Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In order to produce that small output power to the speakers, the ACA requires multiple times that power from the outlet. The ACA circuit is a “Single ended class A amplifier” This type of circuit requires a lot of power to create a small amount of output i.e. “not efficient” but it does sound very good. The excess power turns into heat which is why this amp has relatively large heatsinks for its power

Can I ask? Why does every build I see here have a giant 300VA something transformer for the power supply when the original design is only like 10 watt?
Surely one should be able to get away with a small 20VA torroid.
Or am I missing something?

Every build or just mine can’t remember how I managed to end up with 300VA but a bit of surplus power is good. Full shielding makes it even bigger. 095F490B-9977-48D8-B5AC-F4C6AE5CA481.jpeg

RafaPolit
I am a bit confused if you are talking about the "other" First Watt amps that actually use 300VA transformers? The ACA is, more often than not, driven by a SMPS 24V 5A PSU (this one: Meanwell 24V 5A power supply and power cord – diyAudio Store )

Still, consider that the 10W of the V1 is more like 8W per channel now in the newer versions of the ACA. That said, that is the power it can deliver to the speakers, but it is NOT the power it draws from the wall. There is a lot of heat dissipation, hence the need for the beefier PSU.

Still, you are probably referring to the "other" amps and not the ACA which is not very often driven by linear PSUs.

Rafa.
Variac
In order to produce that small output power to the speakers, the ACA requires multiple times that power from the outlet. The ACA circuit is a “Single ended class A amplifier” This type of circuit requires a lot of power to create a small amount of output i.e. “not efficient” but it does sound very good. The excess power turns into heat which is why this amp has relatively large heatsinks for its power
Steve Luck
Every build or just mine can’t remember how I managed to end up with 300VA but a bit of surplus power is good. Full shielding makes it even bigger. Attachment 986607

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have been clearer about what I'm intending to do.

I want to build a Mono amp going in to a single Jamo centre
speaker Ebay cheapie (from a surround setup ). It'll basically
be like a big crude Bluetooth speaker except mains-powered
and no bluetooth.. Well bluetooth optional.
So 1 ACA and 1 speaker
When I wrote 10 watts I meant for it to be easier to understand because people usually would think of the ACA
as stereo with 2 x ACA.
So really it should be 5 Watt output.

But as you've all pointed out; The circuit itself is far more power hungry and as I am intending to use a 7818 voltage regulator in the power supply that should gobble up a couple of watts as well.

Rafapolit pointed out that the original ACA used a

switchmode PSU brick thingy at 5 Amps into 24V.
So we're in the territory of around 125 Watt max draw.
Quite a bit beyond my hopes and dreams of 20 watt.

Does anyone know what the measured power draw for 1 channel is(roughly)?

I actually have a 300VAC transformer but I'd rather use it for a more ambitious build.

Thanks for all the kind answers.

But as you've all pointed out; The circuit itself is far more power hungry and as I am intending to use a 7818 voltage regulator in the power supply that should gobble up a couple of watts as well.

Quite a bit beyond my hopes and dreams of 20 watt.

Does anyone know what the measured power draw for 1 channel is(roughly)?

I'm a little confused too, but here are some facts.

Each ACA board draws approximately 1.5 Amps so 36 Watts dissipation - as heat. (1.5A x 24volts = 36 watts) Class A amplifiers are very inefficient at less than 25%.

Always design a power supply to have more current (amps) than the total draw by at least 1.5 times and 2 times even better. Every thing will run cooler and with less stress. That is why the Meanwell SMPS is rated at 5 Amps, not 3 Amps.

Not sure the 7818 voltage regulator is what you want? Aim for 24 volts at 2.5 Amps to get nearly 8 watts of output from a single ACA.

We can all dream...

And you want it to be linear, without question? If not, you could save your toroid and use the linked PSU. It really sounds superb and you save your toroid for the more ambitious project.
Yes without question. Linear PSU is my entry in to electronics
It's what I understand and it's better than a SWMPSU for audio anyway.
It's all about learning for me.

Linear PSU's was first. Next is audio amplifier circuits.. Tomorrow the world!

The current draw is listed on the schematic for the ACA. The schematic can be found in the build guide on the product page in the DIYAudio store.
Thanks I'll check it out.

I'm a little confused too, but here are some facts.

Each ACA board draws approximately 1.5 Amps so 36 Watts dissipation - as heat. (1.5A x 24volts = 36 watts) Class A amplifiers are very inefficient at less than 25%.

Always design a power supply to have more current (amps) than the total draw by at least 1.5 times and 2 times even better. Every thing will run cooler and with less stress. That is why the Meanwell SMPS is rated at 5 Amps, not 3 Amps.

Not sure the 7818 voltage regulator is what you want? Aim for 24 volts at 2.5 Amps to get nearly 8 watts of output from a single ACA.

We can all dream...
Awesome answer. It's everything I needed to know.

So the new plan is a 7824 regulator and I just bought
a 160VA Torroid transformer.. Actually I bought 2 after realizing another project of mine is underpowered in the same fashion.

Attached is a rough drawing of the PSU.

The best dreams are the ones that come true.. Except for nightmares of course.

Attachments

• draw.jpg
    draw.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 116
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes without question. Linear PSU is my entry in to electronics
It's what I understand and it's better than a SWMPSU for audio anyway.

The SMPS is by far the best approach for the ACA on technical grounds.

So the new plan is a 7824 regulator and I just bought
a 160VA Torroid transformer.. Actually I bought 2 after realizing another project of mine is underpowered in the same fashion.

Attached is a rough drawing of the PSU.

That will never power an ACA, not even 1 channel.

The ACA is probably the most unsuitable amp you could choose based on your requirements :) It has to be said... just so you know.

A bridged chip amp would deliver many times more power and have next to nothing quiescent current draw.

The SMPS is by far the best approach for the ACA on technical grounds.

That will never power an ACA, not even 1 channel.

The ACA is probably the most unsuitable amp you could choose based on your requirements :) It has to be said... just so you know.

A bridged chip amp would deliver many times more power and have next to nothing quiescent current draw.

We have to seriously consider safety as a constraint with regard to the power supply circuitry for the amplifier. We assume that most of the participants in this project do not have the skill to safely connect the components which make up an amplifier power supply to the AC powe line. I addressed this by choosing a commercially available switching supply of the type you routinely see powering up your portable computer. There are literally tons of surplus supplie available for this purpose, providing regulated 19 volts DC at more than 2 amps or so on the output and having their input going safely to the wall AC power outlet through a safety approved power cord. These supplies are isolated for shock safety and are also short- protected. At 19 volts output they do not represent much of a hazard to humans. What? An audiophile component with a switching power supply?
Get over it – it works fine.
Do you know who wrote that?

It seems that whoever wrote that, also designed the "Amp Camp Amp"
That person seemed far more concerned with the safety of the participants of the event than any 'technical' benefits that might be gained from using a switchmode powerbrick..

What? An ACA with a linear power supply?

Get over it – it works fine.

I could keep quoting Nelson here. Especially concerning
your suggestion of using a 'chip amp' but I'm not going to.
It seems to me that the spirit of the ACA is to teach
people how to build and very crucially, to understand how an
amplifier works. That's not going to happen by buying an off the shelf powerbrick and an IC.

If this is about some audio purist indignation at me not
buying the Audio store brushed aluminium kit then
all that makes me want to do is to mount the whole design
in a giant pickle jar and call it the ACA tube amp, complete
with blinking LED's. I'll make the thing look like a brothel.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Who wrote what? I have no connection with anything in that second block of text you quote.

I'm say the SMPS is the best PSU for the job here. It wins on cost, size and performance.

You need to look at the PSRR of an ACA before deciding to go down the linear route. Yes, a linear supply can offer excellent performance but its no small task to end up with a result that will be a as quiet as the SMPS.

If you want to learn about design then that is to be applauded but do make sure you understand all the pros and cons of each PSU approach first.

SMPSU's are universally known as being noisy compared
to Linear PSU's. I don't care what circuit they're feeding
by their very nature they are prone to introducing oscillations.

It seems to me that you've all accepted SMPSU as being superior just because it was part of the original design.
when the real reason had nothing to do with it being better
and everything to do with it being safer and easier. Sheesh
read the thing for yourself..

https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_amp_camp_1.pdf

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I did read it. Many moons ago. Please show the ripple you have calculated for your power supply. Without those calculations all your words are just some noise. Please feel free to build your supply and test it. This is just audio nothing more. To learn more about the ACA and the modifications that have been successful, look for the thread titled "ACA with premium parts".
The new V fet amp that all of us have lusted after employs a SMPS PSU chosen by Nelson Pass himself. Maybe they are not as bad as you believe.

I did read it. Many moons ago. Please show the ripple you have calculated for your power supply. Without those calculations all your words are just some noise. Please feel free to build your supply and test it. This is just audio nothing more. To learn more about the ACA and the modifications that have been successful, look for the thread titled "ACA with premium parts".
The new V fet amp that all of us have lusted after employs a SMPS PSU chosen by Nelson Pass himself. Maybe they are not as bad as you believe.

Maybe they aren't and maybe my very standard regulated linear supply design isn't that bad either.
You're 100 percent correct The best way to find out is to build it.
And test it.
I'll check out the aca premium parts thread as well.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member