Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2018, 07:11 AM   #271
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Nothing that can't be fixed easily and cheaply

The FET's can be removed by snipping the leads (if you aren't familiar with de-soldering practices and have the necessary stuff). You can then heat and remove each 'stump' with pliers and finally clean the hole with a bit of stainless wire and heat. Solder won't stick to stainless. Or use solder braid.

I can't say for sure if the FET's will be OK... although I suspect they will be. The critical thing would be whether the Vgs parameter has been exceeded and if so then by how much in relation to the FET's spec. Power FET's like the IRFP240 are typically -/+20 volts and you have up to 24 volts available.

Without the FET's fitted you should actually end up with close to zero volts at the amplifiers mid point. Its a bit hard to visualise what would happen in your set up with reversed FET's

For what a set of new FET's would cost it might be wise to replace them.

All easily fixable though.
Old 14th October 2018, 12:43 PM   #272
gstengel is offline gstengel
diyAudio Member

I went ahead and ordered new FETs, just to be sure. I can desolder with no trouble I think. I'm still sort of shaking my head in disbelief. Being my first build I was trying to be really careful. I'm very colorblind so I even had a friend help with the resistors, just to make sure I didn't confuse any. I just didn't notice the orientation on the IRFP240s. Live and learn I guess.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6Hide this!Advertise here!