Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2019, 04:56 AM   #511
BadToTheTone is offline BadToTheTone  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default We Have Lift Off

Got the first one up and going on it's maiden voyage. Sitting here on top of it's little brothers. Robbed their setup to run a quick test. I'm always amazed when I flip that switch and get wonderful sound instead of puffs of smoke.....

This one does not have the manners of it's little brothers, it farts lightly on startup. I'm sure the family will be amused.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACA 1.6.jpg (73.7 KB, 193 views)
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:23 PM   #512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheTone View Post
.....This is a niggly little thing. I had my heart set on those cool blue LEDs, then found I have 3 blue and 5 red. I'll just pick a few up at a local electronics store, which lists these: CREE BLUE LED 5MM 4100MCD VF=3.2VDC IF=20MA CREE5-BLU. Anything special about the ones in the kit? I measured 'em, they are 5mm.......
I went ahead and bought 5 of these blue Cree LEDs. Got some extras, they're cheap. Used one to replace the missing blue one from my kit, and used the three blue ones from the kit. The naked eye normally can't see the difference between the new one and the other three. But I can tell the difference, and when I take a picture at certain angles it really shows up as different. I should have just used 4 new ones, and that way I would have been assured they were all the same.

Not a big deal, just a note to be aware that all blue LEDs are not the same. If I get bored and ambitious one day I might switch them out so they are all the same.
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:41 AM   #513
poseidonsvoice is offline poseidonsvoice  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:

On another note, when I got to the wiring & assembly stage, I found build thread posts #173 and #175 by Anand to be very helpful. These were comments on which wires to use where and a general assembly process. And of course the only reason I got that far was because of that really nice guide by 6L6. Thanks to you both. May want to consider incorporating posts #173 and #175 into the guide? Just a thought.
I was just bumming around the ACA thread to see if anybody needs help and along comes your thank you note!

Thanks!

I tell newbies and seasoned diy'ers all the time: "It's not about the destination, because for diy'ers there is none, it's about the journey."

I'm sure somebody famously intelligent and modest coined a similar phrase, like the Dalai Lama...so best to listen to those guys!

Best,
Anand.
Old 23rd May 2019, 06:28 PM   #514
Mazeppa is offline Mazeppa  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:
Got the first one up and going on it's maiden voyage. Sitting here on top of it's little brothers. Robbed their setup to run a quick test. I'm always amazed when I flip that switch and get wonderful sound instead of puffs of smoke.....

This one does not have the manners of it's little brothers, it farts lightly on startup. I'm sure the family will be amused.
Yes, but it's a musical fart.
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:39 PM   #515
Tuberoller is offline Tuberoller  United States
diyAudio Member

Anyone figured out what causes it?
I've got it too
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:42 PM   #516
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Eating too many beans. Duh.

The “fart” is normal on startup, it’s the output capacitor charging.
Old 23rd May 2019, 08:41 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
Yes, but it's a musical fart.
So true, Mazeppa, so true.

I have noticed that my MF'ers (that's Musical Farters, of course) only do it in stereo mode. In bridged mode, they hold it, very quiet on start-up.
Old 23rd May 2019, 09:17 PM   #518
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
^^Post of the day.

Old 24th May 2019, 12:50 AM   #519
aljordan is offline aljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

If you miss those cute little noises, parallel mono mode will bring them back.

I have a pair of low 86 dB efficiency 4 ohm speakers that are made up of a standard driver that crosses over to a BG quasi ribbon dipole panel at 200 or 250 hz. The panel takes the rest of the range. I've only ever driven these speakers with fairly high powered mono amps.

Yesterday I got the idea to drive the low frequency drivers with a stereo M2, and use the ACA 1.6 amps in parallel mono mode on the panels, as the ribbon is a non-reactive stable 4 ohm load.

I can't believe how good it sounds.

Quote:
So true, Mazeppa, so true.

I have noticed that my MF'ers (that's Musical Farters, of course) only do it in stereo mode. In bridged mode, they hold it, very quiet on start-up.
Old 24th May 2019, 01:45 AM   #520
Mazeppa is offline Mazeppa  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aljordan View Post
If you miss those cute little noises, parallel mono mode will bring them back.
Roger that
Gonna miss them a bit, I think.

Got the Aleph J online tonite.
Too much

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6Hide this!Advertise here!