Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8

Just finished my 1.8 kit build. The amp sounds wonderful! And there is absolutely no noise, hiss, hum or anything to distract from the music.

About the 12V setting: How close is close enough? It is nearly impossible to get it to exactly 12V. I assume a few 100ths of a volt either way is fine?

A couple hundreds of volts off won't matter at all. Just make sure are setting the bias when the amplifier is at thermal equilibrium which won't happen until about an hour after its turned on. I use the same process Nelson has set for the other Firstwatt projects: set bias pots to min up on initial power on, let it warm up for a few minutes and set the bias "close" but on the lower side. Then return in an hour and set it again.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
...But it's not Bias. It's DC midpoint, and won't effect the total heat or operating point in the same was as an adjustable bias will.

That said, setting it warm is a good idea. Rechecking once everything is totally to temp is also a good idea. Set to approximately 1/2 of the rail voltage. Close is good enough, micrometer not required. :)

New ACA 1.8 Chassis

Fantastic work on this design! :cheers:

--Tom

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    657.3 KB · Views: 163
...But it's not Bias. It's DC midpoint, and won't effect the total heat or operating point in the same was as an adjustable bias will.

That said, setting it warm is a good idea. Rechecking once everything is totally to temp is also a good idea. Set to approximately 1/2 of the rail voltage. Close is good enough, micrometer not required. :)

Exactly. Don't sweat the microvolts! :)

both ACAs are now down at work :)

connected as Balanced monos:
- no power ON thump
- extremely clean sound
- very good detail
- "quite (more than) a tad" on the cold side of neutral (compared to... my beloved SIT 3 :angel: )
- good bass. on the lean side but definitely there (Cornwall III speakers)
- one, *maybe*, plays a little louder than the other one ("image" is slightly off center). but never played this album before so... who knows?

in conclusion... I'm very happy (and proud ;) )
... oh... both powered by an LPS (underneath the left ACA) I built a couple of years ago while waiting for the kits to arrive

Attachments

• ACAs_200920.jpg
    ACAs_200920.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
ok, tried stereo on both ACAs: one is fine one is not :(

on the "quiet one" one channel doesn't work

not working channel follows the output: right channel if connecting right speaker to right outputs, left channel if connecting left speaker to right outputs
swapping SE inputs left/right doesn't change the above

Last edited:
not working channel follows the output: right channel if connecting right speaker to right outputs, left channel if connecting left speaker to right outputs
swapping SE inputs left/right doesn't change the above

Sorry I do not understand the statement.
On the 'bad' side check the input resistance and output resistance.
Meter on 20k range, check the centre to outside ring of the RCA, should be about 50k ohms.
Meter on the 2k ohm range, check the resistance from the red to black speaker terminals. Should be 500 to 1000 ohms.
Compare to the good example.

Then we need to see pictures. Will be something simple.