Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2018, 06:09 AM   #21
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbog View Post
I'm thinking of getting the new Amp Camp Amp which will ship July 31. I have a turntable which has its own preamp. I notice the A-C-A amp. does not have volume control and I see no way to adjust the volume without using an integrated amp with volume control. Therefore, it seems the A-C-A will not be what I'm looking for.

If it is suitable and I order two kets, how would I connect them to double the power or will instructions be included.

Edbog
The ACA is a power amp, and therefore has no volume control. You will need to attenuate the signal before it gets to the ACA, either using a potentiometer / "passive pre", or a pre-amp, or a volume control courtesy of your source.
Old 14th May 2018, 08:59 AM   #22
Black Stuart is offline Black Stuart  France
diyAudio Member

Jason,
this suggestion is a bit naughty but very nice - I bought a Dark Voice 336SE via Massdrop and as it was coming from the USA I was fully expecting to pay the EU 20% tax (anything above €45 gets taxed) and the Customs inspection fee.

What Massdrop appears to do with EU orders is ship everything to Germany marked and correctly if the item is going to be shipped onward to another EU country as - in transit.

This means it is not inspected by Customs or taxed and of course once the item is 'inside the EU' n o further taxes or inspection fees are paid - voila, I received the h/amp free of all charges.

Maybe diyaudio could check this out. I stopped buying vinyl and other stuff from the USA because shipping and taxes are now so high.

The other alternative is that if buyers are prepared to wait then container shipping is way, way cheaper than by airmail.
Old 14th May 2018, 09:52 AM   #23
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
I can't comment on what might have happened in your case, who knows how, or why that happened. Unless you get that information straight from the horses mouth (Massdrop) about how the did that, it's pointless to speculate. What I do know, because we in the past used to have an EU warehouse, and I run another business with EU interests, is that there is "no escape" from paying EU import taxes. You are going to have to pay them one way or another. You might have just gotten lucky, or you might be getting an invoice from the shipping company a few weeks after delivery. Often with express services they will deliver first, bill later. But who is to say.

As for our situation, we use a 3rd party warehouse which scales well and rarely makes mistakes. It's been good for us so far, but international shipping has always been on the high side. We're working on improving that in the future.

As for doing a mass shipment to the EU, in a container, by sea, that's certainly an option. We used to import chassis from Hifi2000 to the US by sea. It took 6 months (a month or two to manufacture, half a month to wait for a ship to turn up, 3 months at sea, a month in the US docks and dealing with customs fees and charges you wouldn't believe even existed, and then getting the items to the warehouse, sometimes the truck would forget to bring a hydraulic lift and everything would have to go back to the port... ... so while "ship a container by sea" sounds simple enough, the reality is quite different.

Doing a pallet air shipment to the EU is an option too, but really requires a whole lot more effort to co-ordinate - find an EU company you trust to receive the goods and distribute them. Co-ordinate all the tracking numbers, follow up with customers, who is to blame when things go missing, etc. I have to say that keeping it simple is sometimes the best option. Despite that, there is merit in your ideas. When we're "big enough" and have enough EU sales to warrant doing a "pallet drop" (maybe next pre-order), this might be worth investigating.
Old 14th May 2018, 10:40 AM   #24
silmel is offline silmel  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That said, I just added the basic kit (not including PSU) to a shopping cart and entered a random address in Berlin (10785). The cheapest shipping method (USPS First class, which if it's > $100 in value, which this is, is tracked and insured) came to $30.03. USPS Priority (which is tracked and insured) was $54.66.
Unfortunately the cheapest price to Austria (just next to Germany - no island or anything special) is around 60$ just for the basic kit. And then we also have to pay customs (20% tax) on product price AND shipping cost.

What a pity - I understand that it is hard for such a small shop to offer alternatives ...
Old 14th May 2018, 10:42 AM   #25
plsvn is offline plsvn  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
You can still use the RCA inputs and run the amp as stereo. The XLR is mono as it uses both channels to run one speaker. The XLR does not interfere with the RCA inputs, use one or the others. Don't need to rewire anything to change it.
so... once built as XLR mono also the RCA mono "mod" can still be applied?
Old 14th May 2018, 01:22 PM   #26
killahdub is offline killahdub
diyAudio Member

Hello there. I have some questions and hopefully you can help me.

Will the ACA 1.6 stereo move nicely 2 Magnat Supreme 2002 speakers in a small-medium sized room (about 7x8m by eye, being the listening position around ~2.5m far from them). They have a sensivity of 93db.

Still deciding the preamp, I can easily get a Carver C1 for ~160€ in nice condition that I would apply the BillD mod. Will it do a nice match with the ACA? Its costs is nearly the same as my budget for the preamp. I am also considering DIY options, but this will be a fast route since I don't really have too much time to DIY :S

Many thanks.
Old 14th May 2018, 03:16 PM   #27
johnnycamp5 is offline johnnycamp5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plsvn View Post
so... once built as XLR mono also the RCA mono "mod" can still be applied?
I was also wondering which rca input to use for mono block use.

Or to use an rca jack “splitter” and plug into both jacks with identical split signal (left or right).
Old 14th May 2018, 03:48 PM   #28
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycamp5 View Post
I was also wondering which rca input to use for mono block use.
You feed the amp to the left, and the RCA plug with the resistor is connected from the left red speaker jack to the right RCA input. Output taken from the two black speaker jacks. See the link below.

Quote:
Or to use an rca jack “splitter” and plug into both jacks with identical split signal (left or right).
That doesn't work as paralleling the outputs is not a good idea.

Monoblock section of the html guide has been updated, see this post -

ACA V1.5 Illustrated Build Guide
Old 14th May 2018, 03:56 PM   #29
johnnycamp5 is offline johnnycamp5  United States
diyAudio Member

So the new kit works for (rca input) mono exactly as the V1.5 did.

Thank you 6L6.
Old 14th May 2018, 03:59 PM   #30
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Correct. The changes to the new kit is mainly about the power switch in the front. The important audio bits are all the same.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6Hide this!Advertise here!