Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8

Thanks for the suggestion Mazeppa and bumping my request. Maybe I should just sell my kits and buy something better. No one in New England willing to build?

thanks,
Mark H

May I further suggest that you stay with trying to get a pair of ACA's somehow?

I've lately come to the notion that to obtain amplification equal or superior to a Pass Class A DIY item gets really expensive in a hurry.

If you can wait for me to get an Aleph J built, I perhaps we could do a trade of my working ACA's for your kits and hold them in reserve as was the previously planned destination for my ACA's.

Thanks for the suggestion Mazeppa and bumping my request. Maybe I should just sell my kits and buy something better. No one in New England willing to build?

thanks,
Mark H
Mark, I think you cannot ask for more qualified hands than 6L6 to build your ACAs. Even if you found local builders, still probably 6L6s job would be better. Since he has already offered, perhaps take advantage of his incredible generosity? I did in the past and he is not only one of the most generous people I have met, he is also incredibly gentleman about it. There are no strings attached or ulterior motifs to his generosity. It is just pure untinted generosity!

Again, sorry about your condition deteriorating. Best of luck,
Rafa.

Hi, new to diyAudio but not to diy audio. Jason at diyAudio store suggested I post over here.

Since I ordered a pair of the 1.6 kits in the first round and received them, a long time tremor in both of my hands has gotten worse. I can no longer solder accurately.

I live in the Boston area and wonder if there's someone who has already built this kit successfully who would be willing to build my pair up into balanced monoblocks? Local would be ideal but I would ship both ways and pay for your labor.

thanks,
Mark H

Hi Mark,

I live about 75 to 90 minutes from Boston. I built a pair of ACAs a few months back. I am almost done building the M2. I can build your ACA's for you, and if you like, you can use my ACA monos while I build yours. I will be in Holliston Mass on Tuesday evening / Wednesday morning. If you can meet me some place close to Holliston we can do a swap.

Just send me a private message if you are interested.

Alan

Hi Mark,

I live about 75 to 90 minutes from Boston. I built a pair of ACAs a few months back. I am almost done building the M2. I can build your ACA's for you, and if you like, you can use my ACA monos while I build yours. I will be in Holliston Mass on Tuesday evening / Wednesday morning. If you can meet me some place close to Holliston we can do a swap.

Alan

Good man

Hi Mark,

Alan

Very generous of you Alan and convenient for me living in Upton. I PM'd you.

Jim,
do you get the 'buzz' if you remove the inputs from the ACA?
Can you feed a signal directly to the ACA without going through a pre-amp? And does that buzz?

I guess it was all working correctly, have you made any changes co-incident with the buzz starting? Like adding a mains network extender near by etc.
Alan
Thanks for the suggestions. I did get new interconnects and changed a couple of pieces of equipment, so grounding seems like a good diagnosis. I haven’t had time to solve it, but that gives me a good start.

Jim

Hi! I live in Asia!

I just ordered 2 pieces of ACA and excited to see them delivered to my doorstep. In the meantime, I am thinking of the preamp I will pair with the kits to control the volume. Any recommendations? I will appreciate very much recommendations from the masters

Roland

Sure 150mW pre amp installed inside ACA. With L7812 24V to 12V regulator. 20181114_150235.jpeg

Like many, ACA's were my intro to Class A and the short version is that I am ruined. Class A, all the way for this Dago, now.
I listen mainly to late 60's, early 70's rock & roll lately adding a lot of altenative rock.

Previous system consisted of:
Yamaha DVD/CD player - Grant TubeDAC 09 - Soundcraftsmen A2502 - Ascend Acoustics CBM 170SE speakers and a Rhythmik L12 servo sub.

A good rig: clarity, details, excellent at dynamics no matter how dense they got. Served me well for nearly 3 years, but I began to notice not a lack, but shortness of emotional involvement. Decided I want more.

Upgraditis sets in and I started with a Schiit Multibit Guingnir DAC and a Schiit SYS passive volume control.
Got a pair of Omega Super 3XRS single driver speaks that I was initially quite disappointed with, but after about a 100hrs of break in they began to sound not only good, but really good.
Enter a pair of ACA v1.6 monoblocks, and viola, we're getting some magic, but still not that "music becomes a part of the air, is sensed with more than just the ears" I'm looking for. Enter a Schiit Saga with a Tung Sol 6SN7 tube buffer.

Now we're talking, my listening sessions increase in length and I find myself 1/2 way through a cd for the second time before I notice I've already heard it once. As the speakers continue to break in I find myself more often clapping and hollering "Whoo-yeah!" with a big gring on my face.

My wife thinks I'm crazy.
She's probably right, but she loves me anyway.

Critically speaking, I find improvement in all areas except upper mid range thru treble, seems like my system is trying a little too hard and and not quite getting there at times, especially when the dynamics get dense. A little sibilance I'd like to have go away as well.
But man, from the mids on down it is almost euphoric at times (depending on the recording) with the mid bass being superb. Overall there is much more to the music, I continue to be amazed at how good these musicians/singers are.

To recap, system now is:
Same Yamaha DAD/CD player - Schiit Guingnir Multibit DAC - Schiit Saga tube buffered pre - ACA monoblocks - Omega Super 3 XRS speakers and the Rhythmik L12 servo sub.

Loving it, boys, loving it.

External PS leaves plenty of room inside.
Cool experiment.

Add volume control and you are integrated. :note:
After listening some more I have to conclude the Sure is NOT a nice pre amp. It lacks bass. Listening to Yello La Habanera the opening bass drum is almost non existant. Also the highs aren't as nice as without the Sure. This after comparing and interchanging the ACA and KEF with my main amp and main speakers.
Volume wise the Sure adds a lot. But sound wise it's much better to up the volume of the Chord Mojo. 20181121_114921~01.jpeg

After listening some more I have to conclude the Sure is NOT a nice pre amp. It lacks bass. Listening to Yello La Habanera the opening bass drum is almost non existant. Also the highs aren't as nice as without the Sure. This after comparing and interchanging the ACA and KEF with my main amp and main speakers.
Volume wise the Sure adds a lot. But sound wise it's much better to up the volume of the Chord Mojo. View attachment 716997

Your findings are consistent with what I have learned about the ACA's.
If the music doesn't sound good, best bet is too look elsewhere than the amps for improvement.

The ACA's are capable of providing outstanding bass and midbass; and man, the punch and rightness of drums.
I could go on, but will refrain until my Omega Super 3XRS speakers get some more time on them.

No sound out of my 1.6

My amp heats up but I don't get any sound. I checked the voltages and they're within range or just slightly out. I have continuity between the boards and input/output terminals. One measurement that seems odd is 0 ohms between the + and - spkr outputs on both channels - is that normal? Any other ideas on what may be happening (or not happening?).

Thanks for your help

My amp heats up but I don't get any sound. I checked the voltages and they're within range or just slightly out. I have continuity between the boards and input/output terminals. One measurement that seems odd is 0 ohms between the + and - spkr outputs on both channels - is that normal? Any other ideas on what may be happening (or not happening?).

Thanks for your help

Had similar problem. see some 50 posts back. I eventually pulled the board and reflowed everything. That did the job for me.

Michael

Hi Mark,

Alan

Alan finished building my ACA 1.6 kits and hosted me at his home yesterday to exchange them for his own pair loaned to me. What a kind and generous fellow! Between his welcoming wife Mary, comfortable home, homemade vegan lunch and sweet cat I couldn't have asked for more.

Our extensive listening session and conversation on everything from dacs to music to preamps to music to dsp to music to amps to music was very enjoyable. Alan has a great ear for music that has both fine production values and compositional/performance quality. It was surprising what good sound he got out of a modest set of Klipsch KG-4s augmented by a pair of DIY sealed subs by paying attention to each link in the reproductive chain including a proper symmetrical setup in his dedicated room.

Thank-you Alan!