30.03. USPS Priority (which is tracked and insured) was $54.66.

If you add the PSU, it goes up a lot ($61 for USPS First Class (again tracked, insured), $63 for USPS Priority tracked, insured), because the PSU is huge and weighs over one pound just by itself (and two pounds including its protective packaging and the power cable). As mentioned, we are searching very hard for more economical shipping for international customers. It won't be a reality for many months though.

I'm not sure what happened with your quote of several hundred dollars for shipping one kit, but perhaps you're living in a very expensive or remote location? We will search tirelessly for a new, affordable (and reliable) shipping partner for you as time goes on. I hope you check back in the future to see what we've found for you, and all our many DIYers from every corner of the globe (myself included).

EDIT: Corrected some information - all USPS First Class (the cheap one) is tracked and insured if it is > $100 in value, which the ACA kit is.

Last edited by Jason; 12th May 2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11th May 2018, 11:08 AM   #9
3kes is offline 3kes  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

With the taxes and clearance on top of the shipping costs the amp gets pretty expansive. If only we could get the original pcb. All the other parts can be bought elswhere.
Old 11th May 2018, 11:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Administrator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kes View Post
With the taxes and clearance on top of the shipping costs the amp gets pretty expansive. If only we could get the original pcb. All the other parts can be bought elswhere.
The PCB has been continuously available since it was first released several years ago, only going out of stock in the last few months, so most people who wanted to make an ACA from the bare PCB have done that over the years.

The kit has been the problem child, so we're focused on solving that issue at the moment. When the kit starts shipping, we'll make the PCB available for immediate sale, and so the PCB will start shipping then too. No concerns about the new PCB selling out, and that's why we're not doing a pre-sale of it - it's just much simpler to make it available for sale when it's available to ship and avoid all the headaches that go with pre-sales. If you sign up to the "notify me when available" notification for the PCB, you'll get an email as soon as it comes back in stock:

Last edited by Jason; 11th May 2018 at 11:16 AM.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6Hide this!Advertise here!