Go Back   Home > Forums > >

The diyAudio Store A forum for discussing anything about the products available in The diyAudio Store.

Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8
Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2021, 05:49 AM   #1001
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8
that's good.
Old 21st June 2021, 01:26 AM   #1002
Broth is offline Broth  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Meanwell 24v power supply

Could a single Meanwell 24 volt power supply safely run two ACA 1.8 amps using a Y splitter?
Old 21st June 2021, 05:42 AM   #1003
Alan4411 is offline Alan4411  Wales
diyAudio Member

No use two bricks...
Each ACA amp chassis takes a little over 3 Amps.
Old 20th July 2021, 06:36 PM   #1004
Cheesesounds is offline Cheesesounds
diyAudio Member

Hi,
So I built two of the ACA’s hoping to use them in mono. I had a few problems but you guys were able to straighten me out and everything seemed fine. I connected and tried both amps to some old speakers I had laying around and everything seemed fine. This was several months ago. I was waiting for my speakers to arrive and this is my secondary system so the amps just sat there. My new speakers arrived and I hooked everything up and now Everything has gone to hell. I have much more volume from one amp then the other amp. As a matter of fact one amp is barely audible. I tried switching speakers since the speakers were new and tried switching speaker cables in case something is wrong with the cables and nothing the volume on one amp is much higher than the other amp. So, any ideas before I tear everything apart and compare everything including settings. So you know my set up in case it’s relevant. Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend speakers, Schiit Valhalla pre-amp, Denafrips Ares II DAC and a BlueSound Nide 2i as a source.
Helpppppp!!!
Old 20th July 2021, 06:45 PM   #1005
diyAudio Member

Start by trying the quieter amp as a stereo amp. Is it one channel that is quieter or are both quiet?
And do the same with the louder amp, just to be sure it is working correctly.
Let us know your results,
Old 20th July 2021, 07:05 PM   #1006
Puma Cat is offline Puma Cat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesounds View Post
Hi,
So I built two of the ACA’s hoping to use them in mono. I had a few problems but you guys were able to straighten me out and everything seemed fine. I connected and tried both amps to some old speakers I had laying around and everything seemed fine. This was several months ago. I was waiting for my speakers to arrive and this is my secondary system so the amps just sat there. My new speakers arrived and I hooked everything up and now Everything has gone to hell. I have much more volume from one amp then the other amp. As a matter of fact one amp is barely audible. I tried switching speakers since the speakers were new and tried switching speaker cables in case something is wrong with the cables and nothing the volume on one amp is much higher than the other amp. So, any ideas before I tear everything apart and compare everything including settings. So you know my set up in case it’s relevant. Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend speakers, Schiit Valhalla pre-amp, Denafrips Ares II DAC and a BlueSound Nide 2i as a source.
Helpppppp!!!
Be sure that the switch on both amps is set to Bridged Mono (flipped in the Upward position). It's very easy to flip the switch out of the Bridged Mono position.

Also, check connections to the binding posts of the speakers cables for a bridged mono configuration for each amp and speaker is also correct, including the polarity of each speaker cable. Examine the diagram on the back carefully and make connections of each channel's speaker cable, the - and the + leads, to the correct binding post. It's easy to connect them incorrectly, so examine the diagram for a bridged mono configuration carefully.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 20th July 2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 20th July 2021, 08:11 PM   #1007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan4411 View Post
Start by trying the quieter amp as a stereo amp. Is it one channel that is quieter or are both quiet?
And do the same with the louder amp, just to be sure it is working correctly.
Let us know your results,
Hi again, well I tried running them both on Stereo. The amp that I was getting good sound out of was fine in Stereo. The other amp with the volume problem one of the channels had no sound. Switched speakers and problem remained.
So I am thinking I have a wiring problem?
Thanks,
J
Old 20th July 2021, 08:12 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Be sure that the switch on both amps is set to Bridged Mono (flipped in the Upward position). It's very easy to flip the switch out of the Bridged Mono position.

Also, check connections to the binding posts of the speakers cables for a bridged mono configuration for each amp and speaker is also correct, including the polarity of each speaker cable. Examine the diagram on the back carefully and make connections of each channel's speaker cable, the - and the + leads, to the correct binding post. It's easy to connect them incorrectly, so examine the diagram for a bridged mono configuration carefully.
I had actually tried all that and nothing but I think I wired something wrong.
Old 21st July 2021, 08:14 AM   #1009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesounds View Post
Hi again, well I tried running them both on Stereo. The amp that I was getting good sound out of was fine in Stereo. The other amp with the volume problem one of the channels had no sound. Switched speakers and problem remained.
So I am thinking I have a wiring problem?
Thanks,
J
At least you know which board / channel is the problem and where to focus.
80% plus of the ACA faults are poor soldering or wiring problems.

On the 'bad' channel check for shorted output and input sockets:
Check the resistance from the Red to Black speaker socket. It should be 500Ω to 1kΩ.
With the rear switch in the central position, check the resistance from the outer ring of the RCA socket to the centre pin. It should be about 50kΩ.
Check the 'good' channel for comparison.

Do both the 2 big transistors (Q1 and Q2) get hot?
Are you able to set the 'bias' to 12 volts?

What was the problem (you mentioned) that required forum help with before?

Post some good pictures of the faulty side board and wiring if you can.
Also have a look at the troubleshooting section of the v1.6 build guide. Amp Camp Amp V1.6 Build Guide - diyAudio Guides

Alan

Last edited by Alan4411; 21st July 2021 at 08:33 AM.
  Reply to this post

Amp Camp Amp Kit 1.6/1.8Hide this!Advertise here!