Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2018, 10:01 PM   #191
Jason is offline Jason  Australia
:)
diyAudio Administrator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Alan - great! The guide will be tweaked as time goes on, and contributions like yours are very welcome. There has also been some good feedback in the step comments and we are integrating things as time allows.
Old 13th September 2018, 12:49 AM   #192
rekterx is offline rekterx  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Folks .... I've had my kit for a while and I just started putting it together. I'm having a blast! Some of my soldering leaves a bit to be desired. Let's hope it all works.

I have a question.

I'm at the point of wiring up the front panel power switch and I guess I got a bit greedy making the twisted pair of red wires that are connected to the pin of the power input jack on the back panel. I don't have enough left to make the two short pieces that connect the pub's to the front switch. But ... I have enough of the heavier gauge blue and black wire used on the speaker terminals left over to make the two needed pieces.

Am I correct in thinking that the heavier gauge wire will present no problem between the switch and the pcbs? Or do I need to find some lighter gauge wire?

And finally ... do I sound like noob?
Old 13th September 2018, 06:50 AM   #193
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekterx View Post
Hello Folks .... I've had my kit for a while and I just started putting it together. I'm having a blast! Some of my soldering leaves a bit to be desired. Let's hope it all works.

I have a question.

I'm at the point of wiring up the front panel power switch and I guess I got a bit greedy making the twisted pair of red wires that are connected to the pin of the power input jack on the back panel. I don't have enough left to make the two short pieces that connect the pub's to the front switch. But ... I have enough of the heavier gauge blue and black wire used on the speaker terminals left over to make the two needed pieces.

Am I correct in thinking that the heavier gauge wire will present no problem between the switch and the pcbs? Or do I need to find some lighter gauge wire?

And finally ... do I sound like noob?
You are correct. The heavier gauge is perfect for the job.

Alan
Old 13th September 2018, 08:02 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan4411 View Post
You are correct. The heavier gauge is perfect for the job.

Alan
Many thanks!
Old 14th September 2018, 11:32 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

OK .... I thought I completed by build. I went to test and set the bias and one side I got dialed into 12v. But the other side I could never move off of a setting between 34-36 volts!

Any thoughts. Remember .... I am a serious noob when it comes to electronics.
Old 15th September 2018, 01:05 AM   #196
RafaPolit is offline RafaPolit  Ecuador
diyAudio Member

Rejterx, is this an ‘auto sensing’ voltmeter? Are you sure it is not changing to mV or something similar?

Are you sure you are measuring the same MOSFET pin?

Rafa.
Old 15th September 2018, 01:12 AM   #197
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaPolit View Post
Rejterx, is this an ‘auto sensing’ voltmeter? Are you sure it is not changing to mV or something similar?

Are you sure you are measuring the same MOSFET pin?

Rafa.
I've used two meters. Neither is auto sensing and I have used the middle pin. I have checked this several times with each meter.
Old 15th September 2018, 01:21 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

Mystery solved! I grabbed the wrong power supply .... a 36 volt supply that I use on a tda4798e amp. Oops!
Old 15th September 2018, 03:50 AM   #199
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6
Hopefully the 36v didn't fry anything.
Old 15th September 2018, 02:29 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

OK .... The Man with the Momentary 36v ACA reports ...... all seems to be well. Whew!

Since I was able to bias it and now play it (It sounds great. Lovely little amp!) am I in the clear? Or should I lay awake at night wondering if I have done something that will severely shorten the life of this wonderful little beastie of an amp?

BUT .... right now let me say thank-yous to Mr. Nelson Pass, Jason, 6L6, and everyone else that providence has brought together to create this wonderful world of online audio people who inspired me to take up this little project.

I discovered this website a few years when I was googling around researching a potential speaker building project. It was then I found myself in 6L6's F5 build thread. I thought it was pretty cool. And I had already heard of Nelson Pass. So I investigated farther and the rest is history .... AMP #1 is in the Books!

I figure the only thing better than an ACA is a second ACA ..... or an F5 ... or an Aleph J ..... or ..... DON"T LET MY WIFE SEE THIS POST!

Blessings and thanks to all!

Amp Camp Amp Kit V1.6Hide this!Advertise here!