Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8

If I was local, I'd be suggesting a co-build session on a mutually convenient weekend.

Covid doesn't help but it would be great if you had a community member close by, who could help you love the amp camp dream.

From personal experience, there's a real thrill in (what I call) making your own music that adds to the joy.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We'll be publishing a detailed V1.6 to V1.8 upgrade guide in the next few days, however it's just a switch and minor wiring change to add easy access to bridged and parallel mono and a diagram on the back so make it (somewhat!) easier to know what to plug in where. That's it.

The new switch is an on-off-on DPDT switch. You can buy one here:

Parts Express DPDT Mini Paddle Switch Center Off

The V1.8 wiring diagram is here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1006/5046/files/ACA_wiring_-_All_Together_-_V18.pdf?v=1593415056

The PCB is the exact same PCB used in the V1.6 kit. The V1.8 parts kit contains the new switch and wire to suit the V1.8 diagram. The V1.8 chassis has a printed rear panel and a new upgraded bracket mounting system (using weld nuts and bolts instead of screws) that is slowly rolling out across the whole Hifi2000 product range.

Jim's working on some new pictures, and over this weekend a lot of the documentation will be updated.

We aren't currently selling the new rear panel by itself but it will be available for sale in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was local, I'd be suggesting a co-build session on a mutually convenient weekend.

Covid doesn't help but it would be great if you had a community member close by, who could help you love the amp camp dream.

From personal experience, there's a real thrill in (what I call) making your own music that adds to the joy.

I've just completed my 6th Amp Camp (I've built one of each iteration with my kids now), and was wondering along the same lines if DiyAudio could host a hack-a-thon style virtual Amp Camp build session. I'd very much be game in helping out.

Happy 4th of July Everyone!

I currently own and Built my 1.6, which I plan on updating to the new Switch, I also just received my 2nd Kit, so will be running them in mono mode. My Question is what are the characteristics or the Differences (Advantage/Disadvantage) between running Bridged/Balanced/Parallel Mono modes?

OK one more, i'm sure that the supplied power supply is up to the task, but, are there any upgrade (kits or off the shelf) options when it comes to the Power Supply?

Thanks DIY for such speedy delivery of the 1.8 Kit, absolutely Amazing has fast the Kit came after ordering. You Guys, DYI and Nelson Pass ROCK!

Thanks in advanced. Be Safe and Well Peeps!

Last edited:
Happy 4th of July Everyone!

I currently own and Built my 1.6, which I plan on updating to the new Switch, I also just received my 2nd Kit, so will be running them in mono mode. My Question is what are the characteristics or the Differences (Advantage/Disadvantage) between running Bridged/Balanced/Parallel Mono modes?

TOM: Check out the end of the Amp Camp (1.8) build guides for discussions about how to properly set it up for the different modes. Note that the way you wire things depends on which version you are using, so pay close attention as I've made this mistake recently myself! Look at this link for the table at the bottom showing different performance characteristics depending on how its configured:

Amp Camp Amp – diyAudio Store

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1006/5046/files/ACA_Monoblock_Operation_RevA.pdf

The various threads do have discussions on the pros and cons of the setups too.

OK one more, i'm sure that the supplied power supply is up to the task, but, are there any upgrade (kits or off the shelf) options when it comes to the Power Supply?

Thanks DIY for such speedy delivery of the 1.8 Kit, absolutely Amazing has fast the Kit came after ordering. You Guys, DYI and Nelson Pass ROCK!

Thanks in advanced. Be Safe and Well Peeps!

Tom: The options vary from SMPS to variations of the DIYStore's supply setup and more. And of course, ready-made ones from various sources. Check the build threads for ideas. If you search across the various versions, as well as what is discussed in the FirstWatt threads, you'll get a ton of ideas and info. Papa and others have had long explanations and thoughts on this over the years too, so check out those articles/talks.

Generally speaking, an over-sized linear supply seems to perform best (to my tastes) with power amplifiers. Trying a fairly simple-to-build supply like the one on Diyaudiostore is a good place to start and will give you a rough idea of where a linear supply takes off from the wall wart/SMPS. I've found that it works great, is easy to build and sounds great on the First Watts and Amp Camps I've built. From there let the debates will begin. :)

One of the points of why I've built each of the various versions of the AmpCamp is to test, measure and listen to them and learn why various changes make a difference and what kind of difference. For me, this included using various SMPS and linear supplies. I've found that there are differences, some measured and most importantly, some you can hear. There is no ready answer of "use this one, its the best."; the spirit of diyaudio is to experiment and figure out what works best your particular setup. :)

Thanks Tom, My PCBs.

Hey Tom, thanks for the quick reply, I will take a look at all the info you mentioned on the PSupply.

I have the same PCB as the 1.8 kit, I have ordered the switches from PE, I do realize that I will have to re-wire the 1.6 build to 1.8 wire layout. Thanks again for the reminder, I will double check again :).

Enjoy the 4th Tom.

Mark.:cheers:

ACA 1.8 parts kit help, por favor

I happily received the parts kit yesterday afternoon (already had the PS and chassis) and am getting started. I've already built a v 1.6, and so am hoping for a smooth building experience.

While inventorying the kit I found a minor mismatch against the list of what's expected, at least for a 1.6 kit. Instead of six 10k resistors (green mark on tape) there were just four, along with two unmarked resistors that measure at 33k ohms.

Is this a version change? If so, I'll wait until more details of the 1.8 vs 1.6 are available. If its just a simple packing mistake I'll head over to the local Radio Shack and pick up some 10k resistors. On their web site they list two options: 1/8 watt and 1/2 watt. Any advice on which, if either, would be appropriate?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Same Here.

I happily received the parts kit yesterday afternoon (already had the PS and chassis) and am getting started. I've already built a v 1.6, and so am hoping for a smooth building experience.

While inventorying the kit I found a minor mismatch against the list of what's expected, at least for a 1.6 kit. Instead of six 10k resistors (green mark on tape) there were just four, along with two unmarked resistors that measure at 33k ohms.

Is this a version change? If so, I'll wait until more details of the 1.8 vs 1.6 are available. If its just a simple packing mistake I'll head over to the local Radio Shack and pick up some 10k resistors. On their web site they list two options: 1/8 watt and 1/2 watt. Any advice on which, if either, would be appropriate?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi, My kit has the same as yours, guess we will wait to the 1.8 Guide Hits. Happy 4th.

Mark

I haven't built the 1.6 or any other product with the Hfif2000 chassis, but I just finished my 1.8. Just listening to it in the garage on test speakers, but it works!

I built it per the 1.6 guide as far as wiring goes, so I might need to triple check the 3-way switch wiring, but in RCA mono mode and the switch up, it made sound too, so maybe I'm not too far off.

Thanks for the great kit to all that have been involved from Nelson's original design through all the updates and sourcing of components to make this a really easy build!

Sandy.

PS: My kit's BOM (1.8) said 4x (R7 &R11) 10kohm (green label) and 2x (R13) 33.2kohm (no color on label) and that's what I got in the kit.

Last edited:
I haven't built the 1.6 or any other product with the Hfif2000 chassis, but I just finished my 1.8. Just listening to it in the garage on test speakers, but it works!

I built it per the 1.6 guide as far as wiring goes, so I might need to triple check the 3-way switch wiring, but in RCA mono mode and the switch up, it made sound too, so maybe I'm not too far off.

Thanks for the great kit to all that have been involved from Nelson's original design through all the updates and sourcing of components to make this a really easy build!

Sandy.

PS: My kit's BOM (1.8) said 4x (R7 &R11) 10kohm (green label) and 2x (R13) 33.2kohm (no color on label) and that's what I got in the kit.
OK, thanks Sandy. That's helpful. I guess I didn't get a copy of the BoM (and/or, I'm too uninformed to know where to find it). From your message I see that the 33k resistors are for R13, which should affect only the LEDs. Perhaps the resistance was raised to dim them?